Red Shirts Stage Anti-Coup Rally In Khao Yai

Lite Beer

[The last election totally validated their reasons for protesting. They knew they were the electoral majority being deprived of governance by an electoral minority.]

The last election validated that the MAJORITY of the Thai people did NOT vote RED SHIRT.

The numbers I've seen say that about 17% of the Thai population identifies as being Red Shirt.

Which was amply on display in Khao Yai yesterday.

A friend and I estimated the crowd at about 300,000, as we were checking out its more "attractive features"

I am told that officially, it was estimated at closer to 500,000.

So what is 200,000 more or less.

Thanks for highlighting how you are handling facts and numbers. A quote to keep for the future.

200,000 more or less is 20 times one (police) estimate of the crowd.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, not good enough. We already have the "official" count from the Calgaryll Oracle. 500,000 give or take 200,000. Another Ripley's Moment. ;-)

Anyway, as you say, what's a mere 200,000 margin for error? Only 40% of a fictitious number. Using that logic, a range of zero to 200,000 would also be an acceptable approximation. 10-30,000 fits in that range, doesn't it.

the bkk post and nation quote 30,000 and 50,000 - ok, even if a 0 is missing, the percentage spread between the 2 is the same as CalgaryII's. wink.png

Just a bit more seriously, we all know that the UDD numbers are more likely to be underestimated than overestimated by the conservative press, if not by CalgaryII.

It's just a guess, but if the Nation/post give a high number of 50,000, then it is probably at least that. Maybe even 2x and you could still be in the ballpark.

Let's see what comes from VoiceTV, shall we?

cool.png

LOL What are numbers for if they cannot be multiplied?

Just looked up where Khao Yai is, Thank Buddha I did not move the Cha-am as I thought about doing. I would be drowning in the red tide of confusion.

Edited by blows

An Oppositional parroting comment, from someone never near Red Shirts to know the facts.

But is it innocent or agenized anti-Red Shirt stuff.

That I can only speculate about.

"someone never near Red-Shirts"

Since the Red-Shirts are supposed to be the vast majority of all Thais, according to the rantings of some deluded propagandists, how would it be possible to live here without being in constant-contact with them, I wonder ?

I myself live in a small village in the North-West, which area votes about 60% TRT/PPP/PTP, yet I only occasionally meet the odd Red-Shirt (some odd, some drunk, but let's not discuss that here), where must the rest have gone ?

Who I do meet regularly, are people who've voted for the local-hero over the past decade, and seen a few minor improvements in life, which I suspect would mostly have happened anyway as the country develops & the economy grows at several-percent per-annum.

They're beginning to wonder why they're not 'all rich after 6 months', and what happened to their 300B/day minimum-wages and their kids' laptops. Perhaps they may have been at the music-festival this week-end, but I doubt it, as they were also very busy singing drunkenly at the village-karaoke, maybe that's why the biggest Red-Shirt rally in months is reported as having had such a low turn-out ?

Or perhaps the evil-coupists had set up secret roadblocks, to keep them away, now that would be a fine line to spin, to explain how Absent-Leader's foes are suppressing the proletariat ! laugh.png

• Like 1

Is any other media (besides the Opposition controlled English papers) reporting any numbers? Or maybe ALL the Thai media is controlled by the Oppositional coup-ists.

9,370 Posts Whybother.

I will let the boys back home know.

No amount of trying to diminish numbers by those disengaged, has any credibility.

I was there.

Nuff said.

Another trick used by the anti-Red Shirt media, aside from the one I referenced about ostensibly being there at the beginning, is to quote some obscure policeman.

Gives this media ethical cover for misleadingly report 30,000 attendees, as they are seeing 300,000.

I mean that is what the policeman said, right!

Anyway, enuf prognostications about this from disengaged, inconsequential Farangs.

The enormity of this rally will be shoved in the face of those who try to dismiss the Red Shirts as a political force of consequence, both in the PTP as well as plotting coupists.

Mission accomplished.

End-of-story.

Edited by CalgaryII
  • Like 1

Is any other media (besides the Opposition controlled English papers) reporting any numbers? Or maybe ALL the Thai media is controlled by the Oppositional coup-ists.

9,370 Posts Whybother.

I will let the boys back home know.

No amount of trying to diminish numbers by those disengaged, has any credibility.

I was there.

Nuff said.

I don't believe your estimates, particularly because you WERE there.

Surely you can find some anti-coupist (ie red) controlled media to support your estimates?

No amount of trying to expand numbers by those brain washed has any credibility.

As with many of these Posts, one can readily see how important it is for coupists to diminish these numbers.

It is embarassing for them.

No, we're just aware of the long history of pro-Red posters & speakers, of wildly-exaggerating the numbers attending their rallies.

The 'Million Man Rally' was a particular favourite ! laugh.png

• Like 1

As with many of these Posts, one can readily see how important it is for coupists to diminish these numbers.

No, we're just aware of the long history of pro-Red posters & speakers, of wildly-exaggerating the numbers attending their rallies.

The 10%'ers. Based on that Calgary's estimates are correct. The actual numbers are 10% of that.

• Like 1

You Posters sound more desparate by the minute.

Armchair, disengaged Farangs prognosticating on an event they have no knowledge of, other than how that event's enemies characterize it for them.

What was that I said about parroting.

And yet you still can't find any red shirt media to back up your numbers.

• Like 1

The 10%'ers. Based on that Calgary's estimates are correct. The actual numbers are 10% of that.

You are digging your hole even deeper SD.

You must have read somewhere, that it is CalgaryII's opinion that to be accurate, multiply media estimates of Red Shirt event attendees by 4 -5 times.

I wonder where.....actually I dont.

SD?

Goodness, so much red shirt propaganda.

Frank Horrigan: "How much more of this sheet do I have to listen to? Jesus!"

"In the Line of Fire" (1993)

An admission of "dont confuse me with facts"

CalgaryII = Red propaganda

Blow's = unvarnished truth.

Got it!

Edited by CalgaryII

myself staying in Pra Nakorn-close by to the Democracy Monument- this is NOT true. There have been at least 4 red-shirt demonstrations-be it on a minor scale, always on Sundays eve, around there since 1/1/12. None of them has made the news. This lady with her hi-so voice was also there once or twice and delivered the speech. Often concluded by singing (well-try to) of the International Communist song.

Always a set-up of stands selling red merchandise- mostly the calenders for 2555 in red and the T-shirts for lady Luck- teling us ; She is RICH she is BEAUTIFUL -she is OUR MAN -all in Thai of course. Though i have never ever seen someone actually wearing those- might have been the case in Khao Yai (sponsored by one of the owners there-probably not chased away due to land illegal encroachment?-or hoping to suss the current govmt this way by leaving his illegal buildings safe?

You Posters sound more desparate by the minute.

Armchair, disengaged Farangs prognosticating on an event they have no knowledge of, other than how that event's enemies characterize it for them.

What was that I said about parroting.

Rather, it is those who stoop to deliberate deceit, and refuse to answer even the simplest question, who are desperate parrots.

• Like 2

You are digging your hole even deeper SD.

<snip>

SD?

Ahh ... I get it now. You're accusing me of being someone else. You must be a mate of Siam Simon. Next you'll accuse me of being Thai, among other things.

Me thinks he protest too much.

Being exposed is no fun, but we gotcha!

Who is we? You and the people with whom you regularly "make inquiries"?

SD?

Ahh ... I get it now. You're accusing me of being someone else. You must be a mate of Siam Simon. Next you'll accuse me of being Thai, among other things.

Me thinks he protest too much.

Being exposed is no fun, but we gotcha!

Who is we? You and the people with whom you regularly "make inquiries"?

The voices in his head.

I heard that the Red-Shirts held a rally, with 100,000 people attending, in a telephone-booth recently. So that Thaksin could phone-in.

But no-doubt the numbers were grossly/maliciously under-reported, by the coupist-media. laugh.png

Until I see a different number reported, by a reputable source, I will continue to doubt some of the wilder estimates of the number of supporters at the Khao Yai music-festival. cool.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

I heard that the Red-Shirts held a rally, with 100,000 people attending, in a telephone-booth recently. So that Thaksin could phone-in.

But no-doubt the numbers were grossly/maliciously under-reported, by the coupist-media. laugh.png

Until I see a different number reported, by a reputable source, I will continue to doubt some of the wilder estimates of the number of supporters at the Khao Yai music-festival. cool.png

The Bangkok Post quoted 'more than 50,000' yesterday which technically encompass Calgary's figurehuh.png

The Bangkok Post quoted 'more than 50,000' yesterday which technically encompass Calgary's figurehuh.png

Actually, this would be just as accurate as saying there were more than five - same, same.

But I fully understand why 300,000 is uncomfortable for many, and they need to raise smoke to obscure it.

But the key constituants will have the info correctly accepted, Those being Politicians in the PTP who are now on notice that the Red Shirts are as vital as ever. Any discounting by them will not stand.

Another constituancy are the coupists. They also received a message.

I wonder why political organizations and parties in Thailand cannot figure out how much leadership contests and conventions would help them.

The first one to figure that out will be a significant boost for them.

Imagine if the Democrats had one, allowing people to promote themselves, who are not aloof elitists like Abhi with R'song murder baggage, The publicity they would receive through such a process would go a long way to making the Party more competitive.

The Red Shirts also screwed up recently, when they had a golden opportunity.

Thida was confirmed as leader.

But imagine if she had won that leadership in open competition with others. How powerful she would be now, with that massive rally of Saturday as her back-up.

Being able to generate a 300,000+ rally is easily a demonstration of the most powerful, single political block in the country. An elected leader of such a thing would be politically empowered even more than she is already.

Edited by CalgaryII

He's back.

Even inflated numbers means nothing in a population of 70 million.

Stuff as many red shirt clowns as you want into your clown car, it doesn't matter. Communism is a dead horse.

Dismissing this political block is done at the Opposition's peril.

That is why they are sitting on the political, electoral sidelines where they belong.

Until an inclusive mentality takes over by all political sectors, only elections will keep order, relegating the minority, and elevating the majority into governance.

Not complicated.