Foreign Man Killed In Late Night Road Accident In Central Pattaya

Rimmer

Foreign man killed in late night road accident in Central Pattaya

PATTAYA:-- A Foreign man was killed in a late night road accident on the Sukhumvit Road in Central Pattaya on Tuesday.

The crash occurred close to Soi Sukhumvit 61 and resulted in the death of Mr. Rick Odgers, age and nationality unknown, who was carrying a Pattaya Sports Club Members Card indicating his name only. Witnesses indicated he was hit from behind by a fast moving Black Toyota Vios which failed to stop at the scene of the crash.

Mr. Odgers motorbike was then forced into a further collision with a White Honda Civic, driven by Khun Akadaert who was rear-ended by the motorbike and its driver, who sustained a fatal head trauma.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/49442/foreign-man-killed-late-night-road-accident-central-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

He was a friend of mine and he owned Rick Bakery next to The Red Lion Inn over the dark side.

We always had breakfast at Mokador every morning and the staff from there phoned me today to tell me about his untimely death. wai.gif

A lovely man who made great bread and stuff which was then delivered to many supermarkets and restaurants throughout Pattaya. wai.gif

He will be missed for sure. wai.gif

A gentleman. wai.gif

RIP Rick, my thoughts are with you and your family. wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

NormanW

Very sad news indeed and RIP/Condolences to his family.

Does anyone know that it was a Thai driver that hit him? I see just as many farangs that drive even crazier.

Driving in Thailand is dangerous and yes a motorbike is even more dangerous however I would not say I would never drive one here as I have for 11 years and not even a near miss. With the population of Thailand I am actually surprised that there is not more accidents to be honest.

If he does have family here let us know if there is anything we can all do to help.

Rip fella another sad statistic and further proof the Thai driving system is a dangerous joke.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

It's not the "driving system" at fault. It's the lack of enforcement of the rules where the problem lies. This sounds like a drunk driver failing to stop at the red light, or rushing the red light after it turned hoping to get through on time. This is extremely common practice here and deadly. I've seen buses speed through red lights nearly taking out a dozen motorcycles which were taking off on green.

• Like 2

Rip fella another sad statistic and further proof the Thai driving system is a dangerous joke.

It's not the "driving system" at fault. It's the lack of enforcement of the rules where the problem lies. This sounds like a drunk driver failing to stop at the red light, or rushing the red light after it turned hoping to get through on time. This is extremely common practice here and deadly. I've seen buses speed through red lights nearly taking out a dozen motorcycles which were taking off on green.

True,

It was very common earlier to drive out and get something to drink in the weekend, pick-up loaded up with 1/2 of the village and everybody got drunk incl the driver and then drive home 0200AM.

Its much easier for the driver in this case to do a runner, no problems (for him) only his cosiness, but how many do you hear about here that call the police 1 week later and say: Okay thas was me driving the car that night?

The Thais don't respect the rules at all, overtaking all over the place/running red lights and the list goes on. I almost got rear ended once in my car when breaking hard for a changing traffic light, and the driver was angry that I stopped.

Be very carefully out on the road here in Thailand, and I try to avoid riding my bike after 10pm as I fell there are too many drunks on the road.

It's been a week and a half since the accident and Rick's partner is still waiting for the authorities to release his body for burial. Unfortunately she was not married to Rick and is not considered his next of kin. That person is Rick's daughter, who lives in UK and she and her legal team are dragging their feet. All we can do is wait.

Regarding the accident, we now know that Rick and his motorbike were shunted into the back of a white Honda Civic car driven by a woman, by a madman in a black Toyota Vios. Both drivers stayed at the accident scene for about ten minutes, according to witnesses but the driver of the black Vios left the scene before the police arrived. We have pictures in the Pattaya newspapers of the woman driver being interviewed by police. Rick's partner has repeatedly been to the police to obtain information, so that she can track down the driver of the black Vios but has been met with a wall of silence. I hope the police are on the case.

Correct that and zero test or compulsory training.

It saddens me to think it will always be like this.

It's been a week and a half since the accident and Rick's partner is still waiting for the authorities to release his body for burial. Unfortunately she was not married to Rick and is not considered his next of kin. That person is Rick's daughter, who lives in UK and she and her legal team are dragging their feet. All we can do is wait.

Regarding the accident, we now know that Rick and his motorbike were shunted into the back of a white Honda Civic car driven by a woman, by a madman in a black Toyota Vios. Both drivers stayed at the accident scene for about ten minutes, according to witnesses but the driver of the black Vios left the scene before the police arrived. We have pictures in the Pattaya newspapers of the woman driver being interviewed by police. Rick's partner has repeatedly been to the police to obtain information, so that she can track down the driver of the black Vios but has been met with a wall of silence. I hope the police are on the case.

The legal system also saddens me. I wonder where the impetus comes from when the authorities deal with a dear old friend like Rick.

Is it a case of me being 'lucky' for the last 20 years not having an accident???

RIP Rick, you are missed.

• Like 1

All very sad, the internal combustion engine has brought nothing but sorrow in the last 120 years.

Coupled with mindless morons who should not even see such technology let alone operate it you have a recipe for disasater.

There is no "what if" mentallity hence the carnage. Even after 2 years I have to still tell the GF to wear a seat belt.

Since I know that nothing will change in Thailand, I use defensive driving all the time. My head is on a swivel watching all 3 mirrors, constant observation and anticipation is the key. But still somewhere out there is a complete idiot, on a phone, listening to crap music, yakking to their mates, full of drink and drugs, with no consideration or thought for anyone else just at the next bend, behind you or coming down a side Soi and they have no intention of looking or stopping.

Its a matter of time and they will get you and cos you are not a local its your fault.

I hope the deceased's family get it all sorted soon.

• Like 1