Legal Age For Riding Motorcycle?

TheScribe

...sorry for opening this "can of worms" again,but I was asked the question from my 14 1/2 year old stepson today,if he can have a motorbike...so firstly being unaware of the legal age limit (I really thought it was 18) told him,that he need to get his driver license first ...he didn't know either,so we looked it up and to my horror,it does says 15 up to the 110cc's...so he will be 15 soon and he will probably ask again...

I guess the real answer will be..."get your license first and save your money"...but at the end,it probably be my wife's decision and that could only be "yes" sick.gif ...

...what is your opinion on that?...what would you do as a parent(well,step-parent) ?

Just for any prospective parents.. Honda and i believe Yamaha do rider training courses that also get the driving licence. When i got my Gf a bike i insisted she went on the course.. I'm so glad that i did. They teach the basics in a safe environment. And they try and make the students aware of safe riding.

I would say good idea.

I also think the law says 15 for the small cc ones, but that's a Thai law, so it's not real.

As with many other posters, I've seen multitudes of 9-10-11 year old children riding motorcycles, going the wrong way, no helmets, and 2 or 3 of his buddies on the bike. They might as well extend their middle finger and laugh at the police as they drive by them because the BIB seem oblivious to them.

...sorry for opening this "can of worms" again,but I was asked the question from my 14 1/2 year old stepson today,if he can have a motorbike...so firstly being unaware of the legal age limit (I really thought it was 18) told him,that he need to get his driver license first ...he didn't know either,so we looked it up and to my horror,it does says 15 up to the 110cc's...so he will be 15 soon and he will probably ask again...

I guess the real answer will be..."get your license first and save your money"...but at the end,it probably be my wife's decision and that could only be "yes" sick.gif ...

...what is your opinion on that?...what would you do as a parent(well,step-parent) ?

Simple, if you pay your wife or your wife has no money its kinda your decision. If she has money she can do what she pleases. Personally if 15 is the legal limit id let him go for a license (why not its the law) and get a bike. All these nay sayers are crazy, its the law here and most people dont even uphold the law. So if you are doing it by the book your already one step ahead. Why make it two steps.

I do find it a good idea to let the boy try to work and pay for it. But to be honest i have no idea about children working in Thailand and i think most people here have no idea about it either.

Thanks...some good posts/advise here...I will definitely wait for him to get the license first and it will be a good few month to that,so it is still time to think about it...

For now the only reason he wants a bike is because his buddies have some...if I could see a real need,I would think about it harder...

He is a good boy,likes to help and he plays football really well,so there is a hope for him...I'm just a little afraid,if this is going to change when he gets his "wings" to soon...and accidents(!) the major concern of course...what if?!! At 15 one may seem responsible,but...not much experience and sh_it happens...

Thanks...some good posts/advise here...I will definitely wait for him to get the license first and it will be a good few month to that,so it is still time to think about it...

For now the only reason he wants a bike is because his buddies have some...if I could see a real need,I would think about it harder...

He is a good boy,likes to help and he plays football really well,so there is a hope for him...I'm just a little afraid,if this is going to change when he gets his "wings" to soon...and accidents(!) the major concern of course...what if?!! At 15 one may seem responsible,but...not much experience and sh_it happens...

I think this post gives this answer.

Firstly his buddies. THey may be good kids but you do not have any influence or control over them and how they ride. Sure as anything he will be on the back of their bikes whenever he wants to. If he has his own you can set some rules and consequences for riding it. First is helmet for both rider and passenger at no times. If not keys go for a set period. He will not want to lose his wheels so you have some chance of this. As far as speed and risk taking it goes with the age. You have little control but you can teach him how he SHOULD ride.If you have bought him up well some of it sticks.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1