Top 10 Jobs Shunned By Thais

webfact

I've yet to see anybody bring forth any info to dispute it.

Is the word stubborn familiar to you?

Please, bring forth something to dispute the FACT that "in general Thais work longer hours for less pay than those in the west" or stop being so stubborn about arguing a well known fact.

I have never said that they don't work more hours for less pay,even a blind man can see that,but I highly dispute the unemployment figures provided.

Well then please don't take a quote of mine about a different subject and pretend it applies to a completely different subject.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What twaddle. But there's one born every minute, so they say, who are gullible enough to swallow it. Well-known facts that are accepted without question can be the source of greatest error, Nisa. It really is best not to believe everything you hear, but use your own brain and eyes, and do some of your own thinking and critical analysis from observation of the real world.

I'd be interested to get your answer to the original question. These statistics look highly disputable "facts" to me. Thanks.

Does that figure include 80-year old women selling clothing and fruit by the roadside to scrape enough together for the day's meal? How are these statistics collected? Census? Tax returns? Social security claims? How?

Thailand Unemployment Rate

The unemployment rate in Thailand was last reported at 0.8 percent in November of 2011. From 2001 until 2010, Thailand's Unemployment Rate averaged 1.92 percent reaching an historical high of 5.73 percent in January of 2001 and a record low of 0.85 percent in December of 2007. The labour force is defined as the number of people employed plus the number unemployed but seeking work. The nonlabour force includes those who are not looking for work, those who are institutionalised and those serving in the military. This page includes: Thailand Unemployment Rate chart, historical data and news.

http://www.tradingec...employment-rate

Does that figure include 80-year old women selling clothing and fruit by the roadside to scrape enough together for the day's meal? How are these statistics collected? Census? Tax returns? Social security claims? How?

The unemployment rate in Thailand was last reported at 0.8 percent in November of 2011. From 2001 until 2010, Thailand's Unemployment Rate averaged 1.92 percent reaching an historical high of 5.73 percent in January of 2001 and a record low of 0.85 percent in December of 2007. The labour force is defined as the number of people employed plus the number unemployed but seeking work. The nonlabour force includes those who are not looking for work, those who are institutionalised and those serving in the military. This page includes: Thailand Unemployment Rate chart, historical data and news.

I'd be interested to get your answer to the original question. These statistics look highly disputable "facts" to me. Thanks.

The original question about the 80-year old women or the previous question of the source of the stats?

80 year old women can be answered by simply looking at the definition for unemployment in the link.

Source of data is in just about every link, if not all, that I posted.

http://en.wikipedia....employment_rate

http://edition.cnn.c...ment/index.html

http://www.indexmund...yment_rate.html

http://www.tradingec...list-by-country

http://thailand-busi...q4#.Tz5m2fHOWSo

So. if you really are curious, just do some reading/reseach.

Edited by Nisa

I have never said that they don't work more hours for less pay,even a blind man can see that,but I highly dispute the unemployment figures provided.

Well then please don't take a quote of mine about a different subject and pretend it applies to a completely different subject.

coffee1.gifviolin.gif

So you don't know, either. Well, thanks anyway.

The original question about the 80-year old women or the previous question of the source of the stats?

80 year old women can be answered by simply looking at the definition for unemployment in the link.

Source of data is in just about every link, if not all, that I posted.

http://en.wikipedia....employment_rate

http://edition.cnn.c...ment/index.html

http://www.indexmund...yment_rate.html

http://www.tradingec...list-by-country

http://thailand-busi...q4#.Tz5m2fHOWSo

So. if you really are curious, just do some reading/reseach.

I highly dispute the unemployment figures provided.

Which ones? The ones listed on CNN, the ones from Wikipedia, CIA World Facts, Trading Economics, National Economic and Social Development Board, NSO (National Stats Office), Bank of Thailand or ones from the many other sources quoting and putting out these figures?

Edited by Nisa

Yes, those ones. Disputable, they are.

Which ones? The ones listed on CNN, the ones from Wikipedia, CIA World Facts, Trading Economics, National Economic and Social Development Board, NSO (National Stats Office), Bank of Thailand or one on the many other sites quoting and putting out these figures?

Which ones? The ones listed on CNN, the ones from Wikipedia, CIA World Facts, Trading Economics, National Economic and Social Development Board, NSO (National Stats Office), Bank of Thailand or one on the many other sites quoting and putting out these figures?

All of them since you still didn't provide an answer to how they are calculated in a country that doesn't have unemployment benefits or an organisation for that matter.

I also can look outside my window and make a wild guess,it will differ on rainy days from the days there is sunshine though.

Edited by janverbeem

Yes, those ones. Disputable, they are.

All of them since you still didn't provide an answer to how they are calculated in a country that doesn't have unemployment benefits or an organisation for that matter.

I also can look outside my window and make a wild guess,it will differ on rainy days from the days there is sunshine though.

Well you certainly are welcome to let all the Global Economists, who rely on these figures, to know you dispute them .. maybe tell them that from your vantage (Soi 4 or 23?) things look different.

Obviously unemployment data from each country is disputable and not completely accurate but it is very accurate for comparison sake and widely accepted by those who depend on these numbers for such things as investing in foreign countries. But if you choose to not to want to believe that Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world, like those in the know believe, then that is up to you. If you do believe this and simply want to dispute exact numbers then it is a very silly and moot point.

Edited by Nisa

Why do you ask me questions and to do your research when I provide answers & links only to have you argue and disbelieve them? Why not do some research on your own instead of just arguing because you don't want to believe something?

Thailand is not the only country whose unemployment benefits are largely handled through the companies in the form of severance pay but those countries also keep track of unemployment rates. Even in the US, that does have an unemployment organization, this is not where the unemployment figures come from. They come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those on unemployment insurance are not what dictates the unemployment rate provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It is largely based on surveys.

Unemployment figures for Thailand are never going to be completely accurate, because the majority of workers are not registered with the government. If they stop working at some small business the government doesn't know. They probably take the workers they know are unemployed, which is currently 171,000 according to the OP, and extrapolate that on the whole population. There are roughly 9 million registered to pay income tax, so 171,000 of that is about 2% which is what all the stats for Thailand seem to say.

from

http://www.nationmul...s-30164639.html

The country's tax revenue is provided by only a small group of people. According to statistics released last year, only 2.3 million people nationwide pay personal income tax to help finance public spending for the country's population of more than 64 million. Some 9 million people file personal income tax returns each year, but the majority are exempt from tax liability as they earn less than Bt20,000 per month.

• Like 1

Thank you for accepting the contention that "facts" can be disputable.... Even sacred statistics. Nite nite. smile.png

Actually facts are facts and by definition are not disputable or they wouldn't be facts. As for unemployment figures, I've never even hinted that they are indisputable. As I have stated before, the only thing I said that was indisputable was that "in general, Thais work longer hours for less pay than those in the west" ... Again, please stop pretending that was in any way related to this discussion of unemployment figures.

Edited by Nisa

• 6 months later...

The Department of Employment conducted a survey unemployed individuals in Thailand. There're approximately 171,000 people who are unemployed as of December, 2011. At the same time, there are as many as 75,000 employment vacancies in various business sectors that have been shunned by the Thais without jobs.

171,000 unemployed? 75,000 job vacancies?

Are these figures supposed to be for the whole of Thailand, or just one small district, of Bangkok?

jb1

Probably all of Thailand which does have an incredibly low unemployment rate.

Thai stats seem incredibly unreliable on anything so I doubt seriously the reported unemployment is an actual reflection on anything.

In my opinion the Top Ten most undesirable jobs in Thailand would be,

1. Thai "Massage Parlor" Cleaner

2. Roadkill removal officer

3. Construction worker

4. Toll booth worker

5. Nana Plaza/Kowboy/Patpong toilet cleaner

6. Razor blade, ping pong ball, fish, etc swallower and projectile launcher

7. Septic Tank Maintenance.

8. Crocodile farm limb donor.

9. Garbage collector

10. Political canvasser.

In my opinion the Top Ten most undesirable jobs in Thailand would be,

1. Thai "Massage Parlor" Cleaner

2. Roadkill removal officer

3. Construction worker

4. Toll booth worker

5. Nana Plaza/Kowboy/Patpong toilet cleaner

6. Razor blade, ping pong ball, fish, etc swallower and projectile launcher

7. Septic Tank Maintenance.

8. Crocodile farm limb donor.

9. Garbage collector

10. Political canvasser.

This job would also be in the top 10 in Thailand.

Elephant vasectomist

The elephant is the largest animal on land, so sterilizing this giant creature is a giant job. An elephant's testicle is one foot across and sits behind two inches of skin, four inches of fat and 10 inches of muscle.

one slip of the hand and you're in trouble. w00t.gif

The Department of Employment conducted a survey unemployed individuals in Thailand. There're approximately 171,000 people who are unemployed as of December, 2011. At the same time, there are as many as 75,000 employment vacancies in various business sectors that have been shunned by the Thais without jobs.

Are these figures supposed to be for the whole of Thailand, or just one small district, of Bangkok?

jb1

According to the PM it's 300,000.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/568093-pm-yingluck-eurozone-debt-crisis-will-not-affect-thailand/

I think an unemployment rate below around 2% is considered full employment as there will always be people moving between jobs. I can't remember the number of working age Thais but I think 300,000 gives a percentage rate that in developed countries would be taken as full employment. I wouldn't put too much confidence in these figures anyway for the reasons stated in previous posts.

jb1

According to the PM it's 300,000.

http://www.thaivisa....ffect-thailand/

I think an unemployment rate below around 2% is considered full employment as there will always be people moving between jobs. I can't remember the number of working age Thais but I think 300,000 gives a percentage rate that in developed countries would be taken as full employment. I wouldn't put too much confidence in these figures anyway for the reasons stated in previous posts.

The 171k is from a report at the end of 2011. The 300k you are mentioning is from a report last month. Both are for all of Thailand. And to be clear, one has to be looking for a job to be counted as unemployed. It is not a figure of people capable or of age to work who are not working. This is a pretty standard way to measure unemployment across the globe.

Edit: I think the 170k figure represented a rate just above around .75%

Edited by Nisa

If only the statistics were in any way reliable.

Thailand has hundreds of thousands of people sitting about doing little or nothing, who are not interested in bettering themselves or working in gainful employment.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

If only the statistics were in any way reliable.

Thailand has hundreds of thousands of people sitting about doing little or nothing, who are not interested in bettering themselves or working in gainful employment.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Thai unemployment figures are as reliable as anywhere else where it is calculated by the number of people without a job but looking for one ... which is the way most countries calculate an unemployment rate. It has absolutely nothing to do with people who are able or choose not to work.