Grow Trees To Avoid Future Crises, His Majesty The King Advises

webfact

Every day, someone is encroaching on protected lands; building, cutting the trees, polluting the water, dumping waste, poaching wildlife. Yes we can point our fingers at governments and politicians, but the responsibility lies with all residents of Thailand. It is local residents that are doing the deed. And before anyone makes a disparaging remark about Issan and the PTP, some of the worst offenders are in the south. On Phuket, a stronghold of the Democrats, the rape of the land is terrible with public beaches and their vegetation destroyed by illegal developments. No, its not just the "politicans". Due to the extent of the activity, it's probably some of your relatives, inlaws or business associates profiting.

The Royal Household has vast tracts of the national forests under its care, control and custody. In other countries such as Canada, and the UK it is referred to as "Crown land". If it wasn't for this possession, I fear, all of the land would otherwise be destroyed. Thas just don't seemt o be as attached to their land as other nationalities. Try and encroach on an old growth forest in Canada and there will be a civil insurrection, often with some very staid conservative people participating. Try it in Sweden and the protests will be loud and forceful. Even, in the USA where capitalism is corrupted by greed and avirice, people will speak out and try and protect the land. And yet, in Thailand few people speak up. I don't understand.

They probably fear for their life, its the law of the jungle here make no mistake, and life is very cheap.

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how the Prime Ministers proposals for reforestation were ridiculed by many, here on TV a couple of weeks ago..................

Obviously HM is correct.

What was ridiculed was the time line.

the time line was to plant the trees within three months but as is often the case people half way read it and then posted a bunch of nonsense about the trees being mature in three months....

the time line was to plant the trees within three months but as is often the case people half way read it and then posted a bunch of nonsense about the trees being mature in three months....

Even the planting of trees in 3 months is pretty ridiculous considering it still needed to be decided where to plant the trees, and the saplings needed to be sourced ... and then the trees needed to be planted.

Even the planting of trees in 3 months is pretty ridiculous considering it still needed to be decided where to plant the trees, and the saplings needed to be sourced ... and then the trees needed to be planted.

Never worked for a boss who gave a deadline ??

• Like 1

As I understand it the King has been saying this for over 20 years, and after all he is just stating the obvious. One mature tree transpires as much water as an acre of grassland. Perhaps if Yingluck is now in step with the King something might happen, but I'm not optimistic.

Never worked for a boss who gave a deadline ??

Not one as ridiculous as that.

Asked whether floodways and water-catchment areas had been earmarked, Yingluck said, "Yes, but I will let experts such as Kijja Pholphasi, Peetipong Phuengbun na Ayutthaya and Dr Anond Snidvongs explain that in detail.

Good thinking. Talking is not a Yingluck-administration strong suit.

The planting of trees is ridiculous because as soon as they reach maturity ( and probably well before in fact) some local will come along late at night hack them down and drag them off. Greed and selfishness always wins here

If they paid tree planters like they do back in Canada to re-forest as soon as an area is logged 500 baht per day they could plant a million trees per day I'm sure. Also with the help of the Army etc very "non-rediculous"

In Canada if you are caught logging without permission from Crown land even 1 tree you are gone. They could easily apply that law here and as none of us know what their plan is we cannot/Should not speculate.

Don't diss the government but try supporting them. You always feel better when you say something positive rather then negative.

Its not just the north where forests need to be created. Here in the south (Prachuap) there is hardly any rain anymore. People are cutting every single tree to make charcoal because there is nothing else to do here to make a living. In the future I expect this area will be turned into a desert. So please send some trees here aswell!! ps. it would also be nice and helpful if the illegal wood-trade from Burma would be stopped at the border of Dansinghkon. At this point tropical hardwood and teak are smuggled into the country.

Israel is one of two Countries that achieved a net gain in trees last century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_planting

Whilst this is probably too optimistic in Thailand the government can show some political will in helping arrest deforestation and at least make a start in re-stocking. Such an undertaking has to span several different parliaments so until politicians start thinking in terms of helping their Country instead of themselves nothing will change.

On a personal level I know that any Thai citizen who turns up at a forestry commission office with their Tabien Baan papers is eligible to receive some tree saplings for free if they have any to give, but this of course requires the Thai people as a whole to see the issue as important enough for them to go and get the trees and dig holes themselves to plant them in.

Yep, the environment needs to be respected but your work will be cut out trying to change an entrenched mindset which sees people winding down their car window as they drive along the road and casually throwing a bag of litter into an adjacent rice field, spitting phlegm in the street or mindlessly cutting down trees on the flood plain in order to erect another block of concrete. The only thing a lot of people respect is the king, so hopefully they`ll take on board what he has said.

This is a good idea with no meat on the bones.

The government should start 5 million tree seedlings and give them away in the headwater area, making sale a criminal offense. After that the governmnet should subsidize 70% of the cost of two solar panels per owner occupied household making sale a criminal offense.

Every day, someone is encroaching on protected lands; building, cutting the trees, polluting the water, dumping waste, poaching wildlife. Yes we can point our fingers at governments and politicians, but the responsibility lies with all residents of Thailand. It is local residents that are doing the deed. And before anyone makes a disparaging remark about Issan and the PTP, some of the worst offenders are in the south. On Phuket, a stronghold of the Democrats, the rape of the land is terrible with public beaches and their vegetation destroyed by illegal developments. No, its not just the "politicans". Due to the extent of the activity, it's probably some of your relatives, inlaws or business associates profiting.

The Royal Household has vast tracts of the national forests under its care, control and custody. In other countries such as Canada, and the UK it is referred to as "Crown land". If it wasn't for this possession, I fear, all of the land would otherwise be destroyed. Thas just don't seemt o be as attached to their land as other nationalities. Try and encroach on an old growth forest in Canada and there will be a civil insurrection, often with some very staid conservative people participating. Try it in Sweden and the protests will be loud and forceful. Even, in the USA where capitalism is corrupted by greed and avirice, people will speak out and try and protect the land. And yet, in Thailand few people speak up. I don't understand.

Nice post. Regarding your last sentence, I think on one side, it is due to the combination of money+corruption and the power that comes with it.

There is talk about people, sometimes poor people, encroaching on the national parks, but the biggest problem are the land owners throughout the country who are free to do as they want regarding the development of their land.

Koh Tao is a case study in the making. The landholders can sell and develop their land as they want without any regard to run-off, erosion or any environmental impact at all. As you know, no one will stand up to people with money, because they pull the strings locally (that said, there are some families on KT which have started an environment organization, Save Koh Tao, and are trying to take action).

Another aspect is education and awareness. Some Thais, like my GF and her family, have that, and support a local Wat's campaign to purchase the surrounding forest in order to protect it. But many Thais don't have that awareness.

If you have made a career in tropical arboriculture, you might have some credibility. Otherwise you are speculating.

If you have made a career in tropical arboriculture, you might have some credibility. Otherwise you are speculating.

Actually, it's got nothing to do with the growing of trees.

It's got everything to do with politics (where), logistics (sourcing) and man power (planting).

It's got everything to do with politics (where), logistics (sourcing) and man power (planting).

You are making excuses to justify your speculations; location has nothing to do with politics but appropriateness, you have no idea whether sourcing is a problem, being a Bangkok resident. Perhaps you ought to visit the countryside a bit more to see what is available in the nurseries. I thought that, being an Australian, you might have some idea of how easily and efficiently saplings can be planted. However carry on with your game.

What saplings would be suitable and would be in good supply? Having seen Thais plant rice, mangroves, etc., very quickly and efficiently, the main concern seems to be selecting appropriate species and ensuring adequate supply and distribution :)

You are making excuses to justify your speculations; location has nothing to do with politics but appropriateness, you have no idea whether sourcing is a problem, being a Bangkok resident. Perhaps you ought to visit the countryside a bit more to see what is available in the nurseries. I thought that, being an Australian, you might have some idea of how easily and efficiently saplings can be planted. However carry on with your game.

Edited by Reasonableman

No excuses. Just explaining my post and that it had nothing to do with the growing of anything (except trees once they are planted, of course).

The selection of locations has everything to do with politics (and / or money ... but either way it's politics). Locations aren't going to be chosen, negotiated and approved overnight.

Nurseries don't have millions of plants sitting around hoping that someone is going to buy millions of trees for a one off large scale planting. Even in this climate, it takes a few weeks to get the right saplings to a planting stage. If you're suggesting they do, I would think that they'd be going out of business pretty quick when ever the government isn't planning on a large planting project.

Being an Australian (which is actually quite irrelevant in this case) I am aware that it takes time to plant large areas IF you have the right equipment. I would suggest that Thailand doesn't have enough of the right equipment available for the large scale planting that is needed.

I beg to differ on that point. Thailand has people, picks and shovels, pickups for transportation of people and plants. I really believe much can and should be done if the human resources can be inspired and motivated with strong leadership. :)

You are quite right, there are many challenges, but doing something must be better than doing nothing.

No excuses. Just explaining my post and that it had nothing to do with the growing of anything (except trees once they are planted, of course).

The selection of locations has everything to do with politics (and / or money ... but either way it's politics). Locations aren't going to be chosen, negotiated and approved overnight.

Nurseries don't have millions of plants sitting around hoping that someone is going to buy millions of trees for a one off large scale planting. Even in this climate, it takes a few weeks to get the right saplings to a planting stage. If you're suggesting they do, I would think that they'd be going out of business pretty quick when ever the government isn't planning on a large planting project.

Being an Australian (which is actually quite irrelevant in this case) I am aware that it takes time to plant large areas IF you have the right equipment. I would suggest that Thailand doesn't have enough of the right equipment available for the large scale planting that is needed.

Edited by Reasonableman

I beg to differ on that point. Thailand has people, picks and shovels, pickups for transportation of people and plants. I really believe much can and should be done if the human resources can be inspired and motivated with strong leadership. smile.png

You are quite right, there are many challenges, but doing something must be better than doing nothing.

In no way am I suggesting that they shouldn't do something. I'm just questioning how they will do what they are suggesting in 3 months.

Agreed, that timeframe is probably quite unrealistic. I just wouldn't like the idea to be derailed because of the immediate time constraints. It's well worth starting and it's well worth rolling on, long-term.

I beg to differ on that point. Thailand has people, picks and shovels, pickups for transportation of people and plants. I really believe much can and should be done if the human resources can be inspired and motivated with strong leadership. smile.png

In no way am I suggesting that they shouldn't do something. I'm just questioning how they will do what they are suggesting in 3 months.

• Like 1

I mentioned your being Australian merely because I asumed that you would know that Western Australia's salination problems were also caused by deforestation and the solution proposed was to plant more trees. I know little more than you or reasonableman about which species would be most suitable but, I believe that any tropical deciduous tree will expirate a very large amount of the moisture taken in by its roots. I have observed frequently how easy it is to propagate trees here and indeed how difficult it is to kill them. Equipment is not a problem - anything that will create a furrow will do the job.
  • Like 1

Let's hope our Government does take note and also takes the active lead. The private sector could make a huge contribution, too, and in so doing, help secure their own future.

Agreed, that timeframe is probably quite unrealistic. I just wouldn't like the idea to be derailed because of the immediate time constraints. It's well worth starting and it's well worth rolling on, long-term.

I mentioned your being Australian merely because I asumed that you would know that Western Australia's salination problems were also caused by deforestation and the solution proposed was to plant more trees. I know little more than you or reasonableman about which species would be most suitable but, I believe that any tropical deciduous tree will expirate a very large amount of the moisture taken in by its roots. I have observed frequently how easy it is to propagate trees here and indeed how difficult it is to kill them. Equipment is not a problem - anything that will create a furrow will do the job.

As I said above, I have no problem with them doing it. It is definitely the right thing.

I just doubt very much that it could be done in 3 months. For the amount of planting that they want to do, I doubt that they could plant everything in 3 months, let alone organise it all.

• Like 1

As I said above, I have no problem with them doing it. It is definitely the right thing.

I just doubt very much that it could be done in 3 months. For the amount of planting that they want to do, I doubt that they could plant everything in 3 months, let alone organise it all.

I questioned your post that implied that the deadline was unrealistic on the basis that, without the technical knowledge you were speculating; at least we are now in agreement that you merely doubt that it can be done.

I questioned your post that implied that the deadline was unrealistic on the basis that, without the technical knowledge you were speculating; at least we are now in agreement that you merely doubt that it can be done.

Yes ... I don't believe in miracles.