Mountain Biking Trails In Hua Hin ?

foggy1

Hi All

Im coming to Hua Hin to mountain bike for 5 days tomorrow. Is there anyone locally that can show me some challenging trails mountains/hills or possibly have gps Garmin down load available for me to follow. ?

I know theres a shop there that do guided trails but Im on a budget and afford there prices.

Many thanks inadvance for any help or pointers and info leads to a beer reward :-)

Cheers

Foggy1

• 1 year later...

At Facebook there is a group called "HuaHin downhill"

+++ from another recourse on Internet.....

I've made quite a few trips to Hua Hin this year. Each was super fun and even before it was over, I was already planning the next visit.

But the town's famous beach was never on the itinerary. I was there purely for downhill mountain biking.

Like Chiang Mai, this seaside resort of Prachuap Khiri Khan has the potential to promote biking as its next big attraction. And during my latest trip there I was shown a place that confirmed such belief.

And it wasn't some faraway mountain. It's that same old Khao Hin Lek Fai on the western edge of the small town.

You'll see that the peak with the observation deck, which is where the original DH tracks are located, is just a small portion of the hilly terrain marked in green. Yes, Khao Hin Lek Fai has a lot more to offer.

The photos you see in today's article were taken from the northwestern part of the hills. This area was once a quarry. Local mountain bikers and officers of the Wang Klai Kangwon Forest Fire Control Office which oversees Khao Hin Lek Fai are pondering the idea of turning it into a bike park, not a commercial one but a place where mountain bikers from anywhere can come and have a heck of a good time free of charge.

If you enjoy freeride or downhill mountain biking, I bet you're already imagining you and your trusted bike ramming down those rough slopes. There are also countless drops for you to test your guts and practice your skills.

The long-abandoned road up the hill may not be so easy to navigate for a 4X4 pickup but they are perfect for bikes. Further from the end of the road, a narrow trail leads to an open area on the hilltop from where you can have a refreshing view of the northern part of the town and the sea beyond.

According to Khun Ae of Velo Hua Hin bike shop, who is leading the survey team, with permission from the forest fire office a network of single tracks could be created, including some new DH trails.

"While enjoying our sport, bikers can at the same time help the rangers with patrol work. Any sign of illegal activities in the area will not go unnoticed," he said. In the dream project, a camping ground with public toilet and a small shop where family members of the lowly-paid forest workers can sell food and beverages for extra income may be located at the foothill.

"The natural atmosphere is lovely here. So different from the beach and market areas," he added.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it? But there's another thing that I find most exciting.

The other end of the canyon, which must be about 200-250m long, is found on the hilltop. Satellite imagery from Google Earth shows that it goes in a straight line, although it is not clear how well both ends are connected.

If it is possible to travel through, bikers can ride to the hilltop via the old road and enjoy an adrenaline rush coming down through the narrow walled passage.

From my observation, this possible DH section isn't a gradual slope but tiered like a series of waterfalls.

And that means there will be a number of drops, some of which will be pretty tall too.

Only ground survey in the canyon would reveal whether it's rideable.

Who knows, one day this place might even make it on the Tourism Authority of Thailand's new set of posters.

Actually, I'm already imagining some awesome photographs which people would be taking once the trails are cleared and ready to be ridden.