Spiders In The House

BillJohnson

yes

get rid of them, pest control outside. Just end their lives and dont just drop them outside.

clean more often, looks like theres lot of insects in your house

Disagree. spiders keep all the other nasties away. There are very few really poisonous species in Thailand and I don't think these inhabit houses - there's another thread about this on TV ()

yes

get rid of them, pest control outside. Just end their lives and dont just drop them outside.

clean more often, looks like theres lot of insects in your house

Do you have a ticket to the next planet?

After you've finished poisoning this one, of course.

Blow on them - they run like crazy & usually like to hide behind things. Like your dunny roll laugh.png

As far as I have been able to discover, there are no dangerous spiders in Thailand.

The 'bird spider' (about 10 cm across) is poisonous, but no more than a bee.

I'm sure we all see the occasional Huntsman spider in our houses which we avoid as they are pretty big - but they are harmless.

Presumably 'Thailand' was joking as Sysardman is right - they do a valuable job from our POV, albeit not the mossies etc.

While most spiders in Thailand are harmless to adults, the bites of many can be extremely unpleasant and downright dangerous to the elderly or kids.

In addition to this, the bites of many species of spider in Thailand can cause anaphylaxis therefore to dismiss them as "harmless" isn't strictly true.

If they are becoming regular visitors to your home this means that there is either a food source in your home or close by.

Larger spiders will feed on not just insects but also small rodents, amphibians and such like, so I would suggest you give your home and garden a good going over and try and locate any potential food source and remove it.

It could also be that a female has "nested" near/in your home. If that is the case then the "problem" will only be temporary.

Hate spiders but I would not kill them just for the sake of it, we have a lovely little green tree frog living in our Orchids, hope this is safe!!

You have A tree frog? Believe me, there are many more around!

I see them all the bloody time - sleeping in my drying washing (so I can only bring in the rest of the washing), in my 'watering' pot etc. etc.

But I love them too (even when they frequently jump on me - taking me by suprise).

While most spiders in Thailand are harmless to adults, the bites of many can be extremely unpleasant and downright dangerous to the elderly or kids.

In addition to this, the bites of many species of spider in Thailand can cause anaphylaxis therefore to dismiss them as "harmless" isn't strictly true.

If they are becoming regular visitors to your home this means that there is either a food source in your home or close by.

Larger spiders will feed on not just insects but also small rodents, amphibians and such like, so I would suggest you give your home and garden a good going over and try and locate any potential food source and remove it.

It could also be that a female has "nested" near/in your home. If that is the case then the "problem" will only be temporary.

Interesting. Which spiders feed on "rodents, amphibians and such like" ?

I know about the 'bird spider' so look forward to hearing about those that eat rats, squirrels, toads etc.

Which is why i recommended to get rid of all spiders since most posters on thaivisa are elderly with kids. Better safe than sorry.

Which is why i recommended to get rid of all spiders since most posters on thaivisa are elderly with kids. Better safe than sorry.

Spiders have their place. Never been bothered by spiders ever since I've lived here.

Just let them get on with their business.

Sounds like you run and scream like a little girl if you see a spider?

Most of your "hunter" spiders will tackle small rodents, lizards, reptiles etc.

This is mass hysteria now - the kind of spiders you are talking about live in Amazonian rain forests and the like. Thailand spiders at most will only inflict a bite that is no worse than a bee sting - are you going to suggest we kill all the bees, wasps and everything else capable of inflicting a sting, bite etc. Anyway I've yet to see a rat stuck in a spider's web. As one poster observed spiders don't eat mozzies but they still help control them as the mozzies do get caught in webs. If spiders are dangerous to the elderly and kids maybe we should put them down 'cos lets face it the elderly and kids can be a nuisance tooclap2.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. We had another "surprise" tonight, this time a skinner, longer legs and sort of red color. From the research I did it seems this is the male, but again if you think the spider on the photo below is dangerous let us know.

Our house in Phuket is temporary we are only renting until end of April, so we should be OK!

34hci6d.jpg

Keep encouraging the green tree frogs. They EAT spiders!

Huntsmen type spiders don't tend to have webs to catch things in. This is why they're called 'huntsmen'. Big politically incorrect that...

Note green treefrog in picture - occasionally you'll find a very neat package of poo which is recycled cockroaches. But maybe that's only in Australia.

If you have anaphylaxis, you need to carry an EpiPen. Spraying is not the answer. Also, if you're worried about the elderly & kids, why not learn first aid for spider bites? Do you carry an elastic bandage or two?

They are harmless but if you're getting them in this regularly then you have a food source in your house.

Find it, remove it.

I will also warn you that his spider WILL cling to you and bite repeatedly if you corner it and try and catch it by hand as they have what is known as a "cling mechanism".

This is very basically, a defensive device against any predator, which will usually deter said predator..

The best way to get shut is to "shoo it" away. i.e, scare it off with a paper; however don't thrash at it, just "encourage" it out.

The best way to get shut is to "shoo it" away. i.e, scare it off with a paper;

I attempted to do that once with a quite large one in my living room. It went straight at me at a scary pace. Definitely got the adrenaline going as I didn't know if it was harmless or not at the time.

Get a large container and a sheet of paper..

Go from behind, moving slowly and from UNDER the spider.

Place receptacle over the spider.

The slide the paper under the receptacle.

Take outside and be done with it.

Either that or give it a blast of insect spray if you must.

Don't listen to the scaremongers here, all of whom are ignorant about the breeding habits of Arachnids.

One or two won't be missed and indeed a blast of spray will (in most cases) merely stun it.

The other thing to consider is that u will need very tyoxic chemicals to actually kill spiders and usually what happens when people spray around the outside of their houses for spiders is that the spiders will migrate into the safety of the inside of the house just as they tend to do with prolonged wet weather. Spiders are not stupid.

Those aren't poisonous but their stings can be nasty, even for the small household ones that like to hide in your closet or fall onto your face when you sleep - the best cure for those stings is to rub aloe vera on the bites.

Edited by LadyinRed

I'm sure we all see the occasional Huntsman spider in our houses which we avoid as they are pretty big - but they are harmless

We had one of these in our bathroom last week, the size of a mans hand. Harmless, ever heard of heart attacks?

• Like 1