Strawberry Explosion

WinnieTheKhwai

Prices for strawberries are just ridiculous right now; they may actually be the cheapest fruit around these days. My wife buys them faster than we can eat them. But they don't keep forever, so what to do with them? Yesterday I brought a bag with me to Loi Kroh, thought I'd feed some to the hookers, which went over really well.

And I just produced three big jars of strawberry jam, which turns out to be surprisingly easy to make. (Add sugar & heat, stir.)

What else can one do with them? Is strawberry wine feasible? Or strawberry Vodka? That seems easier as you're only adding it for flavor.

Any other ideas? This country is too cheap.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Strawberry wine is not feasible. The unlicensed distillation, brewing of, or fermentation of alcohol is illegal in Thailand. Even if for personal consumption.

Strawberry infused vodka may be ok, but not sure what you could mix that with... Maybe a one part strawberry vodka, one part soda water, and 2 parts Shark Coolbite? Or maybe equal parts of soda water and Carabao daeng...

Probably best to just stick with feeding hookers and baking strawberry shortcakes, tho. cowboy.gif

-Mestizo

• Like 1

its cheap i know, but dont you find the local strawberries rather tasteless?

Not at the right time at the right place. Big, firm, super sweet and 50-60 baht a kilo.

What did your wife think about you feeding the hookers?

Don't know.. Not sure if I should ask. But letting food go to waste is a sin, and sharing brings merit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Not at the right time at the right place. Big, firm, super sweet and 50-60 baht a kilo.

What did your wife think about you feeding the hookers?

Don't know.. Not sure if I should ask. But letting food go to waste is a sin, and sharing brings merit.

where did you buy those from? the strawberries i bought from tanin market are alittle bland =(

Strawberries in Thailand are only good for one thing... feeding the chickens. I've never tasted ONE edible strawberry in the 15 years I've been coming here. They are dried out and tasteless, if they are not just plain sour. I DO know something about strawberries. I used to grow them on Vancouver Island and various places on the mainland. The California strawberries are only a fraction better than those grown in Thailand.

• Like 1

Strawberries here in Thailand are a joke.

We have a lot of strawberry fields in the south of Switzerland that are thousands time sweeter and tasty than here. I've tried for many years strawberries in north Thailand and my verdict is: sour and tasteless.

Keep growing lamyai, mangos and coconut. Keep growing the fruits that can make you proud of your agriculture. Strawberry is clearly not one of them. I've told my wife not to buy them anymore.

WTK, where are finding good ones (strawberries, not the hookers)? I've just about lost hope of finding decent ones in Thailand (compared to English varieties, that is).

I had given up on finding good Strawberries here in Thailand as well.

However, last weekend we were up in Doi Ang Kong and they had some really nice big, sweet and juicy ones.

The Strawberries... not sure about the hookers.

Edited by vacationman

Strawberries in Thailand are only good for one thing... feeding the chickens.

Or they could use it for producing a kind of Strawberry Spy WineCooler. I'm sure it could be popular with the female tourists and the bar ladies. :)

I don't see why you shouldn't make wine out of them (you don't have to tell anybody).

The mountain ones taste better because they've had some cold weather during their lifespan; simple as that.

Why not start a Strawberry Parade, like the tomato parade in some place in Italy, where everybody can throw strawberries at each other.... sanuk sanuk!

Why not start a Strawberry Parade, like the tomato parade in some place in Italy, where everybody can throw strawberries at each other.... sanuk sanuk!

Great idea, though with unripe strawberries it could hurt some eyes.

Anyway, the parade you're referring is held in the Valencian town of Buñol in Spain. ;)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatina

Had many and mostly ones not worth eating, or at least paying for, but last time from the Mae Rim intersection at 107 got really good one, not best I've ever had in other countries, but ripe and sweet, so like all fruits must buy in season when picked or ripened correctly. Like I do with all the extra good fruit in season I freeze it and add to seasonal fresh fruit for mixed shakes through out the year, if there is any strawberries left after we make trifle, last time w/mangos and bananas, good stuff!!

Edited by junglechef

WTK, where are finding good ones (strawberries, not the hookers)? I've just about lost hope of finding decent ones in Thailand (compared to English varieties, that is).

I don't know exactly as the Mrs sources them, but they come from Samoeng.

Can you ask her, please?

isanbirder

re .. Why not start a Strawberry Parade,

we already have a strawberry festival at airport plaza most years and the balloon displays

are much better than the rock hard , chewy . tasteless thai strawberrys any day !

a nice english strawberry you can cut in half with your lips coz its soft and sweet

in thailand ... you need a chainsaw : (

dave2

ps ... they might look good but ive not bought any for over six years

mangoes ... thais can grow ... nice strawberrys .. never

post-42592-0-69625800-1330866797_thumb.j

post-42592-0-92965900-1330866883_thumb.j

I don't know exactly as the Mrs sources them, but they come from Samoeng.

Hmm... With all the people asking, how about you resell them for a small profit? You could then put the earnings towards your drinking budget (discussed in another thread). Win-Win-Win!

-Mestizo

I have never eaten them since the man who emptied our

septic tank ,told me where they take the err waste to

dump,they use it to fertilize the strawberry fields.

Does that make them organic ?

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie, with you new knowledge maybe the best time to stop eating fruit and veg.......... Everywhere in the world stuff from the septic tanks are emptied on to the crop fields, has been done in the UK that i know of for the past 60 years ....

actually i didnt know that as well. im all fine with animal dungs and stuff being used as fertilisers, but seriously from septic tanks? but im pretty dam sure its not in a direct way, could imagine some nasty chemicals in some of the tanks

Edited by barefoot1988

Worgeordie, with you new knowledge maybe the best time to stop eating fruit and veg.......... Everywhere in the world stuff from the septic tanks are emptied on to the crop fields, has been done in the UK that i know of for the past 60 years ....

Ignis Yes I understand a lot of places in the world use human waste to fertilize the crops, but I am

sure they dont use Raw Human Waste anywhere in Europe, or U S A , sure it has to be treated first.

regards Worgeordie

Strawberries come in 2 types. Strawberries which are sour and the sweet variety. If you want sweet you have to ask for them specifically.

Haven't eaten them for years until recently it was pointed out that they had some sweet ones as well.

Strawberries here in Thailand are a joke.

We have a lot of strawberry fields in the south of Switzerland that are thousands time sweeter and tasty than here. I've tried for many years strawberries in north Thailand and my verdict is: sour and tasteless.

Keep growing lamyai, mangos and coconut. Keep growing the fruits that can make you proud of your agriculture. Strawberry is clearly not one of them. I've told my wife not to buy them anymore.

Um excuse me sir, but can you explain to a dummy your quote "sour and tasteless" ? thank you in advance passifier.gif