Why Do I See So Many Expensive Cars In Chiang Mai ?

IEMDavid

<p>Yes i do, i ride these roads up north frequently, 20,000 kilometers in 5 months on a bike. Saying roads last only a couple of seasons is pure speculation from someone who has obviously never traveled them often. Maybe in a little village with soi dogs running around the wat. But for the most part thai roads are excellent. There are even roads which have been designated as scenic routes and have been paved with the scenery in mind. Paving a road only to last a couple of seasons seems extremely counterproductive, and i dare to say you are mistaken !

Get out of bangkok or your little village and stop speculating, there is road work worldwide no matter where you go and being in thailand doesnt make them anymore inferior than any other place on earth. If you cant slow down before seeing an upcoming pothole, you will trash your ride wherever you live.

Wow, your chain really does rattle doesn't it.  I have no idea why you have come out with all guns blazing on a simple observation that should not have upset anyone.  As for getting out of my small Village in Sanpagwan well, for the past 20 odd years I have been driving from here down to the Emerald triangle as well as the south and around the north.  I have seen the roads evolve and get better over the years.  I learnt a long time ago, when I had a low slung saloon car that it was the wrong type of vehicle for driving across country because you never knew what you would come across.  As for seeing holes well in advance, this is true.  It doesnt help though when you occasionally get diverted across paddy fields though because the road is blocked or a new bridge is being built and you have to follow in the ruts of large trucks.  Many roads are built for a short life span, it all depends on the highway department in the area you are in.  Even the once excellent roads around Khon Kaen are falling apart especially on the east side.  and yes, I too ride a bike.  I still dont know where this ''hatin'' rich Thais came from. Or where this ''yes I do ride'' comes from, I dont believe I ever questioned it. And yet, you seem to presume to know where I live and have the arrogance to give out advice.   Please, get off your high horse and leave your false indignation where it belongs, it aint on here!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Yes i do, i ride these roads up north frequently, 20,000 kilometers in 5 months on a bike. Saying roads last only a couple of seasons is pure speculation from someone who has obviously never traveled them often. Maybe in a little village with soi dogs running around the wat. But for the most part thai roads are excellent. There are even roads which have been designated as scenic routes and have been paved with the scenery in mind. Paving a road only to last a couple of seasons seems extremely counterproductive, and i dare to say you are mistaken !

Get out of bangkok or your little village and stop speculating, there is road work worldwide no matter where you go and being in thailand doesnt make them anymore inferior than any other place on earth. If you cant slow down before seeing an upcoming pothole, you will trash your ride wherever you live.

Wow, your chain really does rattle doesn't it. I have no idea why you have come out with all guns blazing on a simple observation that should not have upset anyone. As for getting out of my small Village in Sanpagwan well, for the past 20 odd years I have been driving from here down to the Emerald triangle as well as the south and around the north. I have seen the roads evolve and get better over the years. I learnt a long time ago, when I had a low slung saloon car that it was the wrong type of vehicle for driving across country because you never knew what you would come across. As for seeing holes well in advance, this is true. It doesnt help though when you occasionally get diverted across paddy fields though because the road is blocked or a new bridge is being built and you have to follow in the ruts of large trucks. Many roads are built for a short life span, it all depends on the highway department in the area you are in. Even the once excellent roads around Khon Kaen are falling apart especially on the east side. and yes, I too ride a bike. I still dont know where this ''hatin'' rich Thais came from. Or where this ''yes I do ride'' comes from, I dont believe I ever questioned it. And yet, you seem to presume to know where I live and have the arrogance to give out advice. Please, get off your high horse and leave your false indignation where it belongs, it aint on here!

Seems to me your previous post below would make you the king of assumptions riding atop an especially high horse yourself. But whatever, your the man in your potholed mooban. In my 16 years in Thailand ive never been diverted through a paddy field, how could you there full of water.

Of course one phenomena here is that some will put a downpayment on a car they can never hope to afford and enjoy driving it around for 6 months before it gets reposessed. Just because someone is driving around in a new posh car doesnt mean they will have it for long. Those that remember the crash at the end of the 90's may also remember all the repo Mercs parked in Tescos (Hangdong Road) car park trying to find an owner!

Pathetic to see how many people on this thread take cars seriously. Especially in the cities of Chiang Mai or Bkk, where your expensive gadget will spend most of its life sitting in insane traffic jams, while the owners sit there fuming in the fumes and gradually watching the world come to a standstill.

A lot of these easy bank loans sound like the frenzy of the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Thailand's turn next to discover the consequences of unbridled lending and spending.

Well, on the other hand, there should be some cheap houses and condos to pick up in CM and BKK in a year or two.....

Really, what do you like and enjoy? some people of differencing opinion might find your pleasures in life ridiculous.

I for one like cars, I always have. I like to see them, I like to drive them, I like to have an opinion on them.

Sitting in a traffic jam in filtered air in absolute comfort in something you take pride in might not be something you understand, its certainly better than being trapped in a crowd at Asoke BTS or being stuck in a Jam in a tuk tuk, or taking a kamakaze moto-taxi... each to their own. Because you fail to understand someone else’s opinion does not make it pathetic.

Someone who takes pleasure in "sitting in a traffic jam in filtered air" [ha ha] needs their head wrapping, seriously.

Without, I assume, a moment's thought to how much your idling car is contributing to the general pollution of whichever city you happen to reside in.

Pathetic to see how many people on this thread take cars seriously. Especially in the cities of Chiang Mai or Bkk, where your expensive gadget will spend most of its life sitting in insane traffic jams, while the owners sit there fuming in the fumes and gradually watching the world come to a standstill.

A lot of these easy bank loans sound like the frenzy of the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Thailand's turn next to discover the consequences of unbridled lending and spending.

Well, on the other hand, there should be some cheap houses and condos to pick up in CM and BKK in a year or two.....

Really, what do you like and enjoy? some people of differencing opinion might find your pleasures in life ridiculous.

I for one like cars, I always have. I like to see them, I like to drive them, I like to have an opinion on them.

Sitting in a traffic jam in filtered air in absolute comfort in something you take pride in might not be something you understand, its certainly better than being trapped in a crowd at Asoke BTS or being stuck in a Jam in a tuk tuk, or taking a kamakaze moto-taxi... each to their own. Because you fail to understand someone else’s opinion does not make it pathetic.

Someone who takes pleasure in "sitting in a traffic jam in filtered air" [ha ha] needs their head wrapping, seriously.

Without, I assume, a moment's thought to how much your idling car is contributing to the general pollution of whichever city you happen to reside in.

Some people focus on what makes them happy.

Others focus on what makes them unhappy. Or on what they think other people should not be happy about.

I know which side I am on.... love the nice cars, particularly the R8 and all new BMWs around nimman... I know why too, because these cars are tailor made to make me want them - I am squarely in the target market. It works, too :)

Some people focus on what makes them happy.

Others focus on what makes them unhappy. Or on what they think other people should not be happy about.

I know which side I am on.... love the nice cars, particularly the R8 and all new BMWs around nimman... I know why too, because these cars are tailor made to make me want them - I am squarely in the target market. It works, too smile.png

Exactly, to me it's like seeing a piece of art. I can say that I am jealous of those who can afford it, especially here. But I am also happy with the path that I have taken in life, even if it doesn't mean big bucks.

For me, I love american muscle, there are some rare sightings in LOS, especially rare to see an American V8. Something about a lumpy cam does it for me.

I noticed that too when I was in Laos last. A lot of expensive cars

Another post I said the same, was told that tax was very small in Laos.......

No idea how true....... Did see a few 6,2 AMG Benz there, was told the price was just about 9 million in baht.......... here in Thailand about 24 million !! + that all makes were less than 1/2 Thailand prices.

I noticed that too when I was in Laos last. A lot of expensive cars

Another post I said the same, was told that tax was very small in Laos.......

No idea how true....... Did see a few 6,2 AMG Benz there, was told the price was just about 9 million in baht.......... here in Thailand about 24 million !! + that all makes were less than 1/2 Thailand prices.

That is an amazing difference in price!

Please don't cherry pick your own unbalanced conclusions from my post.

No one takes pleasure in being stuck in a traffic jam. I do however take comfort in the knowledge of the fact that when I am unlucky enough encounter the worst part of motoring (the traffic jam) I'm not in a taxi, a tuk tuk or walking up a sweat.

If I had a luxury sports car I can sit back and relax in comfort... And, when I'm out of the traffic Jam I could enjoy my motoring more than I would in a regular car.

IMO: With the right car, the Worst part of Motoring, still beats the best part of public transport…..Well, IMO any car does, and a luxury car beats an average one at the very same game.

All other things being equal: If you are given a choice between a business class flight and an economy class flight would you really consider your carbon footprint before making the choice ? Please don’t bring environmental hypocrisy into this discussion.

There's none so blind as those who can't see.

theres obviously some peple in here who know their cars so just out of interest can anyone tell

me what this was that flew past me last year ?

dave2

Looks like the new Aventador. rolleyes.gif

Nope, it's a Murciélago LP 640. The Aventador has much slimmer taillights.

Daily Telegraph, March 4, 2012:

So we have a remarkable situation. China alone will be adding 125m cars to its roads over the next five years, with auto production targets of 30m annually by 2016. India is spending $1 trillion on infrastructure projects over the next five years.

Variants of this are happening across Asia and Latin America.

The picture is by now well-known to Telegraph readers. Two billion people in the emerging world are joining the global economy and competing toe-to-toe for scarce resources with the West. Their rising demand - not our declining demand - will set oil prices.

Edited by blazes

theres obviously some peple in here who know their cars so just out of interest can anyone tell

me what this was that flew past me last year ?

dave2

Looks like the new Aventador. rolleyes.gif

Nope, it's a Murciélago LP 640. The Aventador has much slimmer taillights.

You're right - my mistake; and the Aventador has a different width at the tailpipes.

Seems to me your previous post below would make you the king of assumptions riding atop an especially high horse yourself. But whatever, your the man in your potholed mooban. In my 16 years in Thailand ive never been diverted through a paddy field, how could you there full of water. But that is not an assumption.  People do those things and those Repo Mercs were in Tescos car park.  I do not have a horse high or low, I am merely responding to a particulary agressive response from you. You are wrongly, yet again, assuming that my village has pot holes, fortunately it does not.  If you have been around CNX for 16 years you perhaps should remember the fracas in Hangdong over the building of an incinerator.  The local inhabitants threw rubbish across the road and traffic on the Hangdong Highway was diverted across paddy fields, or the tracks around them.  Not so long back truckers protesting about freight rates blocked off the highway at Denchai.  A diversion was put in place.  Have a guess where.......yup, dirt tracks around the paddy fields.  Like I said originally you never know and if you have a low slung sports car you might end up with problems, depending of course where you drive.  The other poster replied that he was sticking with his Range Rover, lucky him.By the way you still have not answered where this ''hatin'' rich Thais came from in your post.  Have a nice day!P.S The inner lane on parts of the Ubon bypass are badly rippled by heavy trucks.  If you are driving your Lambo on the Ubon bypass stay in the outside lane!Was on it this morning.

Edited by Dellboy218

There are some interesting observations from different perspectives on this topic. And, it would be easy to have a little fun with it. However, I've ridden all over the north of Thailand and I DO know how the highways change dramatically from one location to another. As much as I love fancy, low slung cars, I wouldn't want one in Thailand. The highways ARE too inconsistent. I never see that in North America and I've put on millions of miles all over Canada and the USA. On a simple recent ride on the 600 km Mae Hong Son loop from Chiang Mai I noticed at least 5 sections where half the highway was missing... and with only a marker cone placed right before the drop-off. I wouldn't want to drive that road at night. That would never happen in North America. My two bad accidents were both caused by fresh oil on the road on hairpin corners. Again, that is something I've never encountered in 55 years of driving all over North America.

We've wandered a bit off topic but that is only natural because of different perspectives. It is easy to make comparisons between the wealthy and the poor in Thailand because simple observations make it obvious. Averages don't mean a thing. If you take any time to observe the obvious you'll notice that most of the middle class workers are earning somewhere between 6000 and 10,000 baht a month. They don't have the option of buying much more than a Honda scooter. And, even those are bought on time with a markup of 20% to 30% interest charges. Motorbike shops are FULL of repossessions.

I don't mix with the upper class Chinese-Thais who seem to hold a lot of the wealth in Thailand, but I've met with many of their employees who earn a bit more than minimum wages. 30 years ago in North America it was relatively easy to earn big money if anyone was willing to work, and smart enough to invest what they saved. But, the leaders of North America have reversed that trend for their own greed, and are following in the steps of feudal leaders of ancient Asian cultures.

There are some interesting observations from different perspectives on this topic. And, it would be easy to have a little fun with it. However, I've ridden all over the north of Thailand and I DO know how the highways change dramatically from one location to another. As much as I love fancy, low slung cars, I wouldn't want one in Thailand. The highways ARE too inconsistent. I never see that in North America and I've put on millions of miles all over Canada and the USA. On a simple recent ride on the 600 km Mae Hong Son loop from Chiang Mai I noticed at least 5 sections where half the highway was missing... and with only a marker cone placed right before the drop-off. I wouldn't want to drive that road at night. That would never happen in North America. My two bad accidents were both caused by fresh oil on the road on hairpin corners. Again, that is something I've never encountered in 55 years of driving all over North America.

We've wandered a bit off topic but that is only natural because of different perspectives. It is easy to make comparisons between the wealthy and the poor in Thailand because simple observations make it obvious. Averages don't mean a thing. If you take any time to observe the obvious you'll notice that most of the middle class workers are earning somewhere between 6000 and 10,000 baht a month. They don't have the option of buying much more than a Honda scooter. And, even those are bought on time with a markup of 20% to 30% interest charges. Motorbike shops are FULL of repossessions.

I don't mix with the upper class Chinese-Thais who seem to hold a lot of the wealth in Thailand, but I've met with many of their employees who earn a bit more than minimum wages. 30 years ago in North America it was relatively easy to earn big money if anyone was willing to work, and smart enough to invest what they saved. But, the leaders of North America have reversed that trend for their own greed, and are following in the steps of feudal leaders of ancient Asian cultures.

Yes Ian and if you happen to drive through Nam Nao national park you will still find one part of the western track still not repaired. Where the lane slipped down the hillside a short wooden bridge stands with short but steepish on/off ramps. I guess it will be there for some time. The hill section south of Denchai still is not finished and I dont suppose it will be for some time, that is very rough in places. Apart form that the usual heavy rippling of the tarmac in places from trucks that are too heavy and tarmac that is too thin. For what its worth, in the area from where my wife comes from, most people, farmers that is, buy their small Hondas/Yamahas/Suzukis on a 4 year deal. After 4 years they end up paying double. Literally. And as you remark, if they cannot continue to pay, the shop takes the bike back although they probably already have been paid the value of the bike. I also note a surprising number of the 150 sports bikes with the two young lads and the blacked out helmets. Their numbers appear to be on the rise again. I would say unfortunately but perhaps some would argue that they provide a service.

I don't know if you remember but there was a number of copies of Lambo'Ferrari's (can never tell the difference) knocking around Chiang Mai about 15 or so years ago. The VW beetle wheels I remember did look a bit odd. A Thai friend of mine commented at the time that they were made in Nakhon Sawan. I havnt seen any for quite a while though. I do not remember seeing any real ones around here, only the odd Lotus and MGF along with the fancy Merc sports car.

Excuse me for interrupting the bickering and fixating about potholes, paddy fields and the width of Lambo pipeworks, but to my simple mind there is a simple answer to the OP.

There are not that many smart cars in CM. Look around at the fleets of pick-ups and Japanese runabouts. The rare glimpse of a Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche or whatever, just stands out like a beer in Salt Lake City (or a genuine joke in a Mitt Romney speech to continue the Mormon theme).

Even today if you take a walk down a smart street in London's Notting Hill or a squint at an upscale shopping mall, like Short Hills in Chatham, NJ, let alone the expensive neighbourhoods of Dubai, Singapore, Doha or Hong Kong, you will see expensive cars everywhere.

Until wealth really starts to trickle down to a genuine middle class sightings of expensive cars in CM will remain just that of playthings of rich Bangkok types who got one of their staff to drive the thing up here while they fly.

Edited by folium

To answer the OP's question...

The wealth here is spread out a lot more fairly than it is back "home". There are huge numbers of self employed people here. Also, taxes for most people here are almost nonexistent. Result: people are a lot more richer than you would expect given the income per capita.

The wealth here is spread out a lot more fairly than it is back "home". There are huge numbers of self employed people here. Also, taxes for most people here are almost nonexistent. Result: people are a lot more richer than you would expect given the income per capita.

Oh, so it's the self-employed people, the ones driving songthaews and tuk-tuks, setting up temporary noodle restaurants on sidewalks, selling fruits from pushcarts, and the subsistence farmers, that have the money to buy the expensive cars. I thought most of their money went into operating expenses, loan sharks, and tea money to the police so they could stay in business.

Silly me, I was under the impression that most of these small business owners would ditch their food carts in an instant if they were offered a modestly paid government job with steady pay, health insurance and a pension plan.

As a mathematics teacher, I'm still struggling with your claim "people are a lot more richer than you would expect given the income per capita." Help me out, how is that possible?

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

Conspicuous consumption is why we see as many mechanical hi-so toys about - well, hi-baht toys, anyway.

As is said in Fiddler on the Roof, "...If you got it, flaunt it, flaunt it!"

Hereabouts, I do not believe luxury autos to be (as a percentage of the many other vehicles, including the essential family two-wheelers) very numerous. Depends where you have experienced percentages earlier in life how it strikes you. If we recognize an establishment here, and foreigners gratifying themselves, but also take full note of others, glossy gas guzzlers are not many. It ain't Monte Carlo.

If anything is surprising to the stranger, I suppose that it might be the number of other cars that drive the streets, the family types, the compacts, the sub-compacts and the tired old ones (not to mention trucks!). Asia's evolutions are all but shocking to the less informed.

We've been dancing around the subject, but one thought that's implied is that materialism is continuing to replace entitlement and Budhism here as core values, as is has been the case in the west (entitlement and religion) since industrialization reared its head.

(Off topic, but I love the movement encouraged by government that puts on the market low-taxed fuel-efficient 'city' cars. Taken with the first-time buyer discount, it may alert Thais to the advantages of being a decent citizen with regard to global warming. Alas, probably not.)

Edited by CMX

Excuse me for interrupting the bickering and fixating about potholes, paddy fields and the width of Lambo pipeworks, but to my simple mind there is a simple answer to the OP.

There are not that many smart cars in CM. Look around at the fleets of pick-ups and Japanese runabouts. The rare glimpse of a Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche or whatever, just stands out like a beer in Salt Lake City (or a genuine joke in a Mitt Romney speech to continue the Mormon theme).

Even today if you take a walk down a smart street in London's Notting Hill or a squint at an upscale shopping mall, like Short Hills in Chatham, NJ, let alone the expensive neighbourhoods of Dubai, Singapore, Doha or Hong Kong, you will see expensive cars everywhere.

Until wealth really starts to trickle down to a genuine middle class sightings of expensive cars in CM will remain just that of playthings of rich Bangkok types who got one of their staff to drive the thing up here while they fly.

I think that this is about right what you've said here...there are not to many exotic cars in CM,but you can see them more over the "winter" time and most of them do have a BKK plates,because they do come from BKK...

I don't understand the concept of wealth being "spread out fairly" in the first place - the fundamental goal should be to create as level as possible a "playing field" - rewards should accumulate based on ability and performance rather than family connections.

To that extent although the US is every bit as "unfair" statistically as Thailand, the elite here perpetuate a system that keeps their competitors down. The US gives far more opportunity for the children of poor people to move up.

Other parts of the developed world are certainly more "fair" in income distribution, and may or may not encourage social mobility as much as the US.

In both the US and Thailand, you have 10-20% that control the means of production. A fundamental difference is that in the US you have a huge percentage that at least has access to decent "lifestyle" - nutrition, housing, education, healthcare and of course less essential consumer goods. Here over half the citizens are dirt poor, barely subsistence-level peasants. The social structure here makes it nearly impossible for kids from that background to gain the skills needed to compete in the modern economy, except through antisocial and criminal paths.

Sorry mate but if you went on tour in a Lambo you would probably get as far as the first road works or hole in the road. Its nice to dream but there is a reason why you do not see many of those nice motors on tour!

Well, I allow myself to disagree with this. Roads are rather good in Thailand. Some stretches very good.

It is great fun to drive such cars in Thailand, on the roads or in the mountains.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Sorry mate but if you went on tour in a Lambo you would probably get as far as the first road works or hole in the road. Its nice to dream but there is a reason why you do not see many of those nice motors on tour!

Well, I allow myself to disagree with this. Roads are rather good in Thailand. Some stretches very good.

It is great fun to drive such cars in Thailand, on the roads or in the mountains.

This is Amazing and it would seen Thai is not affected in world recession 2012

http://www.thailand.bentleymotors.com/current-models/current-model-overview/

Edited by SausageKing

Had a friend visiting from Colombia last November who couldn't get over how everyone here seems to drive a new car. She also observed that more Thais have high end cell phones and digital cameras. Statistics show that Thailand and Colombia are relatively close on GDP per capita and average income (though there are more poor and unemployed Colombians).

Two factors here

Statistically "GDP per capita" and "average income" are the same thing - the difference is how that wealth is distributed (Gini coefficient is one measure). It seems that although Thailand is indeed one of the most unequal in the world (10% of the population controls 80% of the capital) Columbia is even more so. The fact that the black market economic activity is likely even more dominant in Columbia probably makes the real wealth distribution even more narrow there.

Culture: status ("face") is more important to most Thais than life itself, certainly more important than being financially responsible. Other than clothes/makeup, one's car and gadgets are primary tools to display status, and even those barely above the poverty line will get deep into debt to appear wealthier than they are. Basically anyone who would presume to own a car here wouldn't dream of driving a beater - the shame would far outweigh any practical advantages.

I just thought of a third factor - both cars and electronics are produced here in large quantities, so although at the high end we're talking about imports in both cases, the general perception would be reinforced by the fact that many Thais are carrying/driving relatively less expensive locally-produced hardware.

So at one end of the spectrum, there's some locally produced cheap crap. And at the other end of the spectrum, there's over-taxed expensive imports. What cars in the Thai car market lie in the "sweet spot" for value for money? What locally assembled cars are the best?

And what determines the tax rate on imports - is it a flat tax based on a % markup, or are there gradings depending on engine size etc etc?

Culture: status ("face") is more important to most Thais than life itself, certainly more important than being financially responsible. Other than clothes/makeup, one's car and gadgets are primary tools to display status, and even those barely above the poverty line will get deep into debt to appear wealthier than they are. Basically anyone who would presume to own a car here wouldn't dream of driving a beater - the shame would far outweigh any practical advantages.

This is a patently absurd explanation on so many levels. Firstly, there are more motorcycles on the road than cars. If Thais are so concerned about "face" over all else, it would seem that very few would have motorcycles, but rather go "deep into debt" (as you say) to secure a car. Not happening. And most cars that I see on the road are predominantly Japanese, and not nearly all new. So which Thais are you talking about, just the ones that drive new, Euro cars? And none of them can afford it? You're overblowing this whole "face" notion, which is typical. It seems that when farangs bring up this term, all logic goes out the window.

There are certainly some folks in every country who choose to drive a car that they really can't afford. And Thailand, like every other country, has their share of these type folks. Unless you're suggesting that car owners in the west have "face" issues also? That, I would agree with.

So at one end of the spectrum, there's some locally produced cheap crap. And at the other end of the spec

Most (damned near all) cars you see out there in front of you are locally produced. This includes almost all BMWs and Mercs except for some specialist high performance models that are very rare.

They are not crap.