Thailand's Thaksin Prepares For War

webfact

Tlansford, #458

"When I have gone through Red Shirt protests, the protests were (1) huge, (2) peaceful, & (3) filled with a wide cross-section of Thai society"

If you don't mind, I'm going to keep this quote Tlansford.

It describesin large part the make-up of the Red shirts, with probably the added proviso that they are approx. made up of 80% females.

Knowing this most affirmatively from my experience, I can easily brand those who dump on them using Oppositional characterizations, and based on zero personal experiences, as peddling misinformation.

The way the Oppositional parrots describe the Red Shirts is totally out-of-step with reality.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tlansford, #458

"When I have gone through Red Shirt protests, the protests were (1) huge, (2) peaceful, & (3) filled with a wide cross-section of Thai society"

It describesin large part the make-up of the Red shirts, with probably the added proviso that they are approx. made up of 80% females.

Knowing this most affirmatively from my experience, I can easily brand those who dump on them using Oppositional characterizations, and based on zero personal experiences, as peddling misinformation.

The way the Oppositional parrots describe the Red Shirts is totally out-of-step with reality.

It must have been the small part (the 20% males?) of the make up of the red shirts that were out attacking the army and shooting grenades at trains stations, storming hospitals, and burning buildings.

Tlansford, #458

Everyone recalls march-may 2010 as if it were the only protest ever.

That was a very long, complicated, and often violent situation.

It gets a very simplistic treatment on TVF

Other demonstrations by the UDD are forgotten on TVF - apparently - due to the lack of violence...

B)

• Like 1

Tlansford, #458

Other demonstrations by the UDD are forgotten on TVF - apparently - due to the lack of violence...

cool.png

I remember the very violent protest by Kwanchai's red shirts in Udon well before Ratchprasong. Presently he's on bail facing a prison sentence for that horrendous assault.

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

I remember the very violent protest by Kwanchai's red shirts in Udon well before Ratchprasong. Presently he's on bail facing a prison sentence for that horrendous assault.

No you don't Siripon

There were no violent protests by Kwanchai's red shirt in Udon before R'song.

He served some prison time for his leadership of opposition to the coupists at R'song...a prison term assigned by those very same coupists.

The violence you purport to describe before R'song did not happen.

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

No you don't Siripon

He served some prison time for his leadership of opposition to the coupists at R'song...a prison term assigned by those very same coupists.

You don't know what you're talking about do you,? He attacked them in 2008.

No you don't Siripon

Those must have been fake videos of Kwanchai's red shirts attacking people then.

No you don't Siripon

Videos showing what happened in this world of an event that in your world, "did not happen"...

News Quote:

Red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana guaranteed no red-shirted people would create trouble for the PM Abhisit when he was in the Northeast, particularly in Udon Thani, which is the main base of the red-shirt movement under his leadership.

"The red shirts have good discipline and good democratic spirit."

UNQUOTE

I'm not sure that those who were assaulted or who had their possessions torched and looted and destroyed would necessarily ascribe to suspected terrorist out on bail Red Shirt Leader Kwanchai's description of his Udon Thani Red Shirts.

• Like 1

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

I remember that there were many red shirt protests and that they were often violent.

• Like 1

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

I remember that there were many red shirt protests and that they were often violent.

like the ASEAN summit. I also remember violent protests from the PAD.

But for both groups, the number of non-violent protests far outnumber the number of violent protests.

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

But for both groups, the number of non-violent protests far outnumber the number of violent protests.

Which nicely side-steps the DEGREE and VOLUME of violence in the respective cases, and the instigators and the escalators of the violence. But we are heading into moral relativity, which I abhor.

I knew perfectly well what he meant. It is hyperbole and off-the-chart hysteria. And it was not a "terrorist attack".

Please re-read the closing line of my last post...

Do tell, when is bombing of public places with civilian causalities not terrorism? Or you are saying it never is? Or sometimes, when you say it is?

• Like 2

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

Songkran the year before wasn't peaceful. You recall what happened? And the commie reds vowed to step it up the following year ('10) which they did (as they incited the violence against the army, you recall, and promised many deaths, recall?). And lets not forget when they were shooting at the PM himself! Now thats ludicrous. The party should have been banned and dissolved right then.

That year, they were outta control in the center of Chiang Mai too. (the list goes on) And the violence is far, far beyond the level of other opposing groups.

Edited by gemini81

Do tell, when is bombing of public places with civilian causalities not terrorism?

If an Arabic speaking man wearing a turban let off a banger that caused a big fright in a Bangkok shopping mall, i'm sure many would be happy with the terrorist label being applied to him. A red shirt on the other hand could burn the same shopping mall to the ground and some would be umming and erring about whether it constituted terrorism or not.

• Like 1

Thaksin has the people by his side.

Mark has the army by his side.

If there is a war, it will be like Mao against Chiang Kai Sak in China.

In the end, the people wins.

Will the red shirts be the red guard? Or will it be more like pol pot khmer rouge? Will Thailand be returned to an agrarian only country? Will there be a genocide of all the teachers, doctors, lawyers, govt workers, business owners, farangs? Should the farangs be leaving Thailand before the civil war starts?

Denigrating, besmirching, disparaging, slandering and villifying ones political Opposition seems such an odd exercise, when a vast majority of the countries' electorate gave them a landslide mandate, and will do so again next election.

Either those who are contemptuous are wrong, or those thousands of voters were wrong.

Very confusing and complicated.

Responding in kind, the previous poster brought um Mao, who killed over 40 million people, are the red shirts seeking to beat that number? How can it be 'Denigrating, besmirching, disparaging, slandering and vilifying' when the red shirts openly see Mao as their hero? Since when is less than 50% 'a vast majority of the countries' electorate'?

Tlansford, #458

cool.png

No you didnt.

There were many red shirt protests, but they were not often violent.

Don't follow coupist misinformation so slavishly.

It is in their interest to characterize their political nemesis like that, which reached a propagandistic post R'song crescendo.

I know these people.

Where there is occasional acting out, is justifiable anger at coupist criminals when they show their face....criminals for both perpetrating the coup and what they did, killing and maiming, to defend it.

Edited by CalgaryII

cool.png

No you didnt.

There were many red shirt protests, but they were not often violent.

Don't follow coupist misinformation so slavishly.

It is in their interest to characterize their political nemesis like that, which reached a propagandistic post R'song crescendo.

I know these people.

Where there is occasional acting out, is justifiable anger at coupist criminals when they show their face....criminals for both perpetrating the coup and what they did, killing and maiming, to defend it.

1. When one poster says "I remember", it's interesting to see another poster saying "no, you didn't".

2. 'not often violent' means 'they were violent at times'

3. Don't slavishly follow the guy who shouts loudest here on TV.

4. Any one just proclaiming statements with lots of meaningless phrases or such humbug, can be characterized as trying to shoutdown others who cannot be persuaded otherwise.

5. Propaganda is talking about a Ratchaprasong crescendo, like out with fireworks and a big bang.

6. Justifiable anger ? At the UDD leaders who swept their cannofodderfollowers into a frenzy and then said "it's over, please go home" and surrendered to the police themselves to avoid some misguided angry red-shirts ?

7. Criminals for perpetrating a coup. Well legally no, but here you do have a valid point.

8. Killing and maiming to defend a coup? Are you referring to the grenade attacks on non-red-shirts? Does't seem to match.

Anyway, don't worry. I try to ignore your fallacies and mostly succeed. Have fun here dry.png

Edited by rubl

Thaksin has the people by his side.

Mark has the army by his side.

If there is a war, it will be like Mao against Chiang Kai Sak in China.

In the end, the people wins.

Will the red shirts be the red guard? Or will it be more like pol pot khmer rouge? Will Thailand be returned to an agrarian only country? Will there be a genocide of all the teachers, doctors, lawyers, govt workers, business owners, farangs? Should the farangs be leaving Thailand before the civil war starts?

Denigrating, besmirching, disparaging, slandering and villifying ones political Opposition seems such an odd exercise, when a vast majority of the countries' electorate gave them a landslide mandate, and will do so again next election.

Either those who are contemptuous are wrong, or those thousands of voters were wrong.

Very confusing and complicated.

Half the voters were quite wrong,

why they voted so grandly wrong will be analyzed into the future.

When they will realizes this was the case, is another open question.

It will happen someday in spite of the information control

and propaganda they are victims of in recent history to the present.

Seeing things wrong, or making sure OTHERS see things wrongly,

seems to be a job description for some on TVF, a sad state of affairs.

Misreading the warnings of history is another team sport. Some make sure

that, if possible, the signs of historical parallels are as obscured as possible.

Can't pull the wool over an informed populaces eyes, so keep them ill informed

if possible, and slap down those voices that might inform them properly and clearly.

Carry on.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I assume the first sentence is just a bit misconstructed by accident. I don't think you really want to suggest that the ASEAN summit in 2009 was disrupted by the PAD.

To be sure an article from the NYT, 2009-04-11:

"Thailand Cancels Summit After Protests

A small group of demonstrators reached the section of the complex where leaders of Asean were eating lunch. Videos showed protesters there being stopped at gunpoint by commandos and dropping to their knees.

Arisman Pongruengrong, one of the protest leaders, said the goal was to force the resignation of Mr. Abhisit, who took office in December.

In a measure of the animosity between the government and its opponents, Mr. Arisman said he had instructed his followers to “catch” the prime minister. “When you see him, catch him and do whatever you like to him,” he said.

"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/world/asia/12thai.html

I assume the first sentence is just a bit misconstructed by accident. I don't think you really want to suggest that the ASEAN summit in 2009 was disrupted by the PAD.

A small group of demonstrators reached the section of the complex where leaders of Asean were eating lunch. Videos showed protesters there being stopped at gunpoint by commandos and dropping to their knees.

Arisman Pongruengrong, one of the protest leaders, said the goal was to force the resignation of Mr. Abhisit, who took office in December.

In a measure of the animosity between the government and its opponents, Mr. Arisman said he had instructed his followers to “catch” the prime minister. “When you see him, catch him and do whatever you like to him,” he said.

"

http://www.nytimes.c...sia/12thai.html

Also from the NY Times article:

The country’s political crisis, now three years running, pits lower-income supporters of
, the prime minister ousted in a September 2006 coup, against the elite that backed the coup.

The protesters who raided the venue on Saturday wore red, the color of backers of Mr. Thaksin, who since being convicted of abuse of power in a highly politicized trial last year has remained overseas.

Thx. for that link to the NY Times article

The two quotes above from the article, obscurely stumbles upon probably the two key issues, that being:

1. References the September 2006 coup
  2. characterizes correctly, the "highly politicized trial" convicting Thaksin.

Obviously #1 prepared the ground for #2.

Both of which were the genesis of everything that followed, up to and including murders at R'song.

This Pattaya thing was the first time Arisman rose to prominence. It was the first time Abhi's fallacious hold on the Prime Ministership was clearly exposed. The thorn Arisman has been in the side of the coupists ever since, explains why they hate this guy so much.

But dam_n, was he effective.

I recall one incident during R'song, when coupist legislators were busy legislating coup stuff. UDD/Red shirts deemed one particular egregious piece of legislation as requiring confrontation. They sent a group of red Shirts to Parliament to do just that.

But their lack of success finally frustrated the Red Shirt leaders to the point they sent Arisman over. Within a very short timeframe, the Red Shirts were in the face of the coupist legislators.

Dam_n, he was effective, and explains why he is my hero.

During the recent confimation of Thida as the head of the UDD, Arisman's name came up as an alternative.

That would'ev put the 'cat amongst the pigeons"

Edited by CalgaryII

People who think for themselves, unlike you, don't need to toady up to "heroes", like obedient dogs wanting to be patted and have their tummies rubbed. Enjoy your table scraps, since that's what you crave for. Roll over! Good boy!!

"

Also from the NY Times article:

The country’s political crisis, now three years running, pits lower-income supporters of
, the prime minister ousted in a September 2006 coup, against the elite that backed the coup.

The protesters who raided the venue on Saturday wore red, the color of backers of Mr. Thaksin, who since being convicted of abuse of power in a highly politicized trial last year has remained overseas.

Thx. for that link to the NY Times article

The two quotes above from the article, obscurely stumbles upon probably the two key issues, that being:

1. References the September 2006 coup
  2. characterizes correctly, the "highly politicized trial" convicting Thaksin.

Obviously #1 prepared the ground for #2.

Both of which were the genesis of everything that followed, up to and including murders at R'song.

This Pattaya thing was the first time Arisman rose to prominence. It was the first time Abhi's fallacious hold on the Prime Ministership was clearly exposed. The thorn he has been in the side of the coupists ever since, explains why they hate this guy so much.

But dam_n, was he effective.

I recall one incident during R'song, when coupist legislators were busy legislating coup stuff. UDD/Red shirts deemed one particular egregious piece of legislation as requiring confrontation. They sent a group of red Shirts to Parliament to do just that.

But their lack of success finally frustrated the Red Shirt leaders to the point they sent Arisman over. Within a very short timeframe, the Red Shirts were in the face of the coupist legislators.

dam_n, he was effective, and explains why he is my hero.

No you don't Siripon

Videos showing what happened in this world of an event that in your world, "did not happen"...

News Quote:

Red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana guaranteed no red-shirted people would create trouble for the PM Abhisit when he was in the Northeast, particularly in Udon Thani, which is the main base of the red-shirt movement under his leadership.

"The red shirts have good discipline and good democratic spirit."

UNQUOTE

I'm not sure that those who were assaulted or who had their possessions torched and looted and destroyed would necessarily ascribe to suspected terrorist out on bail Red Shirt Leader Kwanchai's description of his Udon Thani Red Shirts.

Anarchy

"

Though there is of course the not so small matter of Newins blue shirts, usually ignored by most folks but an ingredient in the chaos then and through the military connection maybe still to come. This will give you a taster http://asiancorrespondent.com/18225/blue-shirts-and-the-military/

"

Though there is of course the not so small matter of Newins blue shirts, usually ignored by most folks but an ingredient in the chaos then and through the military connection maybe still to come. This will give you a taster http://asiancorrespo...d-the-military/

'a military connection still to come'? The article is from 2009-05-01. Mind you, k. Jatuporn and a few posters here have promised me a coup, so one of these days you might still be right wink.png