Getting A Lovely Fried Egg With My Pad Krapow Instead Of The Fried Black Hole Of Calcutta

Jingthing

Kai dow mai suk

fried egg not over-cooked

kai dow suk-suk

fried egg cooked through

OMG, so simple! Thanks, I'll try that.

BTW, seems to me there would be a risk of getting an almost raw egg saying mai suk, but hey, can't win 'em all.

Here's an interesting wrinkle. As I have been ordering without instructions and mostly getting black hole of Calcutta style eggs, do you think that means that is the most common way Thais like their eggs, is there possibly a f-rang adjustment going on? (As in, f-rangs won't want runny yolks?) If I had to guess, I would say the former, as so many fried things here are on the over-crispy side.

I own a cafe that caters for about 80% Thai customers (western and Thai food). The Thais generally like the (what I call) burned crispy eggs cooked in a wok, whilst westerners prefer pan fried sunny-side-up/over-easy eggs. We have one customer that asks for it to be cooked way past the usual Thai crispy-brown (looks horrible - but it's his taste) - he also asks for MSG in his rice (as a norm we do not cook with MSG at all - even sauces are MSG free), but keep some as some cutomers actually request it!

I think a lot of Thais here do not like runny yolk (maybe affraid of health risks - samanella?) - and without flipping it, it means butning the white to harden the yolk completely (or cook at a low temperature for a longer time - not likely given that most food here is wok cooked on high gas).

JT, will you get outta here...d'yew really want us to believe that you haggle over the fried egg texture for a dish that costs thb20 at a street stall?...('hey! are you from Calcutta?...that looks like shit! d'yew expect me to eat that??!!')...if I was the vendor and spoke english I'd say: 'you no like me fried eggies then get yerself a baggie and bring one from home...falang baa, mumble, grumble...'

now, in Indonesia I useta get nasi goreng with scrambled eggs that wasn't half bad...can't go wrong with scrambled eggs...cowboy.gif

I haven't paid only 20 baht for pad krapow in YEARS.

We charge 35b - eggs (and everything else) cooked fresh, Mrs wouldn't have it any other way!

Edited by wolf5370

This is the way I like mine,but yes it's hard to find sometimes on the street in the restaurant.

Freshly cooked and quickly eaten about 20 mins ago.

Sep mak mak

I bet that wasn't 35 Baht from Wolfie

Alas it was not.

I haveta say that the dishes presented in the photo look very appetizing and mighty fine but that ain't no street stall job; proper crockery and a nicely presented nam prik on the side?

in this case, which looks to be worth more than thb20, one would be justified in requesting a cooked to order fried egg...

off topic but just to advise, yesterday at the market I found homade tofu and the taste and texture are heavenly...so, tofu lovers do not despair with the disgusting packaged tube variety down at tescos...ye gotta look closely to see what the market vendors have got: I walked past their display dozens of times and never noticed...