Tom Yum

MikeandDow

http://www.google.co.th/search?q=tom+yum&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=feA8T_ORJczHrQfKwsXRBw&sqi=2&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1426&bih=723

To me Tom Yum is NOT a Clear soup ??? Iam having this argument with people in OZ they are saying TOM YUM is a clear soup but I eat it 3 or 4 times a week out of the wifes resturant and to me it's not a clear soup please clarify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird- I must have had it a few hundred times and never been asked this. Although, when you dig into it it is a cloudy brew, and the reds are floating on the top. So I just dont understand the waiter LOL. I will go for the clear next time.

Edited by AdamBanks

Nám sãi = clear version

Nám khôn = "concentrated" non-clear version made with prik phao (chili paste) and sometimes coconut milk

Available everywhere.

Wot he said...

Except in this context khôn means cloudy/murky.

My mum used to use fresh non-pasteurised cow's milk as a khôn-ing agent; the way that the milk cooks and curdles ever so slightly in the extreme heat of a fresh pot of Tom Yum compliments the shrimpy flavour nicely - I thoroughly recommend it!

jap.gif

Edited by Trembly

Nám sãi = clear version

Nám khôn = "concentrated" non-clear version made with prik phao (chili paste) and sometimes coconut milk

Available everywhere.

Wot he said...

Except in this context khôn means cloudy/murky.

My mum used to use fresh non-pasteurised cow's milk as a khôn-ing agent; the way that the milk cooks and curdles ever so slightly in the extreme heat of a fresh pot of Tom Yum compliments the shrimpy flavour nicely - I thoroughly recommend it!

jap.gif

Some use a raw egg to get the curdle effect,but coconut milk is now used with red chilly paste,sometimes if it is a bit harsh on the throat it is not been cooked out properly.

tom khaa is a nice soup also made with coconut and galangal.

the texture of the broth doesn't matter with tom yum as it's used to flavor the other ingredients; goong, gai, etc....I usually don't eat the broth except to spoon a small bit over the rice after extracting the other ingredients...how can one expect to obtain a clear broth with coconut milk as a main ingredient?

tom yum is a classic thai dish just like soto ayam in indonesia with loads of variations depending on where ye go...

'classic with variations'? waidaminit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior