Money Out Of Thailand

Interested to here a helpful response as I have a similar situation;

No work permit.

What is required to transfer the money to a UK bank account?

What proof do they require that the money was bought in legally? Are bank statements from the last 2 or 3 years showing money received from a foreign account good enough proof?

Re: The comment that said it a a crap exchange rate :- I think it is a good exchange rate at the moment for moving money out of Thailand

Go to bank, tell them you want to transfer money to UK, show them your work permit, fill in form, done

what if he doesn't have a work permit?

He's screwed.

Why? I don't have a WP and I've transferred money to the UK. not this much, but if thats a factor, at what amount does the rules change?

I had to go to my branch (Kasikorn) and sign some form. They did ask for a bill/reason, to which I replied I need some cash in my UK account.

The money had been paid into my Thai account from an overseas employer, so I would hope that this record in my transactions would be adequate to show that the money is clean...

Can you elaborate?

The rules set by the Bank of Thailand for the Banks to administer the foreign exchange remittances state that the banks must sight evidence that the money was legally earned in Thailand or the funds were brought into the country. If you have statements or passbooks showing the funds arriving from overseas then that should be sufficent evidence for the Banks to proceed.

• Like 1

The rules set by the Bank of Thailand for the Banks to administer the foreign exchange remittances state that the banks must sight evidence that the money was legally earned in Thailand or the funds were brought into the country. If you have statements or passbooks showing the funds arriving from overseas then that should be sufficent evidence for the Banks to proceed.

Yes, thats what I figured.

So he's not screwed by not having a WP, as long as the money is traceable.

Yes, thats what I figured.

So he's not screwed by not having a WP, as long as the money is traceable.

If you brought the money in 'for living expenses' wouldn't they expect you to have spent it?

I have my salary (from Africa) sent to my Kbank every month. I transfer money to my Singapore bank every month. No work visa. Just a passport. Kbank ask alot of questions though and want alot of details. They want to know your job, where the money came from, why am I transfurring it, the Singapore banks details including address and phone number. So to make it easier I withdraw my money from Kbank and tranfer it from Bangkok bank next door. No questions, minimal paperwork and money sent in 1 working day (unlike Kbank which is 4 to 5 working days) Only reason I stay with Kbank as I have too maney accounts and internet banking and deposits going through them.

I have my salary (from Africa) sent to my Kbank every month. I transfer money to my Singapore bank every month. No work visa. Just a passport. Kbank ask alot of questions though and want alot of details. They want to know your job, where the money came from, why am I transfurring it, the Singapore banks details including address and phone number. So to make it easier I withdraw my money from Kbank and tranfer it from Bangkok bank next door. No questions, minimal paperwork and money sent in 1 working day (unlike Kbank which is 4 to 5 working days) Only reason I stay with Kbank as I have too maney accounts and internet banking and deposits going through them.

And when I say tranfer, I do not have a bank account with Bangkok bank. I phisically take the money in and hand it over the counter to be transferred. Incredible easy and no issues in the 2 years I have done it.

And when I say tranfer, I do not have a bank account with Bangkok bank. I phisically take the money in and hand it over the counter to be transferred. Incredible easy and no issues in the 2 years I have done it.

Thats good to know. Ever sent more than 20 000 USD this way?

Strange though, as I guess the whole reason for asking for a WP or proof it came from abroad, is to show that it wasn't gained illegally, but if you can just walk into another bank and send a wad of cash easier than with your own, it defeats the object a bit...

Thats good to know. Ever sent more than 20 000 USD this way?

Strange though, as I guess the whole reason for asking for a WP or proof it came from abroad, is to show that it wasn't gained illegally, but if you can just walk into another bank and send a wad of cash easier than with your own, it defeats the object a bit...

I have sent over $20 000 to Thailand and I had to go in the bank and fill in a release form stating where the money came from. This was in Chathaburi, Soi Dao (middle of no where) and they gave me blank looks when my wife asked for the forms to release the money. Gave up as I was travelling to Bkk the next day. Asked Kbank lady there and she knew excately what I was talking about and the form was filled in by them on my behalf while I was there. The money was released the same day. Still a hassle though. Now I transfer big sums to my Singapore account and then transfer it to my Kbank account. I informed the bank to contact my wife on all transactions (we have joint bank account) as I want a favouirable exchange rate. They contact her and if it is over 20K they ask here verbally where the money came from. She tells them and the money is in 20 minutes later.

. ........

Now I transfer big sums to my Singapore account and then transfer it to my Kbank account. I informed the bank to contact my wife on all transactions (we have joint bank account) as I want a favouirable exchange rate. They contact her and if it is over 20K they ask here verbally where the money came from. She tells them and the money is in 20 minutes later.

What specifically does she tell the bank?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.