Postal Service Shop Big C North

jimmybkk

Just posted a small parcel overseas from the postal services counter in Big C North Pattaya (Central Festival Centre, or whatever it's called now) on the upper floor near Black Canyon.

As usual it was a young female with bad attitude manning the booth who would clearly rather be playing with her Facebook account than dealing with me. I gave her my parcel and said how much registered airmail to Singapore. She said, after weighing it, "200 Baht" which surprised me a little because it's never usually a round number to send anything anywhere, and so as i was fishing in my pockets for change she flashed a calculator at me that said 242. I thought it sounded a more likely number and also sounded reaonable and so paid her the correct money. She said "Thank you..." in a way that suggested the transaction was over and I should move on. I said "What about the number?" referring to the tracking number because I was sending it registered. She grabbed a receipt from under the counter in the vicinity of the cash register and gave it to me before turning her back and attempting to place my parcel in one of those banding machines (which in itself surprised me because my parcel was small, well wrapped and not at all firm. Sure enough the banding machine just crushed my parcel...)

Usually I would have just walked away at that point, happy with the price I'd paid and happy that what i was sending was pretty much unbreakable, but because of the way she casually gave me the receipt I decided I'd better check it really was my receipt and she hadn't given me the wrong one with the wrong tracking number by mistake.

When i checked it the date was correct, the destination was correct and the time was correct, so all appeared OK except that amongst the different amounts that appeared on the receipt, nowhere did the number 242 appear. It's not the easiest of receipts to understand so for some reason I thought I'd ask her to explain how it works. As soon as I said (politely) "I'm sorry, could you explain how it is 242 Baht...?" she immediately said "Oh sorry!", opened the cash register and gave me 100 Baht back.

My concern now is that as soon as I walked away my parcel got dumped in the "For my sweetheart Somchai..." bag and not in the "For overseas parcels..." bag.

I think that must have been the Manager. I was in there yesterday also sending documents to Singapore (890 Baht via DHL) and was served by a friendly young girl, but at some point she needed clarification from the more older lady sitting at the desk preoccupied with some electronic device. That senior person had the grumpy face. You should send an anonymous email to head office (in case you live in a condo unit higher than 3 stories)

There is another real post office in ... Soi Post office and another one in Jomtien....

And on Sukhumvit near Makro

Near? The post office is opposite the floating market,guess that's more or less 10 km from Makro.

Try about 2.5 Km. But you're right the floating market would have been a better landmark.

There is another real post office in ... Soi Post office and another one in Jomtien....

the easiest access and least busy, is the mobile post office outside Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

I didn't know about that. Mobile in which way, like a pickup truck or something parked at the curb or how does it work?

the easiest access and least busy, is the mobile post office outside Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

I didn't know about that. Mobile in which way, like a pickup truck or something parked at the curb or how does it work?

hi Phil

its a Toyota Hitop van, painted in red and white colors of the post office

it hooks up to the mains electric directly outside Bangkok Pattaya hospital on Sukhumvit road

they have all the services a static post office offers except for accepting big items like motorbikes, fridges etc

they work from 8-30 - 12-30 am Monday to Friday

people come and go all the time and you can usually get parked on the road behind the van

although typically for Thailand many double park and run saunter to the van

i hope that helps

(i may regret publicizing this...........)

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned, but, when I post something I go to a Post Office. I post registered mail and never have a problem. 7 days max to the U.K. and about the same to Australia. I use the Soi 5 Jomtien P.O. and the Soi 13 one in Phattaya (note BBC World spelling ! ) I have a mail box in Soi 13 and pay 500 Baht a year.

I have seen these "rogue" postal counters all over town and think "disaster waiting to happen". As for DHL and UPS......look what happened the last time I used them. Tom Hanks stole my beach ball......

Call me old fashioned, but, when I post something I go to a Post Office. I post registered mail and never have a problem. 7 days max to the U.K. and about the same to Australia. I use the Soi 5 Jomtien P.O. and the Soi 13 one in Phattaya (note BBC World spelling ! ) I have a mail box in Soi 13 and pay 500 Baht a year.

I have seen these "rogue" postal counters all over town and think "disaster waiting to happen". As for DHL and UPS......look what happened the last time I used them. Tom Hanks stole my beach ball......

I just used DHL to send a few pages of important documents to Singapore. It arrived in 2 days and cost 900 Baht. EMS (Thaipost) would have cost 550 Baht but the last time I used them it took a week to send documents from Bangkok to Pattaya, not to mention their online tracking 'lost' the package.

I just used DHL to send a few pages of important documents to Singapore. It arrived in 2 days and cost 900 Baht. EMS (Thaipost) would have cost 550 Baht but the last time I used them it took a week to send documents from Bangkok to Pattaya, not to mention their online tracking 'lost' the package.

i too sent documents last week to DBS bank in Singapore, i sent by EMS, it cost 400 baht and arrived in 4 days

EMS tracks on Thai postal site only until it exits Thailand then in this instance Speedost in Singapore take over

no problem.....

i sent from the 'van' too

Edited by timekeeper

• 3 months later...

hi Phil

its a Toyota Hitop van, painted in red and white colors of the post office

it hooks up to the mains electric directly outside Bangkok Pattaya hospital on Sukhumvit road

they have all the services a static post office offers except for accepting big items like motorbikes, fridges etc

they work from 8-30 - 12-30 am Monday to Friday

people come and go all the time and you can usually get parked on the road behind the van

although typically for Thailand many double park and run saunter to the van

i hope that helps

(i may regret publicizing this...........)

Been passing by looking for this van several times without luck - now I realize it's only there until lunchtime.

[rant]

Why does public offices always have to be for Type-A people? They're always opening at ungodly hours and closing in the middle of the day. Why not open at luchtime and stay open to late evening. At least in Pattaya. Isn't that the normal cycle here?

[/rant]

[rant]

Why does public offices always have to be for Type-A people? They're always opening at ungodly hours and closing in the middle of the day. Why not open at luchtime and stay open to late evening. At least in Pattaya. Isn't that the normal cycle here?

[/rant]

They're already open by the time you stagger home... :P

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

Why not using a REAL post office? These shipping shops all are robbers...

The real post office is in Buddha forsaken Naklua

And a new, big one, almost no customers, on Suk almost across from the floating market...as you're heading into Pattaya on the left. Hard to see, but it's there.