PM Yingluck Worries Cheaper Computer Tablets May Not Be Good

webfact

PM worries cheaper tablets may not be good

THE NATION

30176506-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday she was doubtful about the quality of the tablet computers after the per-unit price in the budget plan had dropped from more than Bt3,000 to just Bt2,500.

"The premier has instructed the Education Ministry to review the specifications to ensure that the devices are worth it," PM's deputy secretary-general Thitima Chaisang said in her capacity as acting government spokesperson.

According to her, the Education Ministry was seeking Bt1.79 billion for its plan to hand out 800,000 tablets to Pathom 1 students under the government's One Tablet Per Child Policy. The Budget Bureau was, in fact, prepared to allocate about Bt1.93 billion for the purpose.

Thitima was speaking after she emerged from the Cabinet meeting.

During the meeting, the Cabinet approved in principle the plan to arrange the procurement of tablets from China via a government-to-government contract. The foreign minister has been tasked with appointing representatives to lead negotiations on the procurement with the Chinese government as resolved by the Cabinet.

The resolution has also assigned the Information and Communications Technology Ministry to arrange the procurement, prepare Wi-Fi services and develop systems to facilitate the use of these devices for learning purposes.

The ministry's Office of the Permanent Secretary will be responsible of reimbursing the Budget Bureau, except for the portions Bangkok Metropolitan Administra-tion and Pattaya City will be using to implement the plan.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-23

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The foreign minister has been tasked with appointing representatives to lead negotiations on the procurement with the Chinese government as resolved by the Cabinet.

Cue Thaksin's/Yingluck's cousin to enter the disastrous coordination of a doomed "scheme."

They want him to lead negotiations for a massive procurement, distribution, and implementation plan.... and they think they'll have everything finalized and in place by their announced May start time.

But surely now-PM Yingluck promised the students notebooks like her own one, wasn't it a reasonable Samsung-product, which she displayed pre-election ? Is she only now beginning to doubt her ability to deliver ?

She should read ThaiVisa, where the flaws have been widely-discussed, for months now !

Never mind ... it was only a 'pre-election promise'. rolleyes.gif

The foreign minister has been tasked with appointing representatives to lead negotiations on the procurement with the Chinese government as resolved by the Cabinet.

Cue Thaksin's/Yingluck's cousin to enter the disastrous coordination of a doomed "scheme."

They want him to lead negotiations for a massive procurement, distribution, and implementation plan.... and they think they'll have everything finalized and in place by their announced May start time.

And Thaksin is in Bejing at the moment, Coincidence? I don't think so. How much is the Shinawatra family making off of this as the middleman in this transaction?

• Like 2

But surely now-PM Yingluck promised the students notebooks like her own one, wasn't it a reasonable Samsung-product, which she displayed pre-election ? Is she only now beginning to doubt her ability to deliver ?

She should read ThaiVisa, where the flaws have been widely-discussed, for months now !

Never mind ... it was only a 'pre-election promise'. rolleyes.gif

yeah... nothing different with western politicians wai.gif

Have they even decided what these things are supposed to be running on them? For simple learning games and text books I fail to see why the latest and greatest is of any importance. I think they need to establish a software plan before the hardware even becomes a concern. They are putting these in the hands of children so they need to be rugged and inexpensive to repair/replace because having them break is inevitable. The whole scheme just seems half-baked.

No, the point of this whole "scheme" is to profit the people who will provide the tablets, infrastructure, wi-fi access, upgrades and before this is all said and done they will decide that while this scheme failed we owe it to the students to do it right the next time. and off we will go with another round of spending for no real return for the students only profits and payoffs for those involved in the procurement process.

• Like 1

Have they even decided what these things are supposed to be running on them? For simple learning games and text books I fail to see why the latest and greatest is of any importance. I think they need to establish a software plan before the hardware even becomes a concern. They are putting these in the hands of children so they need to be rugged and inexpensive to repair/replace because having them break is inevitable. The whole scheme just seems half-baked.

A pdf reader and calculator. Thrown in a flash player and Thai (English not needed) dictionary. That's all it need for a Por 1.

Edited by sparebox2

With 1.9 billion, I can build an IT factory, capable of producing EVERYONE a tablet at the same low price as the China. At the same time, create thousands of jobs for the Thai people and also AT THE SAME TIME improve technological competitiveness internationally. Has that thought crossed anyone's minds? Injecting that kind of money into Thai economy rather than giving all the opportunities to China, and all the more reasons for Minnebea, Seagate and other IT factories to leave Thailand.

• Like 1

With 1.9 billion, I can build an IT factory, capable of producing EVERYONE a tablet at the same low price as the China. At the same time, create thousands of jobs for the Thai people and also AT THE SAME TIME improve technological competitiveness internationally. Has that thought crossed anyone's minds? Injecting that kind of money into Thai economy rather than giving all the opportunities to China, and all the more reasons for Minnebea, Seagate and other IT factories to leave Thailand.

But, but they want the tablets delivered in 8 weeks. Before you could even buy a plot of land.

Pre election promises mean nothing Tony Blair promised the British a referendum on Europe.

Any left wing govt is a bad thing.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I think that all revolved around wether a constitutional change was involved. It was a bit borderline I agree but certainly not an outright lie. As for Tony Blair heading a left wing government many, particularly in his own party would dispute that.

As for the original topic it's difficult to know what's going on here at the moment but it does look like there will be delays at the very least. If I was being generous I would say at least the PM has noticed the flaws in this programme so far.

• Like 1