Concerned About My Bike Passing Inspection - Insight Requested Please

TylerBKK

I have a Honda CBR250R. After I purchased the bike I changed the exhaust to a Two Brothers carbon fiber slip on pipe. Needless to say the bike is quite loud now and much louder than most bikes on the road. I bought it in Chonburi and it was registered in Chonburi as well by the dealer where I bought, but I spend more of my time in Bangkok these days.

The other night someone decided to help themselves to my annual tax certificate emblem while my bike was parked outside in Bangkok. They smashed the waterproof plastic tube it was mounted in and left me just part of the metal frame from the plastic mount.

Anyway, I went down to the department of land transport opposite from Chatuchak to see about getting a tax emblem replacement. They told me since the bike is registered in Chonburi that I could only get the tax emblem replaced down there as well. So I inquired about moving the registration to Bangkok instead. They said no problem. That I will have to wait 3 days, but that they will give me a new license plate for Bangkok and a new tax emblem if I move the registration to Bangkok. All together a total cost of less than 300 Baht for the transfer, new license plate, and tax emblem. Good deal. And saves me a trip back down to Chonburi.

So I paid the money, they made some changes in my green book, and told me to return on Tuesday to pick up my new plate and tax certificate. Brilliant. Then as I was walking out the door the attendant told me to make sure I bring my bike in on Tuesday as well for a quick inspection.

Now that's the concern. I am wondering with my loud pipe if I have any chance at all of passing inspection. My gut tells me I won't pass.

Had I known an inspection would be required to move the registration I would have not opted for transferring the registration to Bangkok. Sadly he forgot to mention that little step until I already signed all the papers to transfer the registration.

Meanwhile, I am wondering what to do here now. I am thinking about just going back down there on Monday and telling them that I decided I don't want to transfer the registration to Bangkok and that I would like to cancel the process.

The problem is they have already made what looks like the transfer changes inside my green book and I am not sure if they would be able to just cancel it.

So, I am trying to decide what to do here. Should I take my chances with the inspection knowing the pipe could be a big problem? Or should I just not even go that route at all and see if I can cancel the registration transfer instead and then simply get a new tax emblem the next time I am back down in Chonburi?

What I am worried about is that if I do attempt the inspection, and then the bike doesn't pass, that I could really get screwed by ending up with not having any valid registration at all.

Any insight and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Thanks. I did consider that, but it would be a lot of work as I also reset the ECU and everything to match the new exhaust. So it would mean changing the exhaust twice and then resetting the ECU again. I was hoping for an easier solution, but many thanks for the thought.

Your worrying about nothing. As sub said they will just check the numbers.

Funny thing. In Land Transport Pattaya a couple of weeks ago and a Harley came in to the pit area after me. Exhaust so loud I had to plug my ears until it stopped. No-one from LT blinked an eye!

I think that during the inspection, they don't actually run the bike. They just check the numbers on the engine and frame. From when my bike was inspected, that's what I remember.

thats right, however at my inspection at skuhumvit DLT the inspector insited to start the bike -> he wants to hear the sound; after i did so he smiled and said nice sound clap2.gif (ER w open Akrapovic)

LOL. Sounds like loud pipe regulations are enforced in the same way helmet laws are. Very strict if there's a chance to write a ticket - and no one cares any other time :)

I don't think I'll ever really get used to passing police without helmet on - they just smile and wave as its not a helmet stop, everything ok :) ... or passing a police car on the highway at 140.... no problem, not a speed trap.

I changed a bike from chiang Mai plates to BKK plates at BKK dlt. A gsxr600 with aftermarket GPR exhaust. I just rode it up on idle and switched it off while they checked the frame numbers. They weren't interested in the noise at all. I think it will be fine.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. It sounds like I should be OK so I will go there on Tuesday and take my chances with the inspeciton and see what happens. I will post the outcome afterwards as well.

I was always told that bikes less than 2 years old don't require an inspection. Maybe something changed...

The inspection is for changing the plate, by the Land Transport Department itself, they just check all the engine and frame numbers. When you just renew the tax you can get it done at any garage and they are checking the mechanical condition, that is only for bikes older than 3 years.

The OP is worrying way too much. You don't need to change over your exhaust, they wont care. If you did you wouldn't need to re-flash your ECU when you are just putting the exhaust on for a day or so. Also, you can renew the tax in any province (perhaps not replace a lost tax disk though), so you could have just waited till the tax ran out and got a new one in BKK, without doing anything at all.

Maybe I shouldn't post this here...but hey why not.

I have a Wave 100S purchased in Nov 2007. Still have this scooter.

I had (sold it last March) a CBR 150 purchased in Dec 2006.

Registered each bike religiously every year, bought the 3rd party insurance, etc.

Did it at the One Stop DLT in the Nong Hai district office in CM.

I've played dumb....and have never been asked to do a bike inspection or provide a bike inspection certificate, on either bike. The Wave has 5 re-registrations now without any vehicle inspection whatsoever. The CBR 150 was re-registered 5 times as well, before I sold it.

Is it perhaps because both bikes were purchased brand new from a Honda dealer, and do not have multiple owners in the green book?

I don't know if this is the reason, or it is just an oversight on the part of the officials processing my multiple re-registrations.

Curious to know the answer.

Maybe I shouldn't post this here...but hey why not.

I have a Wave 100S purchased in Nov 2007. Still have this scooter.

I had (sold it last March) a CBR 150 purchased in Dec 2006.

Registered each bike religiously every year, bought the 3rd party insurance, etc.

Did it at the One Stop DLT in the Nong Hai district office in CM.

I've played dumb....and have never been asked to do a bike inspection or provide a bike inspection certificate, on either bike. The Wave has 5 re-registrations now without any vehicle inspection whatsoever. The CBR 150 was re-registered 5 times as well, before I sold it.

Is it perhaps because both bikes were purchased brand new from a Honda dealer, and do not have multiple owners in the green book?

I don't know if this is the reason, or it is just an oversight on the part of the officials processing my multiple re-registrations.

Curious to know the answer.

i picked up a tax for what will be year 3 of a er6 and there was no mention of inspecting the bike ,maybe they dont bother uness the bikes are very old

They might be doing no inspections for 5 years on bikes. I thought it was supposed to be 3 on bikes but maybe they doing 5, like with cars. So on your 6th renewal they should ask for the Tor Ror Or (ตรอ), which is the inspection certificate. Any garage with the below symbol outside can make one.

logo%20%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD-250x250.jpg

Edited by madjbs

If you lose your green book or tax registration they will check the frame and engine numbers together with the registered colour before they issue a new one.No big deal and no need to worry about sound test.

Actually at the test they do once your bike reaches the age of 5 year,they test the brake,emmision,lights and many more things..................at least that is what they are supposed to do,and what is written on the test result, but I have never senn them going any futher than checking the frame and engine numbers.

Just checked, its after 5 years for bikes and 7 years for cars, and has to be done at a garage, not the land transport department (although normally there are lots nearby)

The inspection the OP mentions is different as it's done by the land transport department themselves just to check the numbers of the bike when you loose something or transfer the province etc.. whatever the age of the vehicle.

Edited by madjbs

s it perhaps because both bikes were purchased brand new from a Honda dealer, and do not have multiple owners in the green book?

Inspection on bikes over 5 years old, they won't give you a new tax disk without it.

They don't care about anything except the frame numbers, never seen any vehicle fail the inspection.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. It sounds like I should be OK so I will go there on Tuesday and take my chances with the inspeciton and see what happens. I will post the outcome afterwards as well.

I was always told that bikes less than 2 years old don't require an inspection. Maybe something changed...

I think they want to have a look if you change something. When I changed the color of my ER from black to red (to make it go faster), I went in to register the color change in the green book. Lo and behold, they told me to bring the bike around for an inspection. The carefully checked all the numbers and everything was going fine, then the the guy noticed the air horn. He said it was illegal, and I assured him I would go right home and change it (which, fo course, I did not). He waived me on.

So on the pipes, it probably depends on the guy doing the inspection. If he does say something, just promise him you'll go right home and change the pipe. If he forces you to show him, put the old pipe back on, leaving your fuel mapping as it is, then switch the pipes back when done. No worry.

Edited by TongueThaied

I think they want to have a look if you change something. When I changed the color of my ER from black to red (to make it go faster), I went in to register the color change in the green book. Lo and behold, they told me to bring the bike around for an inspection. The carefully checked all the numbers and everything was going fine, then the the guy noticed the air horn. He said it was illegal, and I assured him I would go right home and change it (which, fo course, I did not). He waived me on.

So on the pipes, it probably depends on the guy doing the inspection. If he does say something, just promise him you'll go right home and change the pipe. If he forces you to show him, put the old pipe back on, leaving your fuel mapping as it is, then switch the pipes back when done. No worry.

what did you gain from modifying an air horn to the bike ?

Won't have any drama at all. All my bikes have full tuned length pipes with yoshis as mufflers and have never had any drama. Most the time they don't even start the bike. And unless your talking about a full reflash of the ECU your computer dosent learn so resetting it for any changes is totally pointless :)

Every time I get a new tax sticker I scan it into my computer and print a copy which I then stick onto my bike.

The original stays with the green book at home and I also scan the green book and put a photo copy in the top box.

If either the scan tax or green book fade I just print another un update it every year.

Smart advice, billd766.

I do much the same with my Thai drivers licenses (auto and motorsai)- I only carry a laminated color copy.

The original stays locked up in my home safe, in case my wallet is lost or stolen.

I learned the hard way on this; had a pouch with mobile and wallet stolen out of my shopping cart in Tesco once.

I had an Inspection on an old (1993) Honda 400 CBR Fireblade with a really loud Exhaust, my Thai Mechanic made the trip to the authorities for me.

He said nothing from any question or problem.

I always let some Thai mechanic renew my Insurance and Tax sticker for me.

So, the OP should have waited until a new sticker was necessary and do nothing until than.

Maybe pay a fine once, if unlucky.cowboy.gif

Every time I get a new tax sticker I scan it into my computer and print a copy which I then stick onto my bike.

The original stays with the green book at home and I also scan the green book and put a photo copy in the top box.

If either the scan tax or green book fade I just print another un update it every year.

Yes, good advice. I thought about doing the same when I get the new tax emblem. Heading down to DLT shortly.

Everyone was right. I was concerned about nothing. It was a complete nonevent. It took all of 2 minutes. He simple checked the 2 serial numbers on the frame of the bike. No engine start and nothing besides serial numbers was checked. Thanks again everyone for the good guidance.

• Like 1