New Regulation

Some advice if you can please.

Today when we were out a plain clothes policeman called and then went to a relation nearby and requested that we supply a photo of us together and a copy of my passport and my wife's ID card. This afternoon a local policeman who was off duty called and requested the same thing which we complied with. So must have been quite important for them to get this information.

We asked him the reason for this and he just said that it is an new instruction from the big Chief in Korat and it only applies to Farang's married to Thais' who live here permanently. If you work overseas and just return for a few months each year then the police do not need this information. I find it strange as the immigration holds all this information.

Has any member had to supply this information and do you know the reason for it? Knowing all government departments, with my tender years of experience, I have never known a request for such information to be for my benefit so I am interested to know what is behind it. Informatively we lead a quiet life, keeps ourselves very much to ourselfs and have never been involved in anything illegal whatsoever, this is for those who feel the need to start asking stupid questions, so you already have the answer!

Edited version as I do not know wherethe &amp etc came from!

Some advice if you can please.

Today when we were out a plain clothes policeman called and then went to a relation nearby and requested that we supply a photo of us together and a copy of my passport and my wifes ID card. This afternoon a local policeman who was off duty called and requested the same thing which we complied with. So must have been quite important for them to get this information.

We asked him the reason for this and he just said that it is an new instruction from the big Chief in Korat and it only applies to Farang married to Thais who live here permanently. If you work overseas and just return for a few months each year then the police do not need this information. I find it strange as the immigration holds all this information.

Has any member had to supply this information and do you know the reason for it? Knowing all government departments, with my tender years of experience, I have never known a request for such information to be for my benefit so I am interested to know what is behind it. Informatively we lead a quiet life, keeps ourselves very much to ourselves and have never been involved in anything illegal whatsoever, this is for those who feel the need to start asking stupid questions, so you already have the answer!

There's been a few reports of this happening in various provinces. I've had the same request which i posted about a couple of years ago. I belong to the second category, offshore worker.

My police BIL assured me there was nothing sinister involved. They'd been instructed to compile details on foreigners living on their patch to help in times of emergency etc.

in NK i know that police...not immigration.....fine foreigners a 2000 bath for move into NK(permanantly)from another province and not reporting to the police station.

the case i am referring to was brought to the attention of the police when a foreigner reported an accident were he was involved in.

but as far as I know.....no random checks yet.

NK=Nongkhai

We never had police stop us on the road, but I do recall many years ago a policeman coming by our place and getting a list of foreigners living there permanently. Dont know that they have done that in a while tho, this was at least 5-6 years ago

Many thanks to all those that have replied. I found all your replies to be very helpful and it would now appear to me that it is not a new regulation but an old one that is "dug up" every now and again. Many thanks to you all. Kind regards, Billmont