Why Do I See So Many Expensive Cars In Chiang Mai ?

IEMDavid

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to laugh ,then wonder, when the car in.the drive is

worth more than the house.!!

That's very common. Not just for the posh models either.

Winnie - a quarter of a million pounds for a car that costs about eighty thousand back in Europe? Are they really that much here? I'm not going to buy one now!

Yes, really really.

But don't worry, you can find them much cheaper second hand. Like this one here, just 4 years old and down to just 8 million: http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=i21540144

Do I sniff a hint of jealousy in some of the comments from some folk who find it hard to accept that others have simply been more successful than them?

Good luck to those with the cool cars. I must admit to being a bit of a petrol head, I'm highly jealous of anyone driving a nice car, I'd love to have a high end sports car. All I can think is good on you !...

I imagine that some of the curvy hilly roads in Chiang Mai are great furn to drive in a powerful sports car.

Bangkok to Chiang Mai is only a 7 hour drive - If I had a Lambo, A8, Ferarri etc, I'd love to go on tour....

Sorry mate but if you went on tour in a Lambo you would probably get as far as the first road works or hole in the road. Its nice to dream but there is a reason why you do not see many of those nice motors on tour!

Do I sniff a hint of jealousy in some of the comments from some folk who find it hard to accept that others have simply been more successful than them?

Yes, I think you're right. I thought getting impressed by wealth was a woman thing.

Edited by Semper

Sorry mate but if you went on tour in a Lambo you would probably get as far as the first road works or hole in the road. Its nice to dream but there is a reason why you do not see many of those nice motors on tour!

Thailand has thousands of kilometers of smooth glasslike black top roads, especially up north.

Stop hatin' on rich thais.

btw, i'll be purchasing a Lotus next year, if i can get over the fact its made by the British.ermm.gif

Which is why I drive a Range Rover !!! - But, don't think the roads are bad. I used to drive a low sports car, the only issues I had were the speed bumps at the golf courses and pulling out of the Sukhumvit sois where I'd ground the nose on regular occasions. I just had to take extra care which after a while became tiresome. With the RR I simply plow over everything.

Yes, I think you're right. I thought getting impressed by wealth was a woman thing.

Perhaps... It's a cool car which impresses me though, not its price tag.

Here's a Lambo that hit a speed bump behind Tesco going into JJ Market and broke the front spoiler. Within minuets there was a couple of farang helping, seemed to be the support team which might be needed driving one of those around here. Also an Audi A8 in the row of shops after Rimping/Rumchouk Plaza. The best was driving down the same stretch before the light and seeing a Lamborghini Aventador parked on the side of the road empty all alone one night, where the fruit stands are during the day. Threw in a shot of me driving a Ferrari, but that was in Italy, where your suppose to drive one!

"seeing a Lamborghini Aventador parked on the side of the road"....they cost around US$380,000.....add in the 300%+++ import tax (presuming they do it legit) and thats an EXPENSIVE car! Wonder what he thinks when he pulls up at the lights is a 5 year old kid is begging for money to be able to eat? I know it's the same the world over, just a sad reflection of society around the world in general I suppose, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer!

• Like 1

Winnie - a quarter of a million pounds for a car that costs about eighty thousand back in Europe? Are they really that much here? I'm not going to buy one now!

A Nissan 350Z in UK = GBP30k , in Thailand GBP100k!

A Mini Cooper S in UK = around GBP18k, in Thailand GBP45k!

ANY imported car/bike is subject to unbelievably high import taxes!

Wooooow - such interesting info here

Excellent 10th post - your contributions to the forum will be highly anticipated.....

Back on Topic (sort of): There must also be some pretty fancy bikes in CM considering the geography and types of roads they have.

To be honest...not really.....best I have seen is Ducati 916SP (in over 4 years).....apart from that, just the usual run of the mill KLX's, ER6's, maybe the odd R1, but very rare, the odd nice custom! Did see a new Z1000 the other day tricked up......but again, very unusual!

Best car, was a Lambo Gallardo blasting past me on the way back from Chiang Rai......the sad thing is that grit and s**'t was flying up from a bus and was getting pebble-dashed.....not nice to see!

Here's a Lambo that hit a speed bump behind Tesco going into JJ Market and broke the front spoiler. Within minuets there was a couple of farang helping, seemed to be the support team which might be needed driving one of those around here. Also an Audi A8 in the row of shops after Rimping/Rumchouk Plaza. The best was driving down the same stretch before the light and seeing a Lamborghini Aventador parked on the side of the road empty all alone one night, where the fruit stands are during the day. Threw in a shot of me driving a Ferrari, but that was in Italy, where your suppose to drive one!

"seeing a Lamborghini Aventador parked on the side of the road"....they cost around US$380,000.....add in the 300%+++ import tax (presuming they do it legit) and thats an EXPENSIVE car! Wonder what he thinks when he pulls up at the lights is a 5 year old kid is begging for money to be able to eat? I know it's the same the world over, just a sad reflection of society around the world in general I suppose, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer!

Works out to at least 500 yrs. of 200 bht a day salary

You have to laugh ,then wonder, when the car in.the drive is

worth more than the house.!!

That would depend on where in Thailand you live........... 12 km further north/west from where i live, NEW 3 bedroom detached houses are around 1.4 - 1.5 million, New Town house well under 1 million.... so to own a Thai Toyota Camry, this car would also be worth more than the house..

Sorry mate but if you went on tour in a Lambo you would probably get as far as the first road works or hole in the road.  Its nice to dream but there is a reason why you do not see many of those nice motors on tour!

Thailand has thousands of kilometers of smooth glasslike black top roads, especially up north.

btw, i'll be purchasing a Lotus next year, if i can get over the fact its made by the British.ermm.gif

I didnt know I was ''hatin'' on anyone, Rich, Thai or anyone else, just a fact of life. There are some smooth roads but you never know when they are going to run out or when there will be roadworks do you? As they are laid with such a thin surface they are only designed to last a couple of seasons before they crumble which means they have to be rebuilt. Just right for someone with a low slung car to get snagged. Regardless of their wealth or nationality.

I don't know anything about cars and have no idea what kind this is, but it looks like Laos plates on it. Guess it begs the question: Why are there so many expensive cars in Laos???

theres obviously some peple in here who know their cars so just out of interest can anyone tell

me what this was that flew past me last year ?

dave2

I don't know anything about cars and have no idea what kind this is, but it looks like Laos plates on it. Guess it begs the question: Why are there so many expensive cars in Laos???

theres obviously some peple in here who know their cars so just out of interest can anyone tell

me what this was that flew past me last year ?

dave2

I noticed that too when I was in Laos last. A lot of expensive cars.

I didnt know I was ''hatin'' on anyone, Rich, Thai or anyone else, just a fact of life. There are some smooth roads but you never know when they are going to run out or when there will be roadworks do you? As they are laid with such a thin surface they are only designed to last a couple of seasons before they crumble which means they have to be rebuilt. Just right for someone with a low slung car to get snagged. Regardless of their wealth or nationality.

Yes i do, i ride these roads up north frequently, 20,000 kilometers in 5 months on a bike. Saying roads last only a couple of seasons is pure speculation from someone who has obviously never traveled them often. Maybe in a little village with soi dogs running around the wat. But for the most part thai roads are excellent. There are even roads which have been designated as scenic routes and have been paved with the scenery in mind. Paving a road only to last a couple of seasons seems extremely counterproductive, and i dare to say you are mistaken !

Get out of bangkok or your little village and stop speculating, there is road work worldwide no matter where you go and being in thailand doesnt make them anymore inferior than any other place on earth. If you cant slow down before seeing an upcoming pothole, you will trash your ride wherever you live.

post-108449-0-93847300-1330920135_thumb.

Had a friend visiting from Colombia last November who couldn't get over how everyone here seems to drive a new car. She also observed that more Thais have high end cell phones and digital cameras. Statistics show that Thailand and Colombia are relatively close on GDP per capita and average income (though there are more poor and unemployed Colombians).

The simple answer is that wealthy Thais have learned how to keep the average Thai person (90% of all Thais) poor and happy, while the wealthy live off the backs of the working people.

Wonder who they learnt that trick from!!

Pathetic to see how many people on this thread take cars seriously. Especially in the cities of Chiang Mai or Bkk, where your expensive gadget will spend most of its life sitting in insane traffic jams, while the owners sit there fuming in the fumes and gradually watching the world come to a standstill.

A lot of these easy bank loans sound like the frenzy of the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Thailand's turn next to discover the consequences of unbridled lending and spending.

Well, on the other hand, there should be some cheap houses and condos to pick up in CM and BKK in a year or two.....

• Like 1