Bangkok Taxi Driver Poses As Military Officer, Robs Foreign Passengers

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no-one else has remarked on the fact, it falls to me to observe that foreigners appear unable to distinguish between an Esaan taxi driver and a Thai military officer.

Yes when I saw the headline I had a comical mental picture of a taxi driver wearing a fake Army officer's uniform so it was a bit of a let down to find out that it was just some skinny kid claiming to be an officer. I guess the tyre iron was more convincing

That husain is one smart guy, I wish I can "memorize" the Thai LP, it's all still alien script to me and I've been here for 4 years (just stating the fact).

Another 4 years and you might of worked out that Thai numberplates use Arabic numerals, that is the same numbers we in the west use and which most of the world understand (just stating the fact).

I think it might have been a coerced confession. The plainclothes cop is armed with a loaded finger.

Its obviously a desperation-caused crime. The driver has been financially frustrated waiting for his B5000 to repair his house, his credit card, his kids tablets, his B300/day pay rise, his drug-free workplace - and decided the only way he could be rich within the 6 month time-frame was to rob some tourists (he doesn't own a jet-ski). I hope the courts treat him with the leniency he deserves.

If they jail all the red-shirt criminals, PTP vote will be much lower next election.

I think it might have been a coerced confession. The plainclothes cop is armed with a loaded finger.

Its obviously a desperation-caused crime. The driver has been financially frustrated waiting for his B5000 to repair his house, his credit card, his kids tablets, his B300/day pay rise, his drug-free workplace - and decided the only way he could be rich within the 6 month time-frame was to rob some tourists (he doesn't own a jet-ski). I hope the courts treat him with the leniency he deserves.

If they jail all the red-shirt criminals, PTP vote will be much lower next election.

And to be clear .. He didn't choose to rob tourists for any racial reasons. He just assumed they wouldn't be able to remember and identify the hieroglyphics, that pass as letters here, on his license plate.

In all seriousness, I bet the farang pulled out his wad of cash when paying giving this little fella the idea to rob him unless it was just dumb luck this crazed driver chose a guy carrying 30k+ in cash.

Edited by Nisa

What happened to "The incompetent corrupt Somchai police monkeys who will never do their job and are all hopelessly anti Farang"? (description borrowed from another thread.)

Crime, clue, investigation, arrest. ABC policework.

• Like 1

Did anyone else find it strange that the Bangladeshis are carrying around $1000 USD in their pocket?

Not sure I understand what you are asking. that someone from Bangladesh has that much money or, the fact he is holding USD. If he memorized the license plate, he obviously has been in Thailand long enough to read the language so it can be assumed that he has some sort of business here. The fact that it's USD would make sense as USD is hard currency, unlike Bangladesh taka. 15 years ago, it was difficult for Koreans to exchange Korean won into baht so Koreans exchanged for USD before taking a holiday to Thailand. I have seen Russians at exchange booths also exchanging USD for THB. Russian rubles are not hard currency either.

• Like 1

Obviously his house was one of those that got inundated so now he has to buy a new bed (and plenty other things).

The government didn't give him his 2,500 baht, that's why.

But you'll see... He'll vote red in the next elections, that's for sure!

The new wave of Tourist - Indians, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis the lot.... would be an interesting match for Thailands passive corruption at all levels. They have been at this game and have won at all times! The European on the other hand has always fallen prey because of his ethics and human rights. Let the games begin

Edited by alanferdi
  • Like 1

The authorities will likely determin that he's a good man, needs a second chance and that the victims should pay him compensation, as he's a poor Thai and they are rich foreigners.

Well... the police can only respond to the person who speaks Thai, and if the foreigner is raising his voice the sympathy vote of "justice" is attributed to the culprit as the innocent person. Yes many a times has never surprised me.

Did anyone else find it strange that the Bangladeshis are carrying around $1000 USD in their pocket?

Not sure I understand what you are asking. that someone from Bangladesh has that much money or, the fact he is holding USD. If he memorized the license plate, he obviously has been in Thailand long enough to read the language so it can be assumed that he has some sort of business here. The fact that it's USD would make sense as USD is hard currency, unlike Bangladesh taka. 15 years ago, it was difficult for Koreans to exchange Korean won into baht so Koreans exchanged for USD before taking a holiday to Thailand. I have seen Russians at exchange booths also exchanging USD for THB. Russian rubles are not hard currency either.

What is 1000 US and remember India and its surrounding regions are more affluent as you think. Crook or no crook!

Obviously his house was one of those that got inundated so now he has to buy a new bed (and plenty other things).

The government didn't give him his 2,500 baht, that's why.

But you'll see... He'll vote red in the next elections, that's for sure!

The new wave of Tourist - Indians, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis the lot.... would be an interesting match for Thailands passive corruption at all levels. They have been at this game and have won at all times! The European on the other hand has always fallen prey because of his ethics and human rights. Let the games begin

There is corruption all over the world. But, I think the average person does not see it. It's in high levels of government and business in the west and does not involved a hand full of currency but bank vaults full of currency.

• Like 1

There are some very rich Bangladeshi's in Bangkok. I think they own alot of those shonky English teaching school franchises.

Edited by metisdead
Reply edited, make your comments outside the quote tags when making your reply to a post.

What happened to "The incompetent corrupt Somchai police monkeys who will never do their job and are all hopelessly anti Farang"? (description borrowed from another thread.)

good point. I wonder why people that constantly criticize Thailand and the people and the police and the government are even members here. If they dislike it so much, they should just stop coming here (Thailand). Or, move back to their home country if the live here.

Many years ago, I met an older (60's) British gentleman in a expat bar. All these expats were sitting around, drinking and complaining about Thailand and making derogatory comments about the Thai's. I could not help but wonder, if they hated it so much, why do they stay in Thailand. The man I was speaking with told me that many farangs move to Thailand for the girls and the partying. But, have made no effort to understand the Thai people or their culture. Once the reality sets in and the partying and girls are become routine and no longer exciting, they don't like Thailand anymore but, they can't afford to leave. He told me that, if I was considering moving to Thailand, to accept the Thai's and the way they do things. It's not up to them to change to suit my needs but, up to me to just accept their ways because it's their country and culture, not mine.

good advice many years ago.

And having guns in the house is all part of that laid-back attitude?

good point. I wonder why people that constantly criticize Thailand and the people and the police and the government are even members here. If they dislike it so much, they should just stop coming here (Thailand). Or, move back to their home country if the live here.

Many years ago, I met an older (60's) British gentleman in a expat bar. All these expats were sitting around, drinking and complaining about Thailand and making derogatory comments about the Thai's. I could not help but wonder, if they hated it so much, why do they stay in Thailand. The man I was speaking with told me that many farangs move to Thailand for the girls and the partying. But, have made no effort to understand the Thai people or their culture. Once the reality sets in and the partying and girls are become routine and no longer exciting, they don't like Thailand anymore but, they can't afford to leave. He told me that, if I was considering moving to Thailand, to accept the Thai's and the way they do things. It's not up to them to change to suit my needs but, up to me to just accept their ways because it's their country and culture, not mine.

In almost ten years of living here I have only experienced one bad taxi driver, most are friendly and helpful. perhaps if I was a young pretty girl it would be a different story. I guess it pays to be a well built ugly old manbiggrin.png

• Like 1

And having guns in the house is all part of that laid-back attitude?

what do guns in the house have to do with Thai culture? People all over the world have guns in the house.

• Like 1

That husain is one smart guy, I wish I can "memorize" the Thai LP, it's all still alien script to me and I've been here for 4 years (just stating the fact).

Another 4 years and you might of worked out that Thai numberplates use Arabic numerals, that is the same numbers we in the west use and which most of the world understand (just stating the fact).

Being "smart" aren't we? Numbers alone don't make a complete LP, nowhere in the world that I've been to.

• Like 1

Even in New York or Sydney, there are some bad taxi drivers.

Just because there are a few rotten mangoes, there is no need to discard the whole basket.

that's the thing about many of these forums, one incident and many people here paint the entire country with the same brush.

• Like 1