English As Your Mother Tongue?

Sing_Sling

English, mother tongue - Yes or No  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My Native language is Spanish

I also speak English enough to get though the American Educational system.

Of the world's four most widely spoken languages, Chinese, India /Hindustan (maybe miss-spelled), English, and Spanish.

Have a good understanding of two of them.

Cheers:cowboy.gif

"Chinese" as language does not exist and neither does the language "Hindustan" exist. China has 10 official languages (NOT dialects) and in India 14 official languages -which each have their own script- exist.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the option for Scottish?

I agree that roughing someone up for their lack of Engiish is wrong, however! Very often as we know, it's not 'what is said, but the manner in which it is said, is wrong'.

It's the nature of the beast on internet forums that the language is truncuated as 60% of communication is body language. The emoticons help but they can't replace body language.

Also the time taken to communicate is so much longer, hence leading to sometimes unintentionaly brutal exchanges as we don't take the time to frame our responses as we would during conversations.

Some of the topics do turn brutal though, I am as guilty as anyone of rising to the bait, especially when the Wingeing Brit Pensioner Brigade kick in ( did you know they do my head in? ), but we should all refrain from taking things personaly, as we are only getting input through the prism and filter of the internet.

Scottish is not an option, as it's not understood verbally by non Scottish. tongue.png

You've caught us Semper. It's our must cunning secret. It's called plausible deniability.

We can speak Engiish perfectly, however we are taught how to speak broad Scots at school.

This gives us the competitive advantage of being able to deny everything when we are caught being devious.

The stock response is 'I didn't say that, you must have misunderstood my accent'.

Why do you think there are so many Scottish politicians? They can lie there way to the top and not get caught.

"Ahllhaeanauryin"

"Eh?"

"I think he said "more drink, landlord"

"Ayeiseedeefdorwhit"

"No, landlord, I have no idea what he said there either."

On the other hand, as I understand it, Chinese is a written language with two variants - traditional and simplified, which is used by the speakers of countless dialects, and I suppose you could consider that the Beijing dialect based Putonghua or Guo Yu or Han Yin were the spoken form that most closely related to the written.

SC

I agree that roughing someone up for their lack of Engiish is wrong, however! Very often as we know, it's not 'what is said, but the manner in which it is said, is wrong'.

It's the nature of the beast on internet forums that the language is truncuated as 60% of communication is body language. The emoticons help but they can't replace body language.

Also the time taken to communicate is so much longer, hence leading to sometimes unintentionaly brutal exchanges as we don't take the time to frame our responses as we would during conversations.

Some of the topics do turn brutal though, I am as guilty as anyone of rising to the bait, especially when the Wingeing Brit Pensioner Brigade kick in ( did you know they do my head in? ), but we should all refrain from taking things personaly, as we are only getting input through the prism and filter of the internet.

If you get your Independance in 2014,you will be lucky to get a Pension from Scotland,let alone a National Health Service,can't see you voting for that mate, (that will do your head in)

If it means I don't have to admit being a countryman of yours it will be worth it.

Independance is Unlikely to happen,the Scottish people know which side their bread is buttered.

Where is the option for Scottish? I agree that roughing someone up for their lack of Engiish is wrong, however! Very often as we know, it's not 'what is said, but the manner in which it is said, is wrong'. It's the nature of the beast on internet forums that the language is truncuated as 60% of communication is body language. The emoticons help but they can't replace body language. Also the time taken to communicate is so much longer, hence leading to sometimes unintentionaly brutal exchanges as we don't take the time to frame our responses as we would during conversations. Some of the topics do turn brutal though, I am as guilty as anyone of rising to the bait, especially when the Wingeing Brit Pensioner Brigade kick in ( did you know they do my head in? ), but we should all refrain from taking things personaly, as we are only getting input through the prism and filter of the internet.
Scottish is not an option, as it's not understood verbally by non Scottish. tongue.png
You've caught us Semper. It's our must cunning secret. It's called plausible deniability. We can speak Engiish perfectly, however we are taught how to speak broad Scots at school. This gives us the competitive advantage of being able to deny everything when we are caught being devious. The stock response is 'I didn't say that, you must have misunderstood my accent'. Why do you think there are so many Scottish politicians? They can lie there way to the top and not get caught.
"Ahllhaeanauryin" "Eh?" "I think he said "more drink, landlord" "Ayeiseedeefdorwhit" "No, landlord, I have no idea what he said there either." On the other hand, as I understand it, Chinese is a written language with two variants - traditional and simplified, which is used by the speakers of countless dialects, and I suppose you could consider that the Beijing dialect based Putonghua or Guo Yu or Han Yin were the spoken form that most closely related to the written. SC
Written Chinese is fascinating . Mainland Chinese including at least 26 ethnic minorities , Koreans and Japanese all use Chinese characters with the same meaning but diffrent word sounds . The Koreans and Japanese have also phonetic alphabets . I speak Cantonese with a Glasgow accent and no one seems to care . Noisy bunch the Chinese .

Edit ; I know there is 26 ethnic minorities because that is the number of secret agents I counted dressed up as herders and weavers with fake white beards on dancing a dirge at the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony hidden amongst the procession .

Edited by onionluke

If you get your Independance in 2014,you will be lucky to get a Pension from Scotland,let alone a National Health Service,can't see you voting for that mate, (that will do your head in)

If it means I don't have to admit being a countryman of yours it will be worth it.

Independance is Unlikely to happen,the Scottish people know which side their bread is buttered.

Happily, whatever the decision, you will have no say in it whatsoever.

• Like 1

Dinna ye forget that the brightest prospect open to a Scotsman is the highroad to England! (and via England to the engineer's rooms of the merchant navy, and thus to what were once the colonies.) On the way they had to learn proper English. I suppose they can go independent with what is left.

Dinna ye forget that the brightest prospect open to a Scotsman is the highroad to England! (and via England to the engineer's rooms of the merchant navy, and thus to what were once the colonies.) On the way they had to learn proper English. I suppose they can go independent with what is left.

Yes and we shall make the English rebuild the wall and pay for it. Happy times indeed.

...I

Unless he's a registered voter in Scotland.

I think when one registers for an overseas vote, one is counted within the consituency in which you were last registered, but I am not sure of that. It might make more sense to have a single overseas constituency...

SC

...I

I think when one registers for an overseas vote, one is counted within the consituency in which you were last registered, but I am not sure of that. It might make more sense to have a single overseas constituency...

SC

Good idea. Given the recent oil explorations I'd like to nominate the Falklands.

Yes and we shall make the English rebuild the wall and pay for it. Happy times indeed.

It wasn't us who built the walls (there are two of them, Hadrian's and the Antonine); it was the Romans. The idea was to keep the Scots out... but it was a dismal failure. Such is life!

It wasn't us who built the walls (there are two of them, Hadrian's and the Antonine); it was the Romans. The idea was to keep the Scots out... but it was a dismal failure. Such is life!

+1, was an unfortunate failure, BUT seems now they don't want to be part of UK. intheclub.gif No wall.

...I

SC

No i'm not a Registered Voter in Scotland as far as i'm aware of,but if I was eligable to vote,I would be more than happy, along with the majority of English People to vote for Scottish Independence.

But lets face it, it's really all about one mans Ego,and wheeling and dealing,with a weakened Westminster Government,than what's right for the Scottish People.

And in my view a Referendum is unlikely to be in favour of Independence,as previously stated."the Scottish People know what side their bread is buttered"

...I

SC

No i'm not a Registered Voter in Scotland as far as i'm aware of,but if I was eligable to vote,I would be more than happy, along with the majority of English People to vote for Scottish Independence.

But lets face it, it's really all about one mans Ego,and wheeling and dealing,with a weakened Westminster Government,than what's right for the Scottish People.

And in my view a Referendum is unlikely to be in favour of Independence,as previously stated."the Scottish People know what side their bread is buttered"

I agree with you totally, the best place for Alex Salmon is in a sandwich with some cucumber! Edited by exeter
  • Like 1

I think England is a very ignorant country when it comes to other languages.

Have you any idea of how many other languages are spoken in England ?...thought not.....so lest not talk about ignorance shall we

Over the last many years the predominent 2nd language in England is Polish, I would think Hindi, Pakistani, Chinese etc etc are up there as well being in the top 10

I am not sure that Polish is second but many government forms/information are published in a large number of languages and alphabets/scripts; Welsh and Gaelic are in here too. But so what, the UK has a large immigrant population both European and former Empire with rights of residence

Have you any idea of how many other languages are spoken in England ?...thought not.....so lest not talk about ignorance shall we

Over the last many years the predominent 2nd language in England is Polish, I would think Hindi, Pakistani, Chinese etc etc are up there as well being in the top 10

I am not sure that Polish is second but many government forms/information are published in a large number of languages and alphabets/scripts; Welsh and Gaelic are in here too. But so what, the UK has a large immigrant population both European and former Empire with rights of residence

Then again there are those who’s native language is indeed English yet they revel in trashing it. Any suggestion that they should perhaps try a little harder is met with vilification and contempt. If something is worth writing, isn’t it worth writing well? Assuming of course that English is your native tongue and you have a modicum of education.

If you want to be pompous, patronising and superior then you should have written "those whose native language". try a little harder

Then again there are those who’s native language is indeed English yet they revel in trashing it. Any suggestion that they should perhaps try a little harder is met with vilification and contempt. If something is worth writing, isn’t it worth writing well? Assuming of course that English is your native tongue and you have a modicum of education.

If you want to be pompous, patronising and superior then you should have written "those whose native language". try a little harder

Naughty. drunk.gif

Then again there are those whose native language is indeed English yet they revel in trashing it. Any suggestion that they should perhaps try a little harder is met with vilification and contempt. If something is worth writing, isn’t it worth writing well? Assuming of course that English is your native tongue and you have a modicum of education.

Thanks for catching that egregious error. Consider me properly chastised. Happy now? Edited by villagefarang

THe reason so many languages are spoken in England is that they cannot be bothered to learn English when they can call on translators and still milk the system with no cost to themselves! Learn to fit into the British way of life or go back where you came from, donr t bring your part of the world to the UK and expect it to be an annexe. Before you start I do try and fit in here ( THailand) and learn the language and understand the culture. Edited by exeter
  • Like 1

Problem is they seem to have more rights than me and I was born in England! Edited by exeter

Yeh, l was forced to learn French, l wonder why. Did they think at the time that the frogs were to become dominant. Perhaps they will but l will be under ground by then.

This was in preparation for when England invaded france again and installed the British monarch as the head of the country again....you need to be able to speak to the natives old chap...even if they do smell of garlic, wear onions around their necks and have funny little hats on..

Actually French was compulsory at schools ,more to do with our entry into the Common Market,which had at the time only two members:France and Germany.many years later the Con became clear,we were joining a Federation of Europe,not the Common Market of Trading Nations,as sold to the British people!

Sorry but that is just not true; French and German were taught as a significant part of the currculum long before the EC was even a dream. I knew people who were fluent in French and German since before WW2; they also were familiar with classical Greek and Latin

The one that fascinates me the most among the foggy isles languages is Welsh . . . odd, odder, oddest!

Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh and Benton all have their roots in the same Germanic language.....as pointed our earlier the orginal celts were German

No they don't; they are goidelic languages.

Then again there are those whose native language is indeed English yet they revel in trashing it. Any suggestion that they should perhaps try a little harder is met with vilification and contempt. If something is worth writing, isn’t it worth writing well? Assuming of course that English is your native tongue and you have a modicum of education.

Thanks for catching that egregious error. Consider me properly chastised. Happy now?

Do you know that egregious originally meant illustrious, exactly the opposite of its current meaning? it was suggested early in the thread that criticism of others' usage of English should be treated gently; as a writer you should try to meet your own exacting standards.

I was very lucky to be born in England, like winning the lottery of life, not sure that is so true today. What I think is worth a mention is that it is probably the world's language, a Tunisian told me that by the way, it may turn out to be one of the UK's greatest exports or gifts to the world and there have been a few. It is the most widely available language anywhere in the world, for us who speak it that is a great relief, I am a bit old for learnign new stuff now, but I get by with a bit of Spanish, French and Thai and they do the same with me. There is a fair bit of English to be seen in Thailand, I wonder how the locals think about that?

I think it is probably easier to learn than Thai as well.

The root of the problem with Thai and many other Asian languages is the tonal context. The Chinese have multiple thousands of words in their language however they tend to use variations of about 400 words in daily speech. These 400 words change with the intonation based upon the "4 tone" which are at the root of Mandarin Chinese.

So you may know the word, but if you don't get the tone near on perfect, the Chinese will look at you as your your from outer space. I had more than a few calamities when I tried to learn Chinese. Can you imagine Chinese being spoken with a Glasgwegian accent blink.png

You're from Motherwell - I can tell by your accent

...I

SC

There was a survey in England recently in which 26% of the poll thought that Scotland should be given independence if they voted for that.

+1, was an unfortunate failure, BUT seems now they don't want to be part of UK. intheclub.gif No wall.

And it wasn't us who tore the walls down - it was those dam_n Geordies building sheep pens

I was very lucky to be born in England, like winning the lottery of life, not sure that is so true today. What I think is worth a mention is that it is probably the world's language, a Tunisian told me that by the way, it may turn out to be one of the UK's greatest exports or gifts to the world and there have been a few. It is the most widely available language anywhere in the world, for us who speak it that is a great relief, I am a bit old for learnign new stuff now, but I get by with a bit of Spanish, French and Thai and they do the same with me. There is a fair bit of English to be seen in Thailand, I wonder how the locals think about that?

I think it is probably easier to learn than Thai as well.

The root of the problem with Thai and many other Asian languages is the tonal context. The Chinese have multiple thousands of words in their language however they tend to use variations of about 400 words in daily speech. These 400 words change with the intonation based upon the "4 tone" which are at the root of Mandarin Chinese.

So you may know the word, but if you don't get the tone near on perfect, the Chinese will look at you as your your from outer space. I had more than a few calamities when I tried to learn Chinese. Can you imagine Chinese being spoken with a Glasgwegian accent blink.png

You're from Motherwell - I can tell by your accent

Nearly, born in the ancient market town of Lanark, brought up in Wishaw.