Poll: Worst Driver In Thailand

Butterfly

With all the bad driving experience we are all having here, maybe we should take a poll of what we think are the worst drivers and how to avoid them.

So I will start with what I think is my order of bad drivers:

1. The "Pickup Driver" who think he is driving a Ferrari

2. The private "Expensive Mini-Van" driver who is driving faster than a Ferrari

3. The "Commercial Mini-Bus" drivers on YaBa who needs to deliver his passengers before the night fall

4. The private "Commercial Big Bus" drivers on YaBa who are racing each other and who think they own the road.

5. The "BMWer Red Plate" (actually all plates) who need to race anyone to prove that they own the road

6. The Farangs Drivers (all of them) or their chauffeurs in their imported car

7. BKK Only: The City Bus (Green being the worst) and those ###### motorbikes

I am sure I am forgetting some !!!

PS: Don't know how to use the Polls, so maybe one mod could transform that list into a poll. Thanks.

Edited by Butterfly

There are so many bad drivers in or on so many different vehicles it's hard to pinpoint which are the worst. I would say motorcyclists, taxis and taxi vans (those 20 baht ones) are the worst; in Bangkok at least.

We once saw a lady trying to squeeze her Honda Accord (or similar sized car) into a parking space at the mall. She was pulling in forwards and didn't have her car straight enough. She ended up scraping the car next to her, causing it to shake a bit. Couldn't help laughing at that one.

Agree with all the above but would like to add motorcycles with sidecars. They usually drive down the middle of the road causing dangerous overtaking manouevres. They are also a pain at night because very few of them have lights on the sidecar.

Without a doubt the worst drivers are the mini-van drivers. If you ever have to drive up to Mae Sai for a Visa run there are so many of them and they ALL drive too fast, tail-gate and over-take wherever (corners, blind hills).

Actually when I think about it pretty much all drivers do those things, it's just the mini-vans are so bloody big!

Up in Chiang Mai we have the red song-taews, the only requirement to be a driver of one of these is to be completely ignorant of driving skills - other than taking up that invisible middle lane on a road, incase the traffic in either lane gets too slow, and the ST driver can simply veer to the clearer lane

Edited by Grant

I second the motorbikes with sidecars. They are a real menace here in Phuket. They crawl along in the middle of the road and often have no lights at night.

I would also like to add Nissan NV drivers. I dont know why, they all seem to drive like nutters. Even though its basically a pickup, i would class them as worse than pickup truck drivers.

I would also like to add Nissan NV drivers. I dont know why, they all seem to drive like nutters. Even though its basically a pickup, i would class them as worse than pickup truck drivers.

I always that that Isuzu drivers were the most irratic of the Pick Up. I drive a car and it's always fun when you meet the pick-up driver that passed you doing 120KMH a little further along the road, on a hill doing 25KMH.

Or the monkies who think it's appropriate to drive 6 inches from my rear bumper at 120KPH.

or the monkies who drive 120 kph in the fast lane and wont pullover even though your only 6 inches off their rear bumper :D:o

Random Chances, your being a little unfair. He is only in the fast lane because he has to turn right in about 10 kilometres.

PS: Don't know how to use the Polls, so maybe one mod could transform that list into a poll. Thanks.

Done.

But I'm thinking this subject probably belongs more in HKK not Motoring... :o

Edited by Jai Dee

Or the monkies who think it's appropriate to drive 6 inches from my rear bumper at 120KPH.

or the monkies who drive 120 kph in the fast lane and wont pullover even though your only 6 inches off their rear bumper :D:o

Random Chances, your being a little unfair. He is only in the fast lane because he has to turn right in about 10 kilometres.

I always remember being in the car with my Mother-in-law, she does'nt drive much, but I asked her why she kept in the "fast" lane" . She showed me the sign saying "slow traffic keep left" and said "well I'm doing 80 kph thats not slow" and proceded to drive all the way at 80 kph in the fast lane :D

I usually let go of the gas pedal gently for these guys.

Truck and BMW, Mercdes drivers get to see that my brake lights work properly even at 120kph.

You left out my neighbour who came back home with a missing front fender and bumper with a 2 day old brand new car... He still has to try 2 or 3 times before he can drive into his laneway. :o

I alway enjoy watching him drive away without touching the gas pedal on our street.

I usually let go of the gas pedal gently for these guys.

Truck and BMW, Mercdes drivers get to see that my brake lights work properly even at 120kph.

That's fine as long as their brakes work as well as your brake lights! :o

Those VIP coaches are a nightmare! Those guys try to handle them as if they were go-carts. Whenever there is a major bus accident it's almost always one of those buses. The number of bad accidents reaches its pinnacle during Songkran when some of these bus companies find any moron with a pulse, hand him the keys and send him on his way to the Issan with a bus load of people.

Edited by Thaiboxer

The absolute worst - People who dont slow down as they go over a puddle at the same time as me (on my bike) and soak me to the bone.

Thoughtless idiots!  Note: more often than not this has been farrangs  :o

Oops sorry !!! :D

I don't pay attention to motorbike anymore, they are such a pain and they never pay attention. Now when I see one coming, I completely ignore it. I am surprised I hadn't one who smashed into my car already. However when I see a farang on a motorbike, I am carefull because I know they pay attention.

or the monkies who drive 120 kph in the fast lane and wont pullover even though your only 6 inches off their rear bumper :D:D

I always remember being in the car with my Mother-in-law, she does'nt drive much, but I asked her why she kept in the "fast" lane" . She showed me the sign saying "slow traffic keep left" and said "well I'm doing 80 kph thats not slow" and proceded to drive all the way at 80 kph in the fast lane :D

:o Maybe I've been driving here too long, but that logic makes sense when the max limit is 90kmph. I just pass them in the left lane.... at 120 :D

BKKs Green Buses. They are the rudest...to their passengers and to other drivers...and their exhaust is the worst.

Those green buses are terrible and I agree about their driving. However, I've seen exhaust coming from the standard blue/white buses that equals or in some cases exceeds that of the green buses. One night on the way home I got stuck behind one of those blue/white buses. In no time at all my car smelled like diesel!

If you are being tail-gated by a VIP bus, or a ten-wheeler, then you are too slow, no matter what the speed limit is.

I see it all the time - huge trucks overtaking some airheads at 90 km/h - imagine how it feels to see a truck getting in your lane when you are driving at 120?