Driving In Thailand Countryside - Just Passport

randymarsh

I would not carry my actual passport with me, would just carry a good copy.

I would think out in Chachensao If you don't speed you shouldn't get pulled over and if you do, just give them a hundy. I'm in Prachinburi and it works every time for me. I have a Thai license, but once they see the money, they pretty much lose interest in documentation and I rarely have to show it. I used my Disneyland Autopia licence once...

I used my Disneyland Autopia licence once...

I used my expired USA license for 5 years before getting a Thai license. Even had a hole punched through it. In fact, it was a cheesy photo-copied temporary license provided to you before they send the real one in the mail. The real one got lost in the post between USA and Thailand, so I just used the cheesy one. Worked every time.

To address the OP's concern: I wouldn't try it with only a passport, unless you are prepared to pay as warned above. Every time I was stopped (often), they wanted to see something that resembled a license.

Edited by Fookhaht

I would not carry my actual passport with me, would just carry a good copy.

I would think out in Chachensao If you don't speed you shouldn't get pulled over and if you do, just give them a hundy. I'm in Prachinburi and it works every time for me. I have a Thai license, but once they see the money, they pretty much lose interest in documentation and I rarely have to show it. I used my Disneyland Autopia licence once...

Don't forget to complain about corruption in another thread.

• Like 1

Strange how peoples brains switich off when they get off a plane at Swampy....OP...what would happen in the UK if you got stopped and didnt have your license on you...would Britain's finest accept your PP as satisfactory proof that you have a license to operate a motor vehicle ?

And further you are not sure whether you have an IDP or not ????

The mind boggles...

and in agreement with "stevenl"....please dont forget to complain about corruption in Thailand...

you are required to have a TH DL.

without it you may pay your way through police checks, but being involved in an accident you are pretty f-cked even not at fault. claims can exceed 20 million baht and you are likely to remain in jail until you have paid

just as in the rest of the world

To the OP, i think that you are a complete idiot if you think that everything is possible in Thailand.

As mentioned by others, would you have this attitude when you drive back home or when friends visit you in the UK.

Also be aware that you are not insured without TH DL or INT DL .

God forbid if you have a accident and you kill somebody.

I drive in Thailand now for almost 22 years and NEVER had any problems or paid anything to the police but all my papers are in order and also i get checked sometimes by the police.

I really don't understand why some people think that everything is just ok when they are in Thailand and think that the Thai law does not apply to them.

Sorry but i just don't get this. mad.gif

Edited by merijn
  • Like 1

Here's a copy of my driving license:

Doesn't look as much as the 20M KB mentioned? Care to show the rest of it?

20M was perhaps over the top as claims are usually limited to

10 x 1million baht 3rd party

5 million baht 3rd party property

but without valid DL one also has to ad legal fees, unknown but not peanutmoney

and bailbond a million baht, unless one enjoys prison life, and last but not least, airfare to leave the country for good when everything has been settled

Strange how peoples brains switich off when they get off a plane at Swampy....OP...what would happen in the UK if you got stopped and didnt have your license on you...would Britain's finest accept your PP as satisfactory proof that you have a license to operate a motor vehicle ?

By UK Law

A valid driving licence for the catagory of vehicle you drive, insurance which covers you to drive that vehicle, and a valid MOT certificate and Vehicle Exercise Licence. Amendments in 2005 of the 1988 Law

However due to the danger of carrying these in the car at all times the law was written to allow a 7 day production period, HO/RT1 from, so if you don't carry them on you for fear of theft or damage then you have 7 days to produce them at a police station.

The Police National Computer (PNC) now holds most of the details regarding a drivers documents so HO/RT1 from are not often used these days.

Edit: Just checked on the Government website, as it was NOT Law to carry in the UK when I moved here in 2003.......Here is good because it is easy with just a credit card size, UK also now has this size but by Law you must also carry the big paper as well = crazy

Edited by ignis

From my experience, BIBs that I dealt with, don't even know how IDP looks or what it is. Every time I was pulled over they looked at it with <deleted> is this look on their face and handed it back to me. I don't produce anymore when being stopped but still carry it with me. My Canadian DL seems to be enough for them.

OP, passport is not a proper document for driving, BIBs only interested in money may take it, others may not. Then the accident cases that's been mentioned... passport isn't a proper document. If you're not sure if you have a IDP then you don't have it. You specifically need to apply for it and it's only valid for one year.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

By UK Law

A valid driving licence for the catagory of vehicle you drive, insurance which covers you to drive that vehicle, and a valid MOT certificate and Vehicle Exercise Licence. Amendments in 2005 of the 1988 Law

However due to the danger of carrying these in the car at all times the law was written to allow a 7 day production period, HO/RT1 from, so if you don't carry them on you for fear of theft or damage then you have 7 days to produce them at a police station.

The Police National Computer (PNC) now holds most of the details regarding a drivers documents so HO/RT1 from are not often used these days.

Edit: Just checked on the Government website, as it was NOT Law to carry in the UK when I moved here in 2003.......Here is good because it is easy with just a credit card size, UK also now has this size but by Law you must also carry the big paper as well = crazy

Ok but were does it say you can produce a passport in place of a British DL ? which was the point I was getting at

From my experience, BIBs that I dealt with, don't even know how IDP looks or what it is. Every time I was pulled over they looked at it with <deleted> is this look on their face and handed it back to me. I don't produce anymore when being stopped but still carry it with me. My Canadian DL seems to be enough for them.

OP, passport is not a proper document for driving, BIBs only interested in money may take it, others may not. Then the accident cases that's been mentioned... passport isn't a proper document. If you're not sure if you have a IDP then you don't have it. You specifically need to apply for it and it's only valid for one year.

If you are here on a "permanent" basis a Canadian DL or IDP isnt acceptable either in terms of the law, you are suppose to have a Thai DL....and there is no excuse about not getting one as they are so easy to aquire if you already have an overseas DL ie Canadian DL

Sure go ahead and drive in Thailand without an IDP and left the licence in UK. it is safe and quiet on the roads and everyone drives with the utmost respect for their fellow road users, especially all the trucks going to and from Chachoengsao on those nice narrow roads. The TGF knows exactly what she is saying as she obviously has a licence and plenty of driving experience herself.

However one recommendation, carry a tube of KY in the pocket at all times. So when something goes wrong, and the BIB throw you in jail while they think about how to extract the maximum amount of Baht possible from you, and you end up as someone elses "girlfriend", at least you will be prepared for that experience.

I work for a major international company in Thailand, and it used to be as long as you had a licence all was OK to drive. After the experiences with a crash the rules got changed to a current IDP or Thai licence was required, not negotiable. This from a company with very deep pockets.

Cheers

I drive around there quiet a lot and don't notice many police check points, unlike most other areas in the country. However on the road to Sa Kaeo I regularly see speed traps or police watching for drivers not pulling into the LH lane.

Contrary to what some may think. Thailand has quiet a strong police presence on the roads. Whenever I drive from Loei to Bangkok I go through about 4 check points. Sometimes I'm lucky and don't get stopped, other times not. But it's never a hassle. The police are always polite and after a quick glance at my license I'm on my way.

You could try bluffing your way through, but if that didn't work. I'd say you'll need to pay a backhander of at least 500bht.

But remember, if you have accident you would be in HUGE trouble, not to mention the high cost of hospitals if any person was injured.

Why don't you get someone to colour scan and email your UK license. Then get it laminated.

I drive around there quiet a lot and don't notice many police check points, unlike most other areas in the country. However on the road to Sa Kaeo I regularly see speed traps or police watching for drivers not pulling into the LH lane.

Contrary to what some may think. Thailand has quiet a strong police presence on the roads. Whenever I drive from Loei to Bangkok I go through about 4 check points. Sometimes I'm lucky and don't get stopped, other times not. But it's never a hassle. The police are always polite and after a quick glance at my license I'm on my way.

You could try bluffing your way through, but if that didn't work. I'd say you'll need to pay a backhander of at least 500bht.

But remember, if you have accident you would be in HUGE trouble, not to mention the high cost of hospitals if any person was injured.

Why don't you get someone to colour scan and email your UK license. Then get it laminated.

I think most of the checkpoints on the way to Sa Kaeo are immigration.

Unless you have broken a very serious law, do not give them 500. Out in the country the most I ever give them is 100, and I try 50 first. My office manger will only give them 20, and she’ll get out of the car with her finger in their face if they don’t take it. Not sure she’s hollering about, but everyone seems happy when we leave.

If you are here on a "permanent" basis a Canadian DL or IDP isnt acceptable either in terms of the law, you are suppose to have a Thai DL....and there is no excuse about not getting one as they are so easy to aquire if you already have an overseas DL ie Canadian DL

Canadian DL is accepted for holders of entrystamp or tourist visa for max 90 days. Tourists only, you are not a tourist any more if you have had Certificate of Residence issued to become owner of vehicle