Anchovies In Chiangmai

sanpakwan

I write to you with so little information as to be almost useless.

I live on Sithiwongse Rd, not far from the north west edge of Chinatown.

There is a super cool small shop near me, on a 1 way street, I think it's Korean???

I can get New Zealand cheeses, cheap and fresh coffee beans, marmite!, nice Muesli, all sorts of weird and rare foods.

I bet they have anchovies, and if they don't, I bet they will track them down and supply for you...

It's run by a funny old lady who adds your purchases up on scraps of paper.

Someone help me here!!!

I will go and take a photo ok, maybe check for anchovies.... Because I am a nice man...

I write to you with so little information as to be almost useless.

I live on Sithiwongse Rd, not far from the north west edge of Chinatown.

There is a super cool small shop near me, on a 1 way street, I think it's Korean???

I can get New Zealand cheeses, cheap and fresh coffee beans, marmite!, nice Muesli, all sorts of weird and rare foods.

I bet they have anchovies, and if they don't, I bet they will track them down and supply for you...

It's run by a funny old lady who adds your purchases up on scraps of paper.

Someone help me here!!!

I will go and take a photo ok, maybe check for anchovies.... Because I am a nice man...

The place you are talking about sounds very much like Kasem stores, Chiang Mai's original imported food shop (they have another branch on Nimmanahaminda Rd). they pre-date Rimping by several years if I remember correctly.

As for anchovies, there are tins in the fridge that contains cheeses in Rimping Nim city, (the one near the airport plaza) or they sometimes have them by the 100g in the deli section. The cheapest I've found were in Carrefour (now Big C Extra) on the superhighway

Second the junglechef suggestion.

Go to Hideaway Cafe off the Hang Dong Rd. about 2 km south of Airport Central. Back in a moo baan on the east side of the road- turn in at the north end of the huge Siam Commercial Bank bldg.

Siam Fishery is the brand, 220 g in a glass jar.

Price is 170 THB for the one packed in vegetable oil (don't bother with the olive oil/vegetable oil blend at 10 B more).

Been buying them for years- Thai anchovies are a little plumper/meatier, and they don't pack with so much salt like the EU product.

Thanks all for the swift replies,many will help me find what I'm looking for, I realise now I should have mentioned the anchovies I've previously used have purchased in glass jars or small flat tins, thin fillets in oil and very salty(almost disolve on a pizza).

I've tried the dried packets labelled Anchovy at macro, 59b fr a large packet.too chewy. my cat said she'll have them later. they tranlate into a pla sy, mostly guts.

Hav'nt tried bala on a pizza yet, must ask my wifes opinion. If it's anything like stilton or danablue could be worth a try.

catsays mieow leow

Edited by sanpakwan

I've tried the Thai anchovies. They have a very different flavor from the European/North African variety. Also, be sure you buy them from the refrigerator case. I bought them off the shelf once and they had gone bad. Pla Raa is mild by comparison.

Edited by butterisbetter

If you mean anchovies made in Thailand then I havn't seen it. I know Pla Raa is fish fermented with rice to rot and many Thai don't try one so you are more Thai than many Thai. clap2.gif

I've tried the Thai anchovies. They have a very different flavor from the European/North African variety. Also, be sure you buy them from the refrigerator case. I bought them off the shelf once and they had gone bad. Pla Raa is mild by comparison.

If you mean anchovies made in Thailand then I havn't seen it. I know Pla Raa is fish fermented with rice to rot and many Thai don't try one so you are more Thai than many Thai. clap2.gif

It's universally accepted that Pla Raa is the staff of life.