Mindfulness - The Antidote To Frenzied Multitasking

sabaijai

Mindfulness - The antidote to frenzied multitasking

7pm, Thursday, February 23rd, 2012

How would you like 30% les

s stress at work? How about reducing anger and irritation by 40% at the office? Would you like to infuse more emotional balance in the workplace?

Work life requires a high degree of clear focus and concentration. These skills can be trained and lead to much greater performance and efficiency. Mindfulness Training is a simple, yet profound technique for improving the capacity of each individual.

The Potential Project is the creator of the Corporate-Based Mindfulness Training (CBMT) concept. Corporate working life has specific challenges that require a special approach to Mindfulness Training. CBMT is a tailor-made solution for busy people with little time and high ambitions. The individual and organizational benefits of the program are remarkable; so are the scientifically proven benefits of the training.

In this session "Mindfulness at Work" we will tackle a massive issue facing almost everyone i.e. the perils of frenzy multi-tasking in our busy lives whether at work or home and how to manage the stresses of modern life.

This event is open to females, males, members and non-members of BNOW. Fee for BNOW members is 500 baht and non-members is 700 baht and includes dinner. To take advantage of the early bird offer.

About the speaker:

Executive coach Linda Ambrose is passionate about helping her clients achieve better life-work balance and to function effectively and efficiently whilst maintaining a clear and calm attitude. Linda is a highly experienced consultant with 37 years experience specializing in pharmaceutical, educational and healthcare sectors. She has a proven track record in designing valuable programs that deliver operational improvement through people development.

http://www.bnow.org/next_event.html

The fact of Mindfulness is... that we cannot multi-task.

We can only be aware (mindful) of one thing at a time, although it might seem otherwise, because it all happens so quickly.

Whilst walking and chewing gum at the same time we might think we are being clever....knowing the walking, knowing the chewing, knowing the taste....but when we step on a sharp stone, all those are forgotten as our mind(fulness) is taken off them and put on the pain in our foot. Then it shuttles back and forth between the walking, taste, chewing and new pain...all very quickly.

The barking dog takes our mind(fulness) off the breathing whilst sitting, so we then take our mind(fulness) off the sound of the dog by putting it back on the breathing movements again.

Only able to be mindful of one thing at a time, when our mind is distracted we distract it back again.

When at the dentist i take my mind off my mouth and take inordinate interest in my big toe....

"Multi-tasking" is, of course, merely a linguistic convention. Your mind can only note one mind-moment at a time, but other physical and mental activities can take place simultaneously, in the conventional sense, eg, steering a car with your right hand while adjusting the radio with your left. Performing more than one action at the same time, yes even walking while chewing gum ;)

I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that, between men and women, women are more renowned for their ability to multi-task. In the context, this was regarded as something positive. True or not, I can't say. Interesting. Could we say the converse, men are more renowned for their mindfulness? I'll take that...

• 1 month later...

The fact of Mindfulness is... that we cannot multi-task.

We can only be aware (mindful) of one thing at a time, although it might seem otherwise, because it all happens so quickly.

Whilst walking and chewing gum at the same time we might think we are being clever....knowing the walking, knowing the chewing, knowing the taste....but when we step on a sharp stone, all those are forgotten as our mind(fulness) is taken off them and put on the pain in our foot. Then it shuttles back and forth between the walking, taste, chewing and new pain...all very quickly.

The barking dog takes our mind(fulness) off the breathing whilst sitting, so we then take our mind(fulness) off the sound of the dog by putting it back on the breathing movements again.

Only able to be mindful of one thing at a time, when our mind is distracted we distract it back again.

When at the dentist i take my mind off my mouth and take inordinate interest in my big toe....

:-)