Tesco Lotus 'Share Issue'

I may have read it incorrectly but i understand tesco/lotus are selling shares opening next month

they seem to be relentless in their expansion, and 2 me seem to be prepared to take on 7/11 in that v

popular and presumably profitable sector.

so whats everyone's thought's , good investment long term or

short term or bad

not bought shares in thailand b4 so advise or info on where and how to buy

would be useful

thanks

OK they are not shares - they are launching a listed property fund. I would suggest that you google on "thailand property funds" and do some reading up on the subject. Also, KimEng Securities web site (KELive) regularly features a "Property Fund report" that is worth looking at.

Refer here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Incoming-chief-reaffirms-Tesco-Lotus-commitment-to-30176299.html

On average Thai property funds have given pretty good returns the past several years, but of course there is significant variation, with different funds investing in different types of property, for example. Also, the leading property funds vary from year to year ... for example, of the top five thai property funds in 2011, only one (Major Cineplex) was in the top five the year before.

• Like 1

Tesco have opened a litle Tesco near us and it looks like they are looking at this sector same as the UK and lets be honest 7-11 are rubbish so if they get the game right they could clean up but this is not the UK and different standards apply so it may not be as simple as that, if you think the fund is weighted in Texsco direction maybe worth a punt.

These shares are being issued by Tesco-Lotus so that the property they own (i.e. the supermarkets and smaller store formats) can be shifted off their balance sheet. Tesco-Lotus will then pay rent to the new company.

Any investor needs to ask himself what would happen if Tesco-Lotus decides it's time for a cut in the rental rate?

These shares are high risk given the dependence upon the continued good will of the parent company.

These shares are being issued by Tesco-Lotus so that the property they own (i.e. the supermarkets and smaller store formats) can be shifted off their balance sheet. Tesco-Lotus will then pay rent to the new company.

Any investor needs to ask himself what would happen if Tesco-Lotus decides it's time for a cut in the rental rate?

These shares are high risk given the dependence upon the continued good will of the parent company.

This is not entirely correct. The shares will be issued by a newly formed property investment fund, which is managed by Krung Thai Asset Management. This fund has a contract to buy property from Tesco Lotus.

I have been looking for an English Language version of the prospectus. What is very important is to understand the terms of the lease on the property. It is possible that the lease is structured on the basis that Tesco Lotus pays a fixed rate until it decides it's time for a cut in the rental rate.....but I doubt it.

Aslo worth noting at Tesco Lotus only accounts for about 40% of total rents from these malls - Homepro, MK and KFC being the next largest tennents.

Aslo worth noting at Tesco Lotus only accounts for about 40% of total rents from these malls - Homepro, MK and KFC being the next largest tennents.

Who the tenants are isn't really that important. These properties are (currently) owned by Tesco-Lotus, and the likes of MK and KFC currently let from Tesco-Lotus. This really is a play based upon how much Tesco-Lotus is going to be prepared to pay in rent in the future.