What Is Your Favourite Country And Why?

invogue

What is your favourite country and why? I am originally from Australia and have lived in 5 other countries and visited several more.

Thailand is my favourite country in the world. I am interested in other members favourite countries (they have lived in, not visited) and why.

I love Thailand for:

• Motorbike taxis- easy and quick mode of transport and riding fast with no helmet
  • The creative individuals I worked with
  • The warm weather and wearing a summer dress every night
  • The friendly people, lack of aggression and trusting nature
  • How people wai
  • Buddhism and the respect for Buddha
  • Open approach to sexuality
  • The adoration for white skin (rather than tanning as practiced in the West)
  • Thai ladyboys
  • High number and low price of massage parlours
  • Klong Toey market which is open for fruit and veg 24 hours
  • For some unknown reason Thai people seem to find me more attractive then other countries I’ve lived in. Reason unknown.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, again.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy.

Art

History

Culture

Language and Literature

Weather

Variety of everything

Life style

Quality of goods and services

Fantastic food

The best wine on the planet

Equitable rights under the treaty of Rome

Arguably the best looking people on the planet

The 'Flair' and creativity of Italian culture.

Edit to add.

Presence of a lively political and intellectual discourse

Family and particularly children friendliness

Warm and welcoming culture

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

Iceland -- because they had the backbone to stand up to the banksters in their country, unlike Greece.

Oh, and I like Thailand too.

Thai food

Beautiful women

Reasonably inexpensive

Beautiful women

Buddhist culture

Beautiful women

cowboy.gif

Turkey/Istambul but I spent most of my time in Bursa...the old Ottoman capital before the conquest of Constantinople and right up against the big mountain Uludag...fascinating place with good eats and I liked to spend time at the many local bira salonu...with 300 year old hamams bath houses next door...ancient...

if I had the money and the will I'd stay in Beyoglu in Istambul overlooking the bosphorus and adopt a rumpled suit and a perpetual cigarette and a little moustache and discuss east-west literature with Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk...

otherwise HCMC or Hanoi might be acceptable on permanent basis...the food is better in Istambul...

'hey! ain't yew tutsiwarrior from Thailand?'...'yeah, that's me and what's it to ye?...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

San Francisco is not a place where anyone stays...they reside for awhile and then dream about it later on...a magical place...I hated moving back to Oakland when the landlord jacked up my rent in 1973...$110 for a one bed inner Mission flat increased to $150 per month; a monster! I had no TV just a radio in my bay window with a rocking chair listening to the three classic channels and KPFA in Berkeley...

the chinese manager looked at my rocking chair and said: 'you paid $10 for that?'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

As a blanket statement it would have to be Thailand as I could live anywhere but choose to live here. However....

Best beer: NZ

Most open an honest people: Melb. Aus.

Best looking ladies: Germany, NZ, Iceland.

Best ladies in bed: Spain, Poland.

Best food: Thailand no question.

Best place to earn money: London UK

• Like 1

San Francisco is not a place where anyone stays...they reside for awhile and then dream about it later on...a magical place...I hated moving back to Oakland when the landlord jacked up my rent in 1973...$110 for a one bed inner Mission flat increased to $150 per month; a monster! I had no TV just a radio in my bay window with a rocking chair listening to the three classic channels and KPFA in Berkeley...

the chinese manager looked at my rocking chair and said: 'you paid $10 for that?'

I bought the rocker from a junk shop near 16th and Mission...then, on the corner there was a greasy spoon restaurant and the mexican woman there chased a sneaky negro out of her premises with a cleaver an then sidled up and said: 'yer cute, what are you having?'...it was a madhouse and people were watching tennis on the box...

Scotland

Would have said Thailand up until about 3 or 4 yrs ago, but have reverted back to my country of origin as my circumstances have changed.

As place to live for a single, relatively young, relatively affluent man and a latterly the male half of a young childless couple Thailand took some beating - warm, varied, easy to live in, (was) cheap and fun.

Now I'm a married father of two, ive changed And so has thailand and i view it much differently and frankly I'm concerned now at the thought of my boys growing up here.

Edited by GooEng

Ireland :

friendly people

proper guinness

green for as far as the eye can see

peaceful (now)

beautiful beaches

red haired,green eyed gorgeous women,

ice cold guinness

powers whisky

a hot whiskey with cloves and lemon on a brisk evening

poetry

literature

did i mention guinness

the craic

beautiful traditional singing and music in the bars

St. Patricks Day

guinness

fantastic place....................... I miss it.

It's not a real country (yet) but I answer Europe.

From north to south, so much diversity in scenery, weather, culture, history, food ... You can enjoy a beer in Ireland, ski in the Alpes and enjoy the sun set in a greek island ... can't beat that !

hi. you ever been to Ireland

fantastic food

Not to be argumentative, but food? After bacon, coddle (OK that has bacon), butter, and some seafood, I don't find Irish food to be that amazing.

I love Ireland (and me Irish roots), but I don't put Irish food at the top of the list.

fantastic food

Not to be argumentative, but food? After bacon, coddle (OK that has bacon), butter, and some seafood, I don't find Irish food to be that amazing.

I love Ireland (and me Irish roots), but I don't put Irish food at the top of the list.

Will agree with that. I mean, when is the last time you were anywhere, and anyone said "Hey, lets go get some Irish food"?

Answer: Never.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

fantastic food

Will agree with that. I mean, when is the last time you were anywhere, and anyone said "Hey, lets go get some Irish food"?

what's all this? a large plate of bacon and cabbage would go down a treat right now...and me irish MiL's lamb stew with fresh soda bread was always tip top...she always made sure that me and her husband got some food in our bellies before we hit the bars on the Shettleston Road in east Glasgow...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Cliche, I know, but it has to be Thailand. Ive never been anywhere that felt so much like home so quickly.

It's where I want to die. 'Nuff said.

That could be arranged!

Canada would be high my list. BC or Alberta. Great summers and fantastic winter sports.

But Thailand is right up there too for other reasons, climate, food, most of the people and cheap to live here.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

fantastic food

I have, lots of times.

I'm assuming that by Irish food you mean Guinness.

• Like 1