Did 90 Days Rules Change?

I entered the country on Dec 3, 2011.

In my calculations this means that I have to report for 90 days on March 2, 2012 or 7 days earlier.

So I went in on Feb 27.

The Immigration officer looked at my papers and then said "You have to report on March 15" and he wrote explicitly on my paper "Dec 3 => Mar 15".

Now, what is this? Am I no longer able to calculate 90 days, is the immigration officer wrong (they generally look at a table for this) or did the rules change?

Anyone else experience with this?

And what to do next? I intend to return on March 2 to try again unless the rules changed. Afraid that if I do not go back they will let me pay the overstay fine at March 15, which is considerable with 13 days of overstay.

Rules have not changed, it's still every 90 days. I count the same as you and March 2 is the date. I'd go back i otherwise they might get you for reporting late, 2000 baht, not 500 baht a day overstay.

Around March 3 would be the correct date, seems a mistake by the immigration officer, or did you come in on a visa and recently applied for an extension of stay? In that case the 90 days start from the date you apply for your FIRST extension of stay.

Thank you all.

So it seems the immigration officer was wrong. I will go back to them this week and will not take the risk for an overstay.

Yes, I am on a retirement O visa here. I stay here permanently but was out of the country at the end of November last year. I returned on December 3. So that is the day to count from.

Mario, be carefull. A Visa extension does NOT count as a 90 day report. I made that mistake once and had a lot of trouble avoiding the overstay fine.

Thank you all.

So it seems the immigration officer was wrong. I will go back to them this week and will not take the risk for an overstay.

Yes, I am on a retirement O visa here. I stay here permanently but was out of the country at the end of November last year. I returned on December 3. So that is the day to count from.

Mario, be carefull. A Visa extension does NOT count as a 90 day report. I made that mistake once and had a lot of trouble avoiding the overstay fine.

As I believe I said, only your first extension of stay counts as a 90 day report.