How To Find A Place To Live

Guyz

I have started a couple posts, once again here seeking some advice. Thank you all for the advice given so far. I have made it to Thailand, and I have a laptop that I can use to call back home and do internet searches, etc.

I would like to find a place to live near Chang Mai. I am wondering how to find out if it meets my requirements before I move in. I plan to (1) get a Education Visa learning Thai (though I would prefer to get one for learning Muay Thai kickboxing, does anyone know if that is possible? I have heard that it is not.), (2) get a job teaching English (illegally?), (3) learn Muay Thai kickboxing, (4) learn meditation, and (5) need internet access, (6) all on a fairly tight budget (though not as tight as previously, since I have accepted the need to make some income).

Does anyone either know for certain of a good area that meets those six requirements, or have some good recommendations how to to quickly find one? The advice would be much appreciated. (Maybe I should add that I am not to concerned with bars, drinking, prostitutes, and that sort of thing, though of course I love getting laid, it just isn't a priority. And I generally just like normal sex with women, which I can probably get anywhere.)

I don't know of anyone who used Muay Thai as a way to obtain a visa. As for renting, I know that over near Lanna Muay Thai (Busaba) there are cheap apartments and most of the boxers stayed there, sub 4000b. I trained there last summer but stayed with someone. How much do you want to spend for an apartment, are we talking 2000-6000baht or something elseou can walk to a lot of restaurants etc, but you will either be taking red trucks or renting a bike for more freedom. What muay thai school are you going to, and what area do you want to stay in? You talked about teaching, you are going to need a TEFL to do this and teaching is going to get in the way of the 6am-9am and 4-7 training schedule. Though I knew of one teacher who was teaching and then doing Muay Thai in the afternoon.

As for meditation, Wat Suan Dok has meditation retreats.

Easiest way to get a 1 year visa is to either get a job or join a language school. Both options are going to cost you money up front and teaching is going to overwhelm your schedule.

Regarding where to stay, I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm staying at Veerachai Court (google it if intereted) for at least a month while I get my bearings. Approx 4600 Baht per month.

It's basic, but it's clean enough, safe, internet access available (for extra) and pretty central for town centre.

No doubt there's better - look forward to responses.

You speak of requirements but you don't give many; you do list stuff you plan to get done, but none of those things really impact where you live. (Perhaps the requirement is to live close to a Muay Thai boxing place but then we still need to know which one). And then finally you state you're on a budget, but don't state what that budget is.

You're asking for a piece of string.

You speak of requirements but you don't give many; you do list stuff you plan to get done, but none of those things really impact where you live. (Perhaps the requirement is to live close to a Muay Thai boxing place but then we still need to know which one). And then finally you state you're on a budget, but don't state what that budget is.

He's on a 300 $/month budget.

Edit:

Edited by Baxer

Edit: http://www.thaivisa....l__300%20dollar

Ah.. that guy. :P

In that case: Cheapo room in Soi Chang Khian off Huay Kaew, close to the boxing place there. If you need a short-term (but cheap) guesthouse first as you look for a longer term room, you could stay here which is also close-ish to that general area and Nimmanhaemin too: http://www.chiang-mai.org/isra-house.html

Edit: http://www.thaivisa....l__300%20dollar

9,000 THB per month??? Chok dee. You should have made the trip 20 years ago. There is an older guy in my moobaan living on something like 15,000 per month and he lives like a pauper in a filthy, run down house and seldom ever leaves the house.

You want to work illegally?? You are off to a really bad start. How will you pay if you get sick?