Problems With A Fedex Agent In Bangkok

Jajazazajaja

I had to send one of my passports (i have 2) back home recently to get a Visa for Russia. i have done this before with no problems. My usual agent was closed so i took it to another place round the corner in Pratunam. Huge mistake. The guy working there was West African and acted very strangely throughout the process. Normally i just give the agent my passport, fill in the form and seal it. 5 mins max. Later that day it is picked up and i can track it online. Not this guy. He insisted on investigating my passport and kept pointing out i had no Thai entry stamps. I told him i had another, and that it was none of his business anyway, but he insisted on photocopying it and leafing through it. Having worked in West Africa, this is not unusual behavior, nothing is straightforward.

Then he wouldn't fill the form in properly or seal the package while i was there, he just stuck it in a drawer. But i did get the form and tracking number. 

I logged in the next day to the FedEx website and there was no record of my tracking number, so i called the agent. I got some horseshit story about the van not coming to collect the package, but it would be sent tomorrow. Next day i checked and still nothing. Phoned again and got another story about problems with the driver. Next day it was problems with the airport. Something else yesterday, i forget what and today he said he was at the "FedEx head office" in Bangkok and my package would go out on the next flight. 

Yeah, sure. 

I called FedEx and they had no idea what he was talking about, and that the tracking number should have been scanned as soon as i dropped the package off. 

The agent is a shipping company that has a big shop and has been around for years. If my passport has been lost or stolen, what are my options? My dealings with the Thai police dont fill be with confidence at all. 

Cheers

You should have walked in the next day and demand for your passport since it has not been sent.

Genuine passport fetches good money in the black market.

I would have if i was in town. Ill visit them tomorrow and if i dont get it back or confirmation that its been sent then i will provide the world with the full details of the company in question.

I think you should also lodge a police report in the event that you can't get your passport back.

At least you can safeguard yourself and provide proof that you have taken action in due time. I am sure your government would not be happy if you negligently surrender your passport to someone and did not take action. After all, your government owns the passport.

Hope you resolve this soon.

I don't want to bag you out, but handing your pport over to some bozo in a fedex agency is just silly.

Why didn't you have it in a sealed padded bag labled documents?

That he actually looked though it shouldhave set alarm bells off, I would have walked then.

Go and make a police report now while it still may be recoverable.

• Like 2

As FedEx are pretty interested in their reputation, too, if I were you I would be on the phone with the *constantly* until the issue is resolved or until they come down on that office like a ton of bricks. If the 'agent' has done a runner by that time it won't help, but it sounds like the scheme is more complicated if someone there is still admittting knowing something about your shipment but making excuses.

As FedEx are pretty interested in their reputation, too, if I were you I would be on the phone with the *constantly* until the issue is resolved or until they come down on that office like a ton of bricks. If the 'agent' has done a runner by that time it won't help, but it sounds like the scheme is more complicated if someone there is still admittting knowing something about your shipment but making excuses.

Yes, I wonder why he keeps calling to update me with these fanciful tales.

Why would anyone need to "ship" their passport for a Russian visa? Sounds fishy to me. Anyone who gives their passport to ANYONE has to see a doctor I'm sorry to say. I say you deserve what you have coming to you really and especially you are the one who said you gave it to an African National who are known world wide for scams.

Probably was sold on Khao Sarn Rd for 10k. Som nam na.

It's possible it has been sold, more worrying given that he is leading you on with excuses is that it is out on loan and being used for something.

After they are done they may just locate it for you. You'll get it back but won't know what your name and mug have been used for.

Have you reported it lost to your embassy yet?

Why would anyone need to "ship" their passport for a Russian visa? Sounds fishy to me. Anyone who gives their passport to ANYONE has to see a doctor I'm sorry to say. I say you deserve what you have coming to you really and especially you are the one who said you gave it to an African National who are known world wide for scams.

Think outside your limited experience before you drop such heavy criticism...

That's why some people need two passports.

The Op was here in Thailand on one passport while his spare was used for a visa application. Depending on the country and type of Visa / Permit required you may need to send your passport.

The only mistake the Op made was not trusting his instincts.

Edited by richard_smith237

Pratunam + Passport + West African doing a Thai's clerical job + unseemly interest in the cargo = Run, dont walk!!! Any 2 of these factors should have been enough for you to abort the transaction.

It seems likely to me that, assuming you will eventually recover the missing Passport, there will be a very convincing copy of it out on the market by the time you get the original back. I would consider this document as compromised and have it cancelled by your embassy. Not sure that it's either safe or useful to walk back into that shop, before you have covered your rear end with a police report.

• Like 1

Went into the offices today, bypassed African George and spoke to the Indian owner. My passport and other doccuments were still in his drawer. Got them all back, got a refund, owner apologized and went round the corner to my usual agent go post it again. No pages were missing. Indian owner offered no excuses other than his african employee had no idea how to deal with FedEx packages and shouldnt have accepted it without calling him.

Edited by Jajazazajaja

Thanks Gone, very insightful.

Have you ever tried to get a Russian or Nigerian or Egyption visa in Bangkok?

Think outside your limited experience before you drop such heavy criticism...

That's why some people need two passports.

The Op was here in Thailand on one passport while his spare was used for a visa application. Depending on the country and type of Visa / Permit required you may need to send your passport.

The only mistake the Op made was not trusting his instincts.

Thanks Richard. You are quite right, i should have trusted my instincts with this buffoon.