Pao: Remarkable New Chinese Specialty Restaurant On Pattaya Klang

Jingthing

I've only been in there a few times now (maybe 3) but I always walk out satisfied. There are some things on the menu that won't find their place on the westerners favorites list (the drunken chicken comes to mind) but there are more than enough winners for sure. Several of the dishes (noodles, dumplings and such) are not to be found anywhere else in town (or if they are, no comparison).

I will certainly be back and hope they have great success.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm back in Toronto now and have been having a daily Chinese gorge, fried rice noodle with beef, fukin fried rice, general tsao, congee. The Best! I wish Pao the best of luck but they have a long road ahead. Hopefully being from HK, they have money to burn to keep this place open indefinitely.

Whyowhy, over and out!

Edited by Rimmer

I think a big sign or banner out front would bring in a few more customers.

HONG KONG NOODLE or something like that.

Yes and making a big deal (signage again) that the noodles are freshly made in house as in Pattaya, that is a big deal. It's one of those things if they get people to taste the first taste, many will become customers (if they're local). Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in there sat night and it was dead empty. It's too bad since the food is superb. I suggested he add some signage in russian to attract more customers and he mentioned that most russians walk in, look at the russian menu, and leave.

Just a head heads up:

Pao is doing another closure starting today, closed May 19 through May 29

Rather than kvetch about how often they do closures, think of it as a quaint feature! clap2.gif

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

....I admit am lazy......thumbsup.gif

Who can give me some instruction how I can reach Pao, if I ride motorbike along North Pattaya Road, then turn on to 3rd road? I am not very familiar with that area :))))) (But I know where Tony's Gym and the IT shopping mall are )

And no, the ingredients/seasonings in CN food are quite different from those in Thai food, even the soy sauce and vinegar. Every time I come back from China, I bring back lots of cooking stuff coffee1.gif

3rd road to Pattaya Klang

Turn right on Pattaya Klang

Go a bit on Pattaya Klang until you see PAO (on the NORTH side of street) which is next to FASCINO Pharmacy. It is well before 2nd road. It is across the street from some kind of Pattaya indoor football stadium. Also across the street further down the road (if you see it, you've gone to far) is the famous local Thai Chinese restaurant LENG KEE.

Not sure they are back open yet though. If not should be soon. Only open at night after 6 PM when they're open, and closed every Monday.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Another point of reference for you sports fans is that is across the street from the Football Stadium on Central Pattaya road.

Yes, but didn't I say that already?whistling.gif

It is across the street from some kind of Pattaya indoor football stadium.

New Flash. Hot off the Presses:

There is a "Dining Out with Frugal Freddy" writeup of Pao in the May issue of Pattaya Trader magazine. Page 42-3. OK, it's not the New York Times ...

Edited by Jingthing

Another point of reference for you sports fans is that is across the street from the Football Stadium on Central Pattaya road.

There is a "Dining Out with Frugal Freddy" writeup of Pao in the May issue of Pattaya Trader magazine. Page 42-3. OK, it's not the New York Times ...

Guess I missed that in your post.. My apologies for the repeat..

As for the writeup.. since I have no intention of getting a pattaya trader, would you care to comment on the review (if you've read it that is).

As for the writeup.. since I have no intention of getting a pattaya trader, would you care to comment on the review (if you've read it that is).

Puff piece! It's not supposed to be a real review. Thailand's "press" doesn't do real reviews. But we like this place, so who cares!

Puff piece! It's not supposed to be a real review. Thailand's "press" doesn't do real reviews. But we like this place, so who cares!

Agreed.. I was just hoping that they had quite great things to say so that we are more likely to keep being able to enjoy this place as they will have a stronger customer base. I was more interested in how the review would effect the future of this great restaurant.

3rd road to Pattaya Klang

Turn right on Pattaya Klang

Go a bit on Pattaya Klang until you see PAO (on the NORTH side of street) which is next to FASCINO Pharmacy. It is well before 2nd road. It is across the street from some kind of Pattaya indoor football stadium. Also across the street further down the road (if you see it, you've gone to far) is the famous local Thai Chinese restaurant LENG KEE.

Not sure they are back open yet though. If not should be soon. Only open at night after 6 PM when they're open, and closed every Monday.

These directions confused me at first as I always approach Klang along Third Rd. from the South heading North.

Your directions are approaching from the North heading South?

My friend and her daughter went to Pao last night. They like the food there very much. 2 ladies, spend in total 340 baht. They did not order drink , as there had free ice tea. Their comment is : nice and delicate :)))

I went to the CN restaurant on 3rd again yesterday. Had a Ma Po Tou <deleted>, a vegetable, 2 rices and 1 water , in total 215 bath. Ma Po Tou <deleted> is very delicious. And the quantity of food is sufficient. Pity can't eat too much alone. Can only try one or two dishes each time.

On the menu, I also see Beef with Cumin, 300 baht. Guess its taste should be authentic.

My friend and her daughter went to Pao last night. They like the food there very much. 2 ladies, spend in total 340 baht. They did not order drink , as there had free ice tea. Their comment is : nice and delicate smile.png))

I went to the CN restaurant on 3rd again yesterday. Had a Ma Po Tou <deleted>, a vegetable, 2 rices and 1 water , in total 215 bath. Ma Po Tou <deleted> is very delicious. And the quantity of food is sufficient. Pity can't eat too much alone. Can only try one or two dishes each time.

On the menu, I also see Beef with Cumin, 300 baht. Guess its taste should be authentic.

Oh wow! Beef with Cumin. That is a classic Sechuan dish. So we've got a Sechuan place in Pattaya! Fantastic.

Also cool to hear your friend liked Pao.

Edited by Jingthing

Two bowls of soup. Wow!

Good pics. The pan fried beef pie thingies, have a soupy broth INSIDE when you bite into them.

Yeah those pan fried beef dumplings are my favorite and I always get at least 1 order if not 2. Also, I can't go there without getting the slow cooked ribs. They are to die for!

• Like 1