I Loooove Chiangmai Already....After Just One Week Here!

doji

But tomorrow we will take a peek at the most talked about_ Sunday Walking Street. Does any friendly chianmai-nian here know of whereabout a clean/convienence bathroom we can used along that street?....as we plan to eat and drink a lotlicklips.gif

Thanks in advancejap.gif

Say "Boo-ut chee! Boo-ut chee!" And jump up and down a few times.

That will surely get the attention of someone who will tell you where the nearest toilet [hawng nahm] is.

doji, I like CM just like you do. I am quite tire of Bangkok and wish that my wife and I could move to CM asap. My wife wouldn't let me stay there by myself for an extended length of time. I only went up there by myself to check on some works being done to our house.

Wish you could post some pictures in your trip though.

But tomorrow we will take a peek at the most talked about_ Sunday Walking Street. Does any friendly chianmai-nian here know of whereabout a clean/convienence bathroom we can used along that street?....as we plan to eat and drink a lotlicklips.gif

Thanks in advancejap.gif

Say "Boo-ut chee! Boo-ut chee!" And jump up and down a few times.

That will surely get the attention of someone who will tell you where the nearest toilet [hawng nahm] is.

Ralph Fitch must be turning over in his grave to think that he was the thin edge of the wedge that opened Chiang Mai to an invasion of imbecility like this.

have to agree with u about non sensible posts,but go on tell us who is ralph fitch?????

Ralph Fitch was the first documented European to reach Chiang Mai.

He is thought to have been preceded by European mercenaries, mostly Portugese, who served with the armies of Ava, Pegu, and Ayudhya. All of which fought against Chiang Mai at one time or another in the early or mid-16th century.

Fitch's visit was in 1587.

Lanna Thai history is a fascinating subject which can be pursued in a number of good books. Notably Dr. Andrew Forbes' recent series, Ancient Chiang Mai.

He is a TV member as well and was a great help to me in a recent topic of my own.

I hope that tells you what you want to know. Maybe it's more than you want to know.

Anyway, choke dee.

• Like 1

Sunday Walking street (@Tapae Gate – Wat PraSing)…. Our reviews

Just got back last night @ 10pm, and slept like a log..closedeyes.gif. after all the walking!

Well the locals told us it opens 3pm-10pm, but the best time to get there is around 5pm. We knew there would be lots of foods there to grab, so didn’t bother with a meal before hand.

We got there around 4:30pm and saw many sellers still setting up their shops. However right after dinner time(around 6:30), when it’s getting quite crowded. It seemed just about everybody who able to walk and crawl was descending upon the place…like they’re giving away a free stuff or something… luckily there was some breezes last night going through. Most things were very reasonable in price, and not in your face touting…. unlike other major tourist towns. The atmosphere is very easy, relax, moving along w/ slow walk. Also it’s nice to see many locals(thais from far & near, judging from their language & dialects) mixing in the crowd too.

It seems the market is spilling over to many side streets, in addition to already 2 major cross streets from the main one. Also there was a very long walk one along Wat Umon (main walking street, right @Rajapakinai rd, left @Wat Umon), where we finally had our main meal Yenta4 somewhere along here.

We like the market here very much, it’s quite unique full of original art and craft stuffs from local artisans, unlike many other markets in other major tourist towns that full of fake and mundane stuffs. Buying local products from locally made directly… is the way (the right way, in my view) to support, encourage, and retain many of these unique locals skills / industries.

We spent around 4 hours walking & constant munching (to replenish our firepower for more walking) all over the places but still didn’t cover all areas, For those 4 hrs , we just got this cute- little-evil look-tribal doll, it’s a replica of one of the main tribals in northern area here, we think to grab more of them to complete the set of all the tribes here, so might get back there again next Sunday.

Once you’re done, there were more songtheaws to grab at the Wat-PraSing end than at the beginning TapaeGate end. We took the red bus 20 bths each…to THERE and BACK. It’s a great way for a FREE tour around the city, since it goes around and around dropping off each passenger at various location all over the city (we love FREE stuffs!) Anyway…our red bus went around the wall, along Waruros market, cut right through LumYai Market, and got to see many HiSo-wannabe and those shops along the Nimman st. too..hehe

Very recommended…..4.5 from 5 stars (for not having enough time to see it all, got back @10pm )

Want to share some pics, but just too net shy to display rolleyes.gif

PS:….hmm how often do you expats go back to this place, after you’re here permanently…still always the exciting place to go?

Now we’re mapping for our countryside driving exploration for the next 3 days, starting tomorrowcowboy.gif..(more birds, bees, trees, and less people!)

FYI

Google street views of Chaingmai & its surrounds should be up soon...I hope.

Just saw the google truck w/ 360 degree camera mounted, parking at the top (peak) of Doi Intranon a few days ago

....when we're visiting ...Ang Ka nature trail, traditional fabric making Village/ its maket, a few waterfalls, and the big king project up there.

Edited by doji

have to agree with u about non sensible posts,but go on tell us who is ralph fitch?????

He is thought to have been preceded by European mercenaries, mostly Portugese, who served with the armies of Ava, Pegu, and Ayudhya. All of which fought against Chiang Mai at one time or another in the early or mid-16th century.

Lanna Thai history is a fascinating subject which can be pursued in a number of good books. Notably Dr. Andrew Forbes' recent series, Ancient Chiang Mai.

He is a TV member as well and was a great help to me in a recent topic of my own.

I hope that tells you what you want to know. Maybe it's more than you want to know.

Anyway, choke dee.

Very nice little historical cameo you've posted here.

I couldn't have said it better myself. As a matter of fact I think I did in a previous post.

Next time try rephrasing instead of using scissors and paste.

The Living Dead that now make up the majority of Chiang Mai's foreign community were preceded here by other groups of farang who came after Ralph Fitch.

I'm sure we would all just Loooove to hear about them.

But don't be verbose. I've got other things to do today.

Doji -- nice report on the Sunday Walking market.

To answer your question about how often resident expats visit -- I'd have to say I go just a few times a year now, mostly when I need something like a new handbag, rug for outside the bathroom or presents to send to people overseas. As you said, it gets really crowded. The area just outside Thapae Gate sets up earlier than the streets inside the old city, so often I'll hit the Thapae Gate sellers by 5 pm to avoid the crowds.

Hotel M is a great place to "park" Hubby while I shop. He can watch my packages and sip a beer. The outdoor tables are on a terrace that's about a meter above street level, so he has a nice view. Plus, the toilets at Hotel M are really nice. The food is good and fairly inexpensive considering that it's a nice hotel. Sure, the street food is cheaper, but I don't like to walk and eat at the same time.

Anyway, choke dee.

I couldn't have said it better myself. As a matter of fact I think I did in a previous post.

The Living Dead that now make up the majority of Chiang Mai's foreign community were preceded here by other groups of farang who came after Ralph Fitch.

Gringo, don't get your cojones in an uproar.

To relieve your pique I'll acknowledge you as the Numero Uno in Chiang Mai studies.

OK, feel better now?

Living Dead? Our Bro's and Ho's, Mates and Dudes and all the other flotsam and jetsam that has washed up on these shores?

Many of the historical figures must have been a rum lot as well.

After Ralph Fitch came the 17th century adventurers and Jesuits at King Narai's court.

Constantine Phaulkon, Narai's favorite being the most prominent.

Narai died, Phaulkon was snuffed, and most of the other Europeans were massacred.

Very few foreigners in Siam until the early 19th century.

English, French, and Americans being the principal players then.

King Chulalongkorn's modernization brought in many professionals. Also Italians in the arts.

In Chiang Mai missionaries, mostly Americans, began to settle here.

Some were troublemakers but others were extraordinarily gifted people. Notably the doctors and teachers among them. But unfortunately most were characterized by a pig-headed bigotry in religious matters that persists to this day among their modern counterparts.

Also at that period teak-wallahs, mostly British, founded the Gymkhana club [1897] and introduced western sports to Chiang Mai.

WWII. Japanese occupation. Regardless of what it was like in other parts of Thailand, here it was probably not too bad. My mother in law, as a small child, remembered the soldiers giving out candies. Just the same, Chiang Mai people were no doubt glad to see them go.

Post WWII it was the good ol' USA all the way until after the ignoninious defeat in Vietnam.

After that it was a mix of nationalities looking for sun, sex, and whatever else they thought they could find here.

So that's about it Gringo. In a nutshell.

I Loooove Chiang Mai Already...After Just... can't seem to recall. O well, you remember the old saying "If you can remember Chiang Mai in the 70's you weren't there".

And I was there Baby.

• Like 1

Anyway, choke dee.

Gringo, don't get your cojones in an uproar.

To relieve your pique I'll acknowledge you as the Numero Uno in Chiang Mai studies.

OK, feel better now?

Living Dead? Our Bro's and Ho's, Mates and Dudes and all the other flotsam and jetsam that has washed up on these shores?

Many of the historical figures must have been a rum lot as well.

After Ralph Fitch came the 17th century adventurers and Jesuits at King Narai's court.

Constantine Phaulkon, Narai's favorite being the most prominent.

Narai died, Phaulkon was snuffed, and most of the other Europeans were massacred.

Very few foreigners in Siam until the early 19th century.

English, French, and Americans being the principal players then.

King Chulalongkorn's modernization brought in many professionals. Also Italians in the arts.

In Chiang Mai missionaries, mostly Americans, began to settle here.

Some were troublemakers but others were extraordinarily gifted people. Notably the doctors and teachers among them. But unfortunately most were characterized by a pig-headed bigotry in religious matters that persists to this day among their modern counterparts.

Also at that period teak-wallahs, mostly British, founded the Gymkhana club [1897] and introduced western sports to Chiang Mai.

WWII. Japanese occupation. Regardless of what it was like in other parts of Thailand, here it was probably not too bad. My mother in law, as a small child, remembered the soldiers giving out candies. Just the same, Chiang Mai people were no doubt glad to see them go.

Post WWII it was the good ol' USA all the way until after the ignoninious defeat in Vietnam.

After that it was a mix of nationalities looking for sun, sex, and whatever else they thought they could find here.

So that's about it Gringo. In a nutshell.

I Loooove Chiang Mai Already...After Just... can't seem to recall. O well, you remember the old saying "If you can remember Chiang Mai in the 70's you weren't there".

And I was there Baby.

That's a pretty good summing-up. At least as it relates to farangs.

But you skimmed the last period. Since the GI's left.

That's a time we both remember so I would have thought you would have given it more attention.

What characterizes it? Certainly the lower quality of the farangs who took up residence here, short or long-term.

Mass third-world immigration to, and deteriorating social and economic conditions in the US and Europe have created refugees who aren't so much seeking something as fleeing a homeland that is unrecognizable from what they knew when they were growing-up.

Middle-class mediocrities for the most part who try to recreate a lifestyle they can no longer afford in their own countries.

The number of sex-tourists exploded during that period too.

Sure, pussy was always a big attraction here. But in the 80's and 90's the sex trade became probably the biggest in the world. If not in dollar terms then certainly in sheer numbers of girls and easy access to venues.

Mix in the Russian Mafia. African swindlers, and East European hookers and you have a witches brew of humanity that stinks to high heaven.

So far the worst of the worst have stayed in Bangkok and Pattaya.

But who knows what will go down next.

It's been a lot of things here over the years but boring has never been one of them.

Maybe that's why we all Loooove it so much.

• Like 1

anyone know about the night market outside tesco lotus? been there once, forget the day, can't find it anymore. is that a one time event?

There are more than one Texco Lotus so you should be more precise. Earlier there was a Friday marked between Tesco Lotus (Carrefour) and Payap university every Friday between 4PM-9/10PM. Now Tesco Lotus has become a Big C and I am not sure the Payap Friday market is still there.

Sunday Walking street (@Tapae Gate – Wat PraSing)…. Our reviews

Just got back last night @ 10pm, and slept like a log..closedeyes.gif. after all the walking!

Well the locals told us it opens 3pm-10pm, but the best time to get there is around 5pm. We knew there would be lots of foods there to grab, so didn’t bother with a meal before hand.

We got there around 4:30pm and saw many sellers still setting up their shops. However right after dinner time(around 6:30), when it’s getting quite crowded. It seemed just about everybody who able to walk and crawl was descending upon the place…like they’re giving away a free stuff or something… luckily there was some breezes last night going through. Most things were very reasonable in price, and not in your face touting…. unlike other major tourist towns. The atmosphere is very easy, relax, moving along w/ slow walk. Also it’s nice to see many locals(thais from far & near, judging from their language & dialects) mixing in the crowd too.

It seems the market is spilling over to many side streets, in addition to already 2 major cross streets from the main one. Also there was a very long walk one along Wat Umon (main walking street, right @Rajapakinai rd, left @Wat Umon), where we finally had our main meal Yenta4 somewhere along here.

We like the market here very much, it’s quite unique full of original art and craft stuffs from local artisans, unlike many other markets in other major tourist towns that full of fake and mundane stuffs. Buying local products from locally made directly… is the way (the right way, in my view) to support, encourage, and retain many of these unique locals skills / industries.

We spent around 4 hours walking & constant munching (to replenish our firepower for more walking) all over the places but still didn’t cover all areas, For those 4 hrs , we just got this cute- little-evil look-tribal doll, it’s a replica of one of the main tribals in northern area here, we think to grab more of them to complete the set of all the tribes here, so might get back there again next Sunday.

Once you’re done, there were more songtheaws to grab at the Wat-PraSing end than at the beginning TapaeGate end. We took the red bus 20 bths each…to THERE and BACK. It’s a great way for a FREE tour around the city, since it goes around and around dropping off each passenger at various location all over the city (we love FREE stuffs!) Anyway…our red bus went around the wall, along Waruros market, cut right through LumYai Market, and got to see many HiSo-wannabe and those shops along the Nimman st. too..hehe

Very recommended…..4.5 from 5 stars (for not having enough time to see it all, got back @10pm )

Want to share some pics, but just too net shy to display rolleyes.gif

PS:….hmm how often do you expats go back to this place, after you’re here permanently…still always the exciting place to go?

Now we’re mapping for our countryside driving exploration for the next 3 days, starting tomorrowcowboy.gif..(more birds, bees, trees, and less people!)

Personally I only go to that market when visitors come (just to big and crowded for my taste) - I do go to the night market (Saturday night by CM Gate opposite the food market - can see it as the road is always blocked off by tuk tuks and cops standing around redirectling traffic). Its smaller but I think more interesting. Go to the Night Bazaar every now and then, but not really to browse just to go to specific places (or a particular food outlet). For food market I do a local one quite often (mid week and weekends) - rarely see a non-Thai there - interesting food stuff (I bought dried algie last time - bag of it - a guy was selling bags of it for 10b - he boils and then dries the pond water to retrieve the algie - no idea what to do with it, in the end Mrs threw it away, oh well). Oh btw the temples along the way (Saturday market) have food much cheaper and really quite good - with tables etc - just follow the Thais).

Just finished our 3 days of driving around and around..... NEVER NEVER attempt to do it without a GPS! …………..if U’re a first timer.

We tried to do without it on the first day and almost spent the night with some far far away tribal people!

It’s not like going to see the Disneyland, but still interesting nevertheless……………from Doi Suthep, all the way to BoSang, passing through SanKampang, looping back at Sameong, peeking through (literally)at the RoyalFlora… along the PingRiver (what we thought would be a romantic drive…hmm)..all the way back up the Kamthiang flower market and all over the city.

Also took a peek at INDEX, we felt so privileged of having the whole place by ourselves…hehe. Mind as well used their bathroom, before we're off to the next destination.

We did attempt to go see the RoyalFlora, however by the time we got there it’s almost late afternoon, and were very tired, and didn’t feel like walking anymore. So we parked at P4, took tuktuk 20 bths to the front and had our snacks up on that little highhill in front w/ very good FREE views of the inside from here...finished our snacks,and left. We felt bad for not supporting the local project, but just too sleepy to be anywhere but our bed.

So we thought to take a slow romantic drive back along the PingRiver up to superhwy 11, well there was anything BUT ROMANTIC!.. it was quite SLOW alright..too slow infacts. ermm.gif

So far our most 2 memorable highlights got to still be, Doi Intanon and our little Thanin market…… delicious foods all day/night, and very inexpensive too. Haven’t tried the Saturday Market, so will do it this week…since there are some good words on it…and try to chill out for the rest of next week.

Also have noticed the housing around here is getting quite expensive. You can’t get anything nice with close proximity to the city for less than 4mil bts unless you go all the way to SanKampang.

Land&House is doing one in Maehia for no less than 4.4 mils (for the smallest ones – 8 left), and is starting at Serene Lake “which is next door” for 10 mils up, while the project in SanKampang is around 3.3 mils. They also are planning to put up the condo project next to the Serene Lake.

Who are all these buyers (or will be buyers), any idea? Are ChiangMai people quite rich, or the rich Bangkoknians following me up here too?wink.png

Edited by doji