All You "Thailand" Sceptics...

http://www.bloomberg...ng-markets.html

In a Bloomberg Markets ranking, Thailand is second only to China among the world’s best emerging markets for investors. The ranking looks at a series of measures such as market transparency and prospects for growth over the next four years.

And yet Thailand has developed such successful electronics and auto industries that it now produces from 35 to 40 percent of all computer hard disk drives and, in 2010, built more light trucks than Japan.

In agriculture, besides being the world’s biggest rice exporter, Thailand ranks No. 1 in rubber and No. 2 in sugar. The country that brands itself the Land of Smiles has consistently remained one of the world’s top 20 tourism destinations, attracting more visitors in 2010 than Greece.

Thiraphong’s Bangkok-based company, which owns the Chicken of the Sea brand in the U.S. and John West in Europe, is the world’s No. 1 producer of canned tuna.

In the fourth quarter of 2011, despite the floods, the SET Index jumped 12 percent to become the world’s fourth-best performer. It has risen a further 11 percent this year as of Feb 22.

In 2010, Thailand was by far the biggest rice exporter, shipping 9 million tons. During the same period, its nearest rival, Vietnam, shipped 6.7 million tons.

• Like 2

Nice to see they slipped the old "Thailand only South east Asia country to never be colonised" line in there.

Did they learn anything from it? Not being colonised I mean, it certainly did not expose them to new ideas did it?

How many of those industries performed well under water?

With the bank rate being cut, fuel and inflation rising if someone does not get a grip of the situation soon the landscape could change very quickly and reports like this are often compiled from 1000's of miles away with data that is not being checked, the roadshow was great, like my lunch and free gift.

Edited by exeter

Nice to see they slipped the old "Thailand only South east Asia country to never be colonised" line in there.

Did they learn anything from it? Not being colonised I mean, it certainly did not expose them to new ideas did it?

It could be argued that Thailand has been colonized by the Chinese.

Sure. If you make up your own criteria and definition of colonization.

Like a passive takeover through matromonial ways, yes it certainly is good thought.

It might not have been colonized, but it was occupied by the Japanese, a part of history that the Thai's don't like to remember.

THey dont like the Japanese but dont know why, maybe one day a Thai will ask the question at a school, expect the answer to be something like " they no good." One good reason not to teach history at school.

What was the one piece of infrastructure protected at all costs during the great flood.....Suvarnabumi airport ! Car and electronics plants were left to rot. I would of thought that prostitution , pay for marriage services and manpower contracts would be the most profitable industry in Thailand.

At least the money stays here whereas with cars and electronics it mostly goes abroad.

No airport= no Thai economy. Car and electronics profits mostly go o/seas.

Well isnt it correct to say that most of the manufacturing volume and exports listed above are from foreign transplanted companies that are just here for the

cheap labor. If not for all the foreign owned manufacturing what would Thailand have to export besides agricultural products.

It might not have been colonized, but it was occupied by the Japanese, a part of history that the Thai's don't like to remember.

Not true at all. Thailand was a Japanese ally during World War II and was never occupied. Thailand maintained its own independent government with a fully armed and active military and police force. Thailand even declared war on the US, Britain, The Netherlands, and all the western allies.

The country was NEVER occupied. Any Thai who tries to tell you that either just doesn't know the facts, or wants to absolve Thailand of any responsibility during the war.

Western countries are run by Farangs with all the ideas, not Thais, and look how well they are doing.laugh.png

Not true at all. Thailand was a Japanese ally during World War II and was never occupied. Thailand maintained its own independent government with a fully armed and active military and police force. Thailand even declared war on the US, Britain, The Netherlands, and all the western allies.

The country was NEVER occupied. Any Thai who tries to tell you that either just doesn't know the facts, or wants to absolve Thailand of any responsibility during the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Thai_Movement

Brief outline.

Yeap, Thailand has never been colonized; they always buddy-up to whoever is getting ready to invade them. But once their new buddy is beaten by its foe, Thailand buddies-up to the winner.

Certain institutes and organisation can draw pictures in favour of countries by using preferable methods to elaborate economic indicators.

Anyway, We all know Thailand is an emerging economy and performs great in some industries, such as the rice, sugar (quality and standard arguable), car parts some computer parts.

But also there is a question , in this great economy how many percent of the population actually work, I mean officially, and pay tax. And how much do these people earn in these great factories???

This is also an interesting question. And where does this great wealth go what they profit on their highly performing businesses?

But also there is a question , in this great economy how many percent of the population actually work, I mean officially, and pay tax. And how much do these people earn in these great factories??? This is also an interesting question. And where does this great wealth go what they profit on their highly performing businesses?

my interesting question is "who is interested in answers for your questions?" anybody living in Thailand with an IQ above 82.5 knows the answers and those with a lower IQ are not interested.

Couldn't one make the same claim against Britain?

It's easy to identify X-amount of good (and bad) points about any country....and Thailand has its good and bad points. And there is the ol' saying of, Lies, Dammed Lies, and Statistics.

But you can't argue about the performance of the Thai stock exchange compared to others, nor about the strength of the baht

I would say those indicators are much better gauges of the world's confidence in Thailand's economy than a bunch of disgruntled expats on an internet forum

• Like 2

Er? what did the Japanese do?

I would of thought that prostitution , pay for marriage services and manpower contracts would be the most profitable industry in Thailand.

At least the money stays here whereas with cars and electronics it mostly goes abroad.

Could I ask the moderators to rule on something please.

Is it against forum rules to point out that someone is a f*****g idiot when it is clearly obvious they are, in fact, a f*****g idiot?

I'd like a clarification before I reply properly to this gentleman's assertion.

Thank you.

As long as you can keep your response within these guidelines:

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Kind of misleading touting the production of hard drives and cars as Thai accomplishments. Seagate and Western Digital are US companies, who came over here to take advantage of low labor costs -unskilled labor- then trained staff to do the production. Likewise, Toyota, Honda, etc., are the brains, while under-educated Thais do the heavy lifting (This, unfortunately, applies to Japanese car production in the US also).

Someone get back to me when something originating in Thailand appears on Bloomberg's radar...other than rice, and neon-lit massage parlors.

I would of thought that prostitution , pay for marriage services and manpower contracts would be the most profitable industry in Thailand.

Is it against forum rules to point out that someone is a f*****g idiot when it is clearly obvious they are, in fact, a f*****g idiot?

Thank you.

"i would of thought" it is indeed against forum rules laugh.png

Someone get back to me when something originating in Thailand appears on Bloomberg's radar...other than rice, and neon-lit massage parlors.

You obviously didn't get very far with the article.

Here we go, just for you.

Thailand ranks No. 1 in rubber and No. 2 in sugar. The country that brands itself the Land of Smiles has consistently remained one of the world’s top 20 tourism destinations

It is so predictable that when anything positive is said about Thailand, the instant knee jerk reaction is

1. Disbelief

2. Some comment on prostitution

Edited by 12DrinkMore
  • Like 1

Yeap, Thailand has never been colonized; they always buddy-up to whoever is getting ready to invade them. But once their new buddy is beaten by its foe, Thailand buddies-up to the winner.

Whoreing seems to be a national characteristic.

Thank you.

You are <snip> Bendix - discussion of moderation is not allowed ! jap.gif