Concerned About My Bike Passing Inspection - Insight Requested Please

TylerBKK

Yeah, you do kind of wonder about that, but it could even just be jealous teenagers doing it to piss you off and make some extra work for you. Mine will always be stored under my seat from now on though. I only need to be taught that lesson once.

Why would people steal a tax 'disc' anyway???

Mine went missing too, i just presumed it got knocked off in a carpark or something.

mine got stolen from a cbr 250 as well + they also stole the number plate

i went to the copshop to report it and the cops didnt seem too surprised so

maybe theyre being stolen for grey imports or even stolen bikes

Mine went missing too, i just presumed it got knocked off in a carpark or something.

If you watch the Thai news there are often reports of thieves using stolen plates on their getaway bike. So, if your plate does go missing it's best to report it to the police right away lest they come knocking on your door should the plate end up being used in a robbery!

If you watch the Thai news there are often reports of thieves using stolen plates on their getaway bike. So, if your plate does go missing it's best to report it to the police right away lest they come knocking on your door should the plate end up being used in a robbery!

Yes, but why the tax? Mine was a CBR too, is there a market for stolen CBR tax 'discs'?

Yes, but why the tax? Mine was a CBR too, is there a market for stolen CBR tax 'discs'?

they thieved my tax ,plate and even took the number plate holder and the screws and bolts as well !

actualy you can ride through any checkpoint if you have a plate and tax

if your bike appears unregistered it may be singled out for closer examination which thieves probably dont want

its a pain in the bals having to get new ones ,the er6 and cb400 and a ducatti 696 were sitting beside the cbr 250 when the plate got stolen and

none of the other bikes were touched bar the cbr 250

nothing weirder than life itself :)

A friend in Pattaya also had his number plate recently stolen from his Kawasaki ER6. Not sure if they took his tax emblem too or if he even had it on the bike at the time. The dealer gave him a red temp plate to put back on the bike. I think he had to get a police report and the dealer is in the process of arranging a new one for him now. I got the impression it could be a month or two before he gets his new one. Why it takes so long I don't know. When I transferred my registration the other day I handed them my old Chonburi plate and they handed me my new Bangkok plate and tax emblem. The tax emblem is now under the seat and if I ever get pulled I'll just explain that it got stolen before and I'm no longer willing to display it.

The tax emblem is now under the seat and if I ever get pulled I'll just explain that it got stolen before and I'm no longer willing to display it.

Wow, police officers will like your story and be really impressed by it smile.png

Why not make a color copy of the sticker and fix it on your bike so police can see it. Then if they want to see the original you can tell your story. But up to you.

Could do that. Might do that. Already scanned and printed a copy the day I got the new emblem thinking I would do that. So far I haven't bothered though and probably won't at this point. Thanks for your obvious concern though.

The tax emblem is now under the seat and if I ever get pulled I'll just explain that it got stolen before and I'm no longer willing to display it.

Wow, police officers will like your story and be really impressed by it smile.png

Why not make a color copy of the sticker and fix it on your bike so police can see it. Then if they want to see the original you can tell your story. But up to you.

That's what I do. Once it's behind the scratched disk holder with a bit of dust on it then it looks the same as the original. The cops only glance at it to check the date anyway. Never inspect it too closely.

That's what I do. Once it's behind the scratched disk holder with a bit of dust on it then it looks the same as the original. The cops only glance at it to check the date anyway. Never inspect it too closely.

thats probably what the thieves are counting on also :D

I've been stopped by the BIB many times in Bkk and on those times i never displayed my tax. Not once did they even ask to see it. As long as i had my license they just told me to carry on.

I agree. I drive through those late night police road blocks all the time at on weekends. Most motorcycles see one up ahead and do a U-Turn. I just drive through them. Never give it a second thought. Mainly they are looking for people driving cars who appear to be driving drunk, etc. I think if you U-Turn it makes you suspect. I've gone through at least 5 of them in the last 2 months. They never even give me a second look, let alone look to see if I have a tax emblem on the back of my bike. Also talked with other friends who have bigger bikes. None of them display their tax disks either. I think as long as you can show them one if questioned that will be good enough. I can't see it turning into a big problem even if it was being kept under the seat. And being hassled a for a moment is still better than putting it back out there for the thieves to steal again. Even a copy. Wouldn't want a copy of my tax disc being stolen from my bike and put on another bike that might be used to commit a crime.

keeping the driving licence in a safe and just carying a photocopy of it sounds great but i dont know if that would pass in my area

in bangkok ,original licence is held to ransom if you may be riding too fast ,taking an illegal short cut etc etc

then you have to call in to the station with 400 thb or whatever to get your licence back

not sure what they would do if you could only give them a paper copy ,worth a try though :D

The police might think your sticker is fake? They also probably wont like your efficiency and insist on an original sticker being displayed?

For the original OP i should try and wing it. However the gf moved her bike to Khon Khean but they did not like her noisy exhaust so we had to put the original back on. Bangkok beaucrats have a reputation for doing things by the book while country ones tend to be less strict, apart from Khon Khean!

Edited by MaiChai

Thanks. I did consider that, but it would be a lot of work as I also reset the ECU and everything to match the new exhaust. So it would mean changing the exhaust twice and then resetting the ECU again. I was hoping for an easier solution, but many thanks for the thought.

How did you change the ECU?

Every bike is different in terms of resetting the ECU. I didn't change it, just reset it after I changed the exhaust to force it to relearn and adjust to a new level of exhaust output. If you have a CBR250R there is a video on YouTube on how to do it. I followed the video and it was a bit of a hassle getting to the 3 connections that had to be reset. But it worked. The video leaves out an important part on how to access one of the connections. If you have a CBR250R and have also changed your exhaust I can write out a clear tutorial if you want.

Changing the ECU is another issue to remap the engine timing, etc.

Only would get benefit from that if you have rebuilt the engine.

Cost of an after market ECU with new maps costs about 8,000 Baht and is an add on chip component.

I haven't bothered doing it on my bike since my bike is all stock except for the pipe change.

You can also add components to remap your fuel, but again unless you have really modified the engine you won't see much increase in performance and it would cut your gas mileage in half. Bazzaz makes a fuel remap chip for the CBR250R.

Every bike is different in terms of resetting the ECU. I didn't change it, just reset it after I changed the exhaust to force it to relearn and adjust to a new level of exhaust output. If you have a CBR250R there is a video on YouTube on how to do it. I followed the video and it was a bit of a hassle getting to the 3 connections that had to be reset. But it worked. The video leaves out an important part on how to access one of the connections. If you have a CBR250R and have also changed your exhaust I can write out a clear tutorial if you want.

Changing the ECU is another issue to remap the engine timing, etc.

Only would get benefit from that if you have rebuilt the engine.

Cost of an after market ECU with new maps costs about 8,000 Baht and is an add on chip component.

I haven't bothered doing it on my bike since my bike is all stock except for the pipe change.

You can also add components to remap your fuel, but again unless you have really modified the engine you won't see much increase in performance and it would cut your gas mileage in half. Bazzaz makes a fuel remap chip for the CBR250R.

That's very interesting stuff.

What did the 3 part video leave out?

Did you notice a decrease in power, I'm thinking because of less back pressure?

Did you notice an increase in fuel consumption?

It left out the part about how to get to the taillight wiring bundle which requires removing some plastic rivets and housing up in the back wheel well.

I noticed an increase in power for sure and a slight increase in fuel consumption. But the fuel consumption might be to do also with the fact I have been doing more city driving as of late as well as quicker starts and harder acceleration than before.