Pao: Remarkable New Chinese Specialty Restaurant On Pattaya Klang

Jingthing

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. They are closed March 19-29 (travel to HK)

2. If you see the window shuttered and do not see the sandwich board outside then they are CLOSED (owner goes to market daily before he opens shop, sometimes he gets stuck in traffic thus a 5pm opening is wishful thinking for him)

3. He doesn't want to open earlier because he says there is no business

4. He refuses to lower his standards or work outside his box just to please local palates (people have asked him to do those fried noodle birdsnests, he won't do!

5. I think he'd love to hear from a local foodie expert with knowledge about his cuisine (and enjoys all things 'sunrise' to get pointers about how to move forward.

6. My meal today was terrific as usual!

• Like 2

I just cant get it out of my head that he is recommending The Boat.

It's kind of totally irrelevant; you don't know if he was actually there or just repeating what someone else said to people who complain he doesn't serve Thai food (and why should he!). Not to mention the Boat is not at all bad for basic cheap Thai food like pad krapaw, fried rice, and Thai salads. I recommend Boat, btw, for their pad krapow.

It's kind of totally irrelevant; you don't know if he was actually there or just repeating what someone else said to people who complain he doesn't serve Thai food (and why should he!). Not to mention the Boat is not at all bad for basic cheap Thai food like pad krapaw, fried rice, and Thai salads. I recommend Boat, btw, for their pad krapow.

The Boat has very good Pad Thai.

The Boat has very good Pad Thai.

Right and all kinds of noodles as it's named after Boat noodles. You can even order stuff off the menu such as pad kee mao. Anyway, this is off topic to this wonderful new CHINESE restaurant we are so lucky to have now in our not-so-fair city.

REMOVED

She is the main cook while he is the meet&greet type with the excellent English and friendly personality. Yes there are only 2 of them so sometimes she serves the food & refills the tea. I think you expect a lot from someone with poor English skills and who is probably used to not interacting with customers. I get the same treatment from the Thais who serve the orders at the Foodland restaurant.

I tried the beef curry last night, not bad for 110 baht but it's not really my thing. I told him that his ramen dish was the best item on the menu and that he should think about expanding it in terms of flavor choices (currently only spicy beef). He says he'll see what happens based on customer growth.

He'd like to pay a visit to his Jontiem competition. I told him it's a bit of a fail at the moment but could borrow 1 idea, the buns on display/for sale. I think this place needs to show what they are selling from the outside, large photos in the window or those Japanese style plastic versions of their meals.

They may not reopen till 30th depending on what flight he catches back from HK.

I thought it was amusing when he said he chose Thailand to start his business because it was the safest country to live compared to other tropical countries in close proximity to HK.

It's a matter of opinion, but I really don't see the Jomtien Soi Welcome Northern Chinese/Sechuan place as any kind of direct "competition" to Pao. For different reasons:

-- they share almost none of the same dishes on the menu

-- while they both have dumplings, the style of dumplings offered is very different

-- Soi welcome noodle dishes are not freshly made and very unexceptional (that's the polite way to say it) while Pao's are freshly made and exceptional

-- Soi Welcome does a number of classic Sechuan "main course" dishes like Kung Pao Chicken, Sechuan twice cooked pork, Sechuan hot pot, etc. Pao doesn't offer that.

-- For English speakers, Pao is a breeze, Soi Welcome Chinese is very challenging

-- Pao takes its influence from Hong Kong and Shanghai (as in their soup in the dumplings choices) as again Soi Welcome is Northern Chinese/Sechuan

-- Pao is in Central Pattaya, Soi Welcome in rather far out Jomtien

I'm happy we have BOTH places now as options, but "competition" implies they are doing the same food. They aren't.

I guess it IS true that the same kind of adventurous expat diners may be interested in both places though. But what you're going to eat at the different places is indeed ... very different.

Edited by Jingthing

It's a matter of opinion, but I really don't see the Jomtien Soi Welcome Northern Chinese/Sechuan place as any kind of direct "competition" to Pao. For different reasons:

-- they share almost none of the same dishes on the menu

-- while they both have dumplings, the style of dumplings offered is very different

-- Soi welcome noodle dishes are not freshly made and very unexceptional (that's the polite way to say it) while Pao's are freshly made and exceptional

-- Soi Welcome does a number of classic Sechuan "main course" dishes like Kung Pao Chicken, Sechuan twice cooked pork, Sechuan hot pot, etc. Pao doesn't offer that.

-- For English speakers, Pao is a breeze, Soi Welcome Chinese is very challenging

-- Pao takes its influence from Hong Kong and Shanghai (as in their soup in the dumplings choices) as again Soi Welcome is Northern Chinese/Sechuan

-- Pao is in Central Pattaya, Soi Welcome in rather far out Jomtien

I'm happy we have BOTH places now as options, but "competition" implies they are doing the same food. They aren't.

I guess it IS true that the same kind of adventurous expat diners may be interested in both places though. But what you're going to eat at the different places is indeed ... very different.

'Mr. Pao' does regularly read this thread, and is looking forward to meeting the Guru of Good Food. He's also asking Farang customers if they have come via ThaiVisa.

How much for dumpLings as it seems to be your restaurant ?

:-)

Funny, I don't look Chinese. You clearly aren't familiar with my food obsession if you think I have any commercial interests here.

For example, 60 baht for two smallish sized pan fried dumplings with beef and hot soup inside. Curry and rice plates I think under 150. I estimate a hungry person wanting to really experience their menu would spend about 200 - 300 baht person excluding drink. In any case, while this isn't a cheap Charlie Thai style dim sum joint, I can't imagine many people thinking the place doesn't offer good value for the quality of the food.

300 baht is hardly cheap in thailand, there are many places around where you can get excellent meals for that price, gotta be good to stand any chance of survival. If located on the main drag with passing holiday makers not a problem, but if out of the way then they are not going to get the passers by.

It is definitely good, so no worries there. BTW, the curry dishes are 100 baht for chicken curry and 120 baht for beef curry.

Also I think it is quite clear that in these modern times in big city Pattaya, 300 baht for a delicious meal is not exactly shocking.

Edited by Jingthing

I for 1 am still really excited and looking forward to trying this place out. I've been thinking about it almost daily but the timing just hasn't been right to bring the wife down there. Perhaps tonight will be the night.

• Like 1

I made it in to Pao tonight. Wow, I was really impressed with everything we ordered. The only thing we ordered that I didn't try was the drunkin chicken. That was more for the wife. Had the fried beef dumplings with soup, steamed beef dumpling with soup, hot/sour soup, slow cooked ribs, lemon grass pork, cucumber/garlic dish, and some fried wonton/eggroll wraps with minced beef inside. All of it was outstanding. 3 of us went and the total bill was about 800thb /tip.

When we walked in the place was empty (little after 6pm I think) and by the time we left there were 3 other tables of 4 and a single eater at the bar. Our timing was perfect as there was only a man and women to take orders, cook food, and serve. Since everything was made fresh it certainly wasn't fast food but by all means worthy of the wait. After we left we walked down the street for some mango and sticky rice to take home and by the time we walked back the place was empty again.

I will definitely be returning.

• Like 1

One problem for Chinese restaurants is that because they use mostly the same ingredients as Thai food, a lot of Westerners think that they should be the same price as a noodle stall.

Well yes and no. Thai food costs differently at a noodle stall and at various classes of actual restaurants. It would be interesting to know the most expensive serving of green curry in Thailand. Also of course, logically, the skill to cook believable Chinese food in Thailand as opposed to Thai food or Chinese Thai food is more rare here. Edited by Jingthing

Yes the globe trotting Pao chefs are back in HK until the end of the month.

(Which anyone would know who has read this thread.)

Funny, I don't think very highly of that Vietnamese place you speak of. It isn't really Vietnamese food anyway. It is Thai-Vietnamese with the emphasis on THAI tastes.

In my view their Naem Nueng which is of course their featured dish would be quite good except for the odd flavor of the pork roll meat. I find the dish much better at Vientiane on Pattaya Tai.

http://xinfully.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/naem-neung-a-vietnamese-turned-thai-food/

Edited by Jingthing

Yes the globe trotting Pao chefs are back in HK until the end of the month.

(Which anyone would know who has read this thread.)

Funny, I don't think very highly of that Vietnamese place you speak of. It isn't really Vietnamese food anyway. It is Thai-Vietnamese with the emphasis on THAI tastes.

In my view their Naem Nueng which is of course their featured dish would be quite good except for the odd flavor of the pork roll meat. I find the dish much better at Vientiane on Pattaya Tai.

http://xinfully.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/naem-neung-a-vietnamese-turned-thai-food/

Yes I live a 2 min walk from that 'Vietnamese' place, have only been once, very inauthentic, it sucks.

However, almost across from said sucky place is a very good, and dirt cheap, no frills Chinese style duck restaurant. They now have a photo menu so you see what you're going to get. Avg menu item costs 40 baht. They also have Falang-friendly chicken options in western style gravy, so everything you order does not have to be delicious duck.

• Like 1

JT it was my fault and not Pao. I walked from Central Festival and was craving Chinese. I love spring rolls...hence the Vietnam choice. Pictures at Pao looked delicous. I thought the old Thai man and 2 Burmese girls at the V place were so dam_n friendly. My friends also liked their cold beef and noodle dish.

Today I will go to the duck place. Report follows.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com