What Right I Have Here?

What can you do in this country if retired, visitor or married.?

Still we can not own land, we are not Thai citizen.

In USA you can buy a car,or a house as a tourist. Once resident of USA much harder for them to kick you out.

I think its foolish to buy expensive condominium when farang have no right in this Thai country.

Whats your point. I can buy a car in Thailand, I have an address a drivers licenses and the most important one money. But I have to ask myself sometime do I really want one for a bit more convience, considering the downside, insurance, upkeep, storage when I go on vacation.

Really in the end get to know the rules of being here if you donot like these rules then consider your options.

"What can you do in this country if retired, visitor or married.?"

If a visitor, you may visit the many wonderful sights of Thailand.

If married, you may enjoy spending time with your wife (and family?).

If retired, you may do whatever retired people do, don't know what that is exactly, I assume enjoy the time you now have, not having to go to work, hopefully with a secured future.

Own Condo's, YES, own a car - YES, own property - YES (just not the land its on, you lease that for your lifetime).

You can do pretty much whatever you want, this being why so many retire/live here, because of the relaxed live and let live life style and not completely stuffed up with excessive taxes with rediculous rules and regulations for just about everyting like people are in the west.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

Own Condo's, YES, own a car - YES, own property - YES (just not the land its on, you lease that for your lifetime).

You can do pretty much whatever you want, this being why so many retire/live here, because of the relaxed live and let live life style and not completely stuffed up with excessive taxes with rediculous rules and regulations for just about everyting like people are in the west.

You can't lease for your lifetime unless you have no more then 30 years to live. When the land is sold within the 30 years you have a problem too.

You can't lease for your lifetime unless you have no more then 30 years to live. When the land is sold within the 30 years you have a problem too.

You can lease for your lifetime, I have it, set up by a lawyer, stamped, acknowledged and lodged with the land office. I also have power of attorney should anything happen to my wife before my demise.

Edited by Tafia

I mean by no right you have no recourse if the gov decide to take your belongings and kick you ass out of this country.

They can cancel your visa or not to renew it. you have no power here with an attorney.

Think about, the red will get rid of us soon. They think we are bad...

Yawn. Where ya moving to, then?

• Like 1

Yes I'm not sure how you can lease the land for a lifetime. You must be mistaken. They used to have a rule that you could lease for 30 years with an option of renewing that lease for another 30 years. This you could not hand down to your children or anything too.

Posters are correct, you could have your visa revoked for many different reasons and then even if you did have what you say you have you are SOL.

Would love to see you show this lease here. That 30 + 30 years lease went out many years ago.

Even when we own a condo if you are made to leave Thailand then the only way you can sell it is through your wife but also need lawyers and you can't come back to LOS.

I mean by no right you have no recourse if the gov decide to take your belongings and kick you ass out of this country.

They can cancel your visa or not to renew it. you have no power here with an attorney.

...and where do you live then?

I think its foolish to buy expensive condominium when farang have no right in this Thai country.
I did so, and I am afraid I agree with you.

Based on...what? Did the government seize your condo and kick you out of the country like the OP suggests could happen?

Use your imagination a bit more. I'm not in the mood to detail all the various potential long term issues with it. Nothing personal, just feeling lazy. Cheers.

Based on...what? Did the government seize your condo and kick you out of the country like the OP suggests could happen?

Use your imagination a bit more. I'm not in the mood to detail all the various potential long term issues with it. Nothing personal, just feeling lazy. Cheers.

How predictable.

Later

Have a good flight to Geneva

How predictable.

OK. I will say this. It's in my self interest to say what a good idea it is to buy a condo here because someday I might want to try to sell mine to one of you. But instead I am saying, as a foreigner, don't think twice, think 100 times before buying a condo in Thailand.

Yes, you can lease land for lifetime, contract for 30 years with two optional (only optional for you) renawals. If land is sold the contract terms go with the land so you are secure. Contract is personal and cannot be transfered.

And what country can not throw you out just like that? Your own country can not, but there was a reason for moving, wasn't there?

I doubt any Thai goverment should survive trowing out the visitors with all the money they add to the Thai economy! That would be taking a step backwards towars Mayamar politics and when did we see that happen last?

You need to take riscs in life to achieve something, but if you can afford renting your home maybe that will be a better option for you, but I doubt for everyone!

I buildt a house in Thailand and it was so inexpensive I can afford to loose it, til then I have the time of my life! The only thing you need to fear is fear itself!

• Like 1

Tend to agree but who is the Red ?. You mean Red shirt or what.

OP, had a bad hairday ? Life is about taking risks, If you check the visaforum here, you will see how many expats and wannabe expats are trying everything in their power to stay in Thailand. But it is not for everyone, but maybe if you left the cesspool, you're staying in and had a look around the "real" Thailand, (yes I know it dangerous) specially i the northeast, where the "reds" are living. If everything else fails, I am sure that there still are tours from Zurich to Palma De Mallorca.

• Like 1

How predictable.

OK. I will say this. It's in my self interest to say what a good idea it is to buy a condo here because someday I might want to try to sell mine to one of you. But instead I am saying, as a foreigner, don't think twice, think 100 times before buying a condo in Thailand.

For what reason? I've bought and sold several over the years with no problem whatsoever. If you are regretting buying yours, why isn't it for sale now?

You will feel sorry when she will call the cops to kick you out of HER house.

Now they even build swimming pools on roof to give you a sens of ownership....

Farangs still live in a dream world with their visa, at least they own a piece of paper with a stamp on it "expir in 1 year"and they still think they have rights :lol:

All they want is your cash and get rid of you!

You can stay one year at a time if you can show 20.000 euros or 27500 UDS.

You could move to Europe where you can ask asylum, wait 2 years before they decide to kick you out or allow you to stay for ever and one day, in the meantime you will get free housing, food, medicare and pocket money.

Not all people are equal to the law.

Putting a house you funded in someone else's name is one thing -- you never owned it, did you?

But I would still like someone to provide a scenariio where a condo registered in your own name could somehow be stolen from you.

Jingthing has alluded that this is a real risk, but slinks away when asked to elaborate.

some one wants that building they will get it, have the govt condem the building tearr it down and build a new one, you might get some money out of it if lucky. the ones with the most baht have the rights here. that is why I will never invest or buy into any buisness or property, including a condo.

some one wants that building they will get it, have the govt condem the building tearr it down and build a new one, you might get some money out of it if lucky. the ones with the most baht have the rights here. that is why I will never invest or buy into any buisness or property, including a condo.

Fairy tales.

Anyway, interesting scenario. Anyone how knows what rules do apply if someone own the majority of Condos in a building? Have he the right to buy out the rest?

This seems to me like a question I would asked before invest in one!