What Is Your Favourite Country And Why?

invogue

Is there any place in Asia where you more clearly will never be accepted than Japan? Where you will be blocked from patronizing a large number of bars, saunas, and hotels, and where you will always be seen as an outsider?

Korea....

Yes, possibly. Agree with that. Though some have listed Korea among their favorites, too.

North or south?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really surprised by people’s answers and it wasn’t what I expected to hear.

I’m curious to know what other members think of Thailand surrounding countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam etc?

I am originally from Australia and find the country deadly boring that every day that ticks by there I consider another wasted day of my life. Same said about Singapore where I lived for way too long.

Hong Kong and China were pretty cool which I liked because the culture was very foreign and I was always discovering new ways of doing things.

I lived in the USA last year and don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to love but I’ve never met so many swindlers, scammers and cheap skates in my life.

I lived in Bangladesh and have never felt more in danger in my life- but I am a young, attractive white female.

We can all say that, on the internet...

I don't understand your meaning. Please clarify?

It means he is in doubt of what you wrote. I could post that I am a handsome young man, but unfortunately, too many here have seen what I really am... a wrinkly old fart with an evil lear on my face.

Is there any place in Asia where you more clearly will never be accepted than Japan? Where you will be blocked from patronizing a large number of bars, saunas, and hotels, and where you will always be seen as an outsider?

Korea....

Yes, possibly. Agree with that. Though some have listed Korea among their favorites, too.

North or south?

Both have the same view of foreigners in general.

I am really surprised by people’s answers and it wasn’t what I expected to hear.

I’m curious to know what other members think of Thailand surrounding countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam etc?

I am originally from Australia and find the country deadly boring that every day that ticks by there I consider another wasted day of my life. Same said about Singapore where I lived for way too long.

Hong Kong and China were pretty cool which I liked because the culture was very foreign and I was always discovering new ways of doing things.

I lived in the USA last year and don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to love but I’ve never met so many swindlers, scammers and cheap skates in my life.

I lived in Bangladesh and have never felt more in danger in my life- but I am a young, attractive white female.

We can all say that, on the internet...

I don't understand your meaning. Please clarify?

It means he is in doubt of what you wrote. I could post that I am a handsome young man, but unfortunately, too many here have seen what I really am... a wrinkly old fart with an evil lear on my face.

Exactly; Ian could even provide pictures as evidence that he was a handsome young man, though you might be puzzled why he was clutching pre-decimal currency.

SC

(young attractive white female)

Scotland for me too...........Ireland is a pale imitation

A country where flashes of brilliance emerge from centuries of drunken debauchery.

What else would you expect from the Home of Whisky? But when sober we...........

Invented the television, telephone and penicillin, international capitalism, international masonry, and the art of having a good fight at a wedding.

http://en.wikipedia....rts_innovations

We even had to go help the English invent the United Kingdom!! after having to lend them our Scottish royalty too.

Anyway......

A land of

Outstanding scenery,

The Athens of the North, Edinburgh

The Edinburgh Festival, the largest Arts festival in the world,

World class sporting venues and sailing,

Incredible mountain ranges,

Wildlife teeming all over the hills,

Home of the oldest regiment in the British Army,

History everywhere, and I mean everywhere,

World class museums and fascinating architecture

Where men wear kilts and look you in the eye and dare you to say something,

24 hour bars and sing-songs in the morning,

Where not having a hangover is a badge of shame,

Some of the most sublime food you could ever hope to taste,

and some of the worst too, ( see onionluke above ) but we love it just the same,

Cities that know how to party, with night clubs bursting at the seams,

Where the girls dress like hookers and know tricks that would put hookers to shame,

As I say, an outstanding country, one that we have to get out of now and again to get a break from the debauchery, that's why we holiday in Thailand. It's nice and relaxed there biggrin.png

Scottish people originated from Ireland. Read your history books.

Scotland is a pale immitation of IRELAND.

Your nationality Sir?

You really don't want to be starting a Ireland v Scotland debate, really, you don't.

Really.

A country where flashes of brilliance emerge from centuries of drunken debauchery.

What else would you expect from the Home of Whisky? But when sober we...........

Invented the television, telephone and penicillin, international capitalism, international masonry, and the art of having a good fight at a wedding.

We even had to go help the English invent the United Kingdom!! after having to lend them our Scottish royalty too.

Anyway......

A land of

Outstanding scenery,

and some of the worst too, ( see onionluke above ) but we love it just the same,

Where the girls dress like hookers and know tricks that would put hookers to shame,

As I say, an outstanding country, one that we have to get out of now and again to get a break from the debauchery, that's why we holiday in Thailand. It's nice and relaxed there biggrin.png

Your nationality Sir?

You really don't want to be starting a Ireland v Scotland debate, really, you don't.

Really.

bring it on ya big jessie. giggle.gif

Anyway......

A land of

Outstanding scenery,

Your nationality Sir?

Really.

bring it on ya big jessie. giggle.gif

Very good......but you can still tell me your nationality, this will be interesting!!

Bhutan is very nice. Himachal Pradesh is good.

Queensland is Godzone.

Laos is marvellous.

New Zealand is lovely. So is the Peak District (but too cold).

With internet, Amazon and Kindle anywhere is OK, except for that noisy Thai village on the other thread (about funerals).

For me I would have to say Iran.

Public executions

No Alcohol

Islamic culture

Friendly people

Women can't cheat on you or else they might get stoned to death.

Iran is just an awesome place that I really love.

Prior to the revolution Iran was one the absolute choice assignment posts for professional expats. I know a number of old expats who worked in Iran back in the golden days they all wax lyrical about how fantastic it was.

Well you can keep a lid on that for ever.

You're right about the friendly people.

I met a very nice Iranian nightclub singer the first weekend I was in Dubai, and had a pleasant early evening's drinking in the Lotus.

The Iranian lads that I had as neighbours used to drink in the Reggae Bar in China Town, which is quite a famous establishment, I believe. Charming blokes, the ones I met. We used to bump into one another in the laundry, and also next door in the Royal Oak

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4172570

SC

EDIT: Hopefully fixed the quotes...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Public executions

No Alcohol

Islamic culture

Friendly people

clap2.gifjap.gif

There is ALWAYS another point of view to any topic.

I still say it's up to each individual's interests what constitutes a great country. And, one's personal financial situation is huge in this topic.

Public executions

No Alcohol

Islamic culture

Friendly people

Wish you luck. But no alky would destroy me and cleaning the .45 every day would piss me off. drunk.gif

I had an Iranian girlfriend once, beautiful, absolutely stunning, gorgeous, breathtaking, wow wub.png

Best £100 I ever spent.

I got chatting to a lovely Iranian girl by the swimming pool; she was studying English prior to going to the UK to study sports physiotherapy, apparently. I never got round to phoning her up, though.

Socially, that apartment was slightly more exciting than the new place, and the Royal Oak was a lot cheaper than any of the pubs across the road except for The Reef, but its a bit dingy, and quite far away for just across the road. Live bands though from time to time...

SC

EDIT: I thought of going for a mucky weekend in Iran once, but decided against it.

Edited by StreetCowboy

I had an Iranian girlfriend once, beautiful, absolutely stunning, gorgeous, breathtaking, wow wub.png

Best £100 I ever spent.

I got chatting to a lovely Iranian girl by the swimming pool; she was studying English prior to going to the UK to study sports physiotherapy, apparently. I never got round to phoning her up, though.

Socially, that apartment was slightly more exciting than the new place, and the Royal Oak was a lot cheaper than any of the pubs across the road except for The Reef, but its a bit dingy, and quite far away for just across the road. Live bands though from time to time...

SC

EDIT: I thought of going for a mucky weekend in Iran once, but decided against it.

Methinks a good decision......

I've met quite a few Iranians on my travels, and I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting them. It's a pity that nutters like Ahma Dinnerjacket get all the press as the as they don't reflect the people ( in my limited experience).

Again as rule of thumb, most people from the Middle East that I've met have been perfectly pleasant, hospitable and courteous, except that bunch of cheeky bast*rds that work at Dubai immigration. annoyed.gif

Edited by theblether

I had a number of iranian school chums...there was an iranian girl at Santa Monica College that was really beautiful (there were so many beautiful women at that place that it was hard to study...very distracting...one girl looked exactly like Grace Kelly but with a nicer ass and she was really friendly)...then one day about the time of the islamic revolution they all disappeared...the FBI and immigration rounded them up and sent them home...

then there was a dishevelled young blond woman with hollow eyes from lack of sleep in my differential equations class with legs up to here and dirty tight jeans and she useta sit next to me...and we useta look over the homework together before the class started and I said: 'jesus christ, will it never stop?...' she was really smart and she had bad breath but I coulda breathed it forever...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

What Is Your Favourite Country And Why?

I find it quite interesting, that in a Thailand Expat Forum there are so few people who would answer "Thailand".

But this includes me too. Being in Thailand is a compromise. There are lots of places which are worse. But then it is a good idea to contemplate if there is a better place to live. And take action and move.

• Like 1