2012 All Food Related.Restaurants,Recipes, Suggestions Etc... Best Pizza, Hamburger,Thai Food, Seafood,European Food.......

Kokomiko

This restaurant is located just down (toward Huathanon) from the Lamai Post Office on the same side (just passed the driving range).

The highlight is the steaks. There are a number of different sauces, most based on some sort of wine recipe, that define the menu item as the meat itself is the same for each. And the two pieces of beef that are "the steak" are very good quality and put a very interesting counterpoint to the meats served at Bondi for three times the price of Kokomiko.

Steaks are 255 baht (265 for the Kokomiko special) and include a fresh garden salad with homemade oil and vinegar dressing (yummy), a small side of asparagus+broccoli+carrots, and your choice of fries or mashed potatoes (and I think one other choice but I forget). The mashed potatoes are the real deal and they give you a huge serving.

This restaurant must have been mentioned in a prior thread before the purge of old posts; it's clearly a not-very-well-kept secret since there are always people there. And it only opens in the evening.

I think it has some connection with a German, since there is a tri-lingual menu. But I am sure someone out there knows more than me about this place.

The menu is pretty big on both Western food and Thai, and if I wasn't so smitten with the steaks, I'd sample other things; I have a feeling I would be pleased.

As I said before, it makes the whole 600 baht steak experience from Bondi a really pathetic joke. Try Kokomiko, you'll see.

• Like 1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kokomiko

This restaurant is located just down (toward Huathanon) from the Lamai Post Office on the same side (just passed the driving range).

The highlight is the steaks. There are a number of different sauces, most based on some sort of wine recipe, that define the menu item as the meat itself is the same for each. And the two pieces of beef that are "the steak" are very good quality and put a very interesting counterpoint to the meats served at Bondi for three times the price of Kokomiko.

Steaks are 255 baht (265 for the Kokomiko special) and include a fresh garden salad with homemade oil and vinegar dressing (yummy), a small side of asparagus+broccoli+carrots, and your choice of fries or mashed potatoes (and I think one other choice but I forget). The mashed potatoes are the real deal and they give you a huge serving.

This restaurant must have been mentioned in a prior thread before the purge of old posts; it's clearly a not-very-well-kept secret since there are always people there. And it only opens in the evening.

I think it has some connection with a German, since there is a tri-lingual menu. But I am sure someone out there knows more than me about this place.

The menu is pretty big on both Western food and Thai, and if I wasn't so smitten with the steaks, I'd sample other things; I have a feeling I would be pleased.

As I said before, it makes the whole 600 baht steak experience from Bondi a really pathetic joke. Try Kokomiko, you'll see.

Ahh, now this brings back good old memories. Kokomiko has been around for years. It was originally in the centre of Lamai Beach skirting the very old (now replaced with Am Samui Palace I believe) horse shoe bar area. When I first moved here 18 years ago it was one of the few places you could get a good western(German) meal. His(yes a German) and his Thai wife did amazing food in those days. The schnitzels were huge portions and the different sauces were exceptionally tasty. The Huntsman schnitzel with a creamy mushroom sauce was unbelievably yummy and good value. I believe he has moved on to bigger and better things using his knack with computers and is involved with that huge 'hello' (in Thai) web company, but he is still probably involved with the restaurant. Haven't been there for years as moved away from Lamai area but good to know they are still in business and doing well by the sounds of it.

• Like 2

Kokomiko

Ahh, now this brings back good old memories. Kokomiko has been around for years. It was originally in the centre of Lamai Beach skirting the very old (now replaced with Am Samui Palace I believe) horse shoe bar area. When I first moved here 18 years ago it was one of the few places you could get a good western(German) meal. His(yes a German) and his Thai wife did amazing food in those days. The schnitzels were huge portions and the different sauces were exceptionally tasty. The Huntsman schnitzel with a creamy mushroom sauce was unbelievably yummy and good value. I believe he has moved on to bigger and better things using his knack with computers and is involved with that huge 'hello' (in Thai) web company, but he is still probably involved with the restaurant. Haven't been there for years as moved away from Lamai area but good to know they are still in business and doing well by the sounds of it.

This is the place opposite the track down to Lamai Chalet?

You know the post office in Lamai? Next to that is the golf driving range? Fifty meters on down from that on the same side of the road you will find them. Very small sign so keep your eyes peeled.

Not been there for ages and only ever eaten Thai. Very good.

Any recommendations for great Thai or western food in Maenam? I don't drive so I'll be walking or taking the songthaew. I'm staying near the traffic light at the moment.

I'd love to try Sweeney Todds but it's a Monday, so perhaps tomorrow :)

Thanks!

Royal Tandoori (40-50m N of Weekender in Lamai)

I often pop down to the food stalls next to the lady boxing and grab a lamb biryani (140 Baht and quite good) but yesterday I stopped at Royal Tandoori and got a mutton Biryani instead to take away. Rice was a little soft which I expected as Jasmine rice is not up to the job but the flavour was wonderful. The main reason I am writing this is bacause of the seriously large volume of mutton that was used. Price was 180 Baht but I got 2 dinners out of it.

Back out in a couple of days and think I may go in for a sit down for a prawn vindaloo.

I often pop down to the food stalls next to the lady boxing and grab a lamb biryani (140 Baht and quite good) but yesterday I stopped at Royal Tandoori and got a mutton Biryani instead to take away. Rice was a little soft which I expected as Jasmine rice is not up to the job but the flavour was wonderful. The main reason I am writing this is bacause of the seriously large volume of mutton that was used. Price was 180 Baht but I got 2 dinners out of it.

Back out in a couple of days and think I may go in for a sit down for a prawn vindaloo.

i used to use this indian many moons ago, and was always impressed with the portions and quilty

Tea anyone?

It's hard to find decent tea in Thailand... it was not until fairly recently that I discovered TATA tea, sometimes available at Makro, in bright green bags but last two batches I had to get at a small Burmese shop in Lamdon Market, down towards the end near the Chinese temple. It's loose tea and has what I call a "good kick"...smile.png

But I discovered a nice little tea place today in Fisherman's Village, just as you go in through the Arch... it's called Namcha.... They must have at least 15 types of tea available. Served in nice china cup and saucer... (you have to hold your pinkie in the air! wink.png )laugh.png

There was enough tea in the pot for 3 cups, served with milk and honey (not canned cream bah.gif )

The also have quiet diverse menu, from Mexican to Thai... I'm going to give them a try on their food soon... Lovely relaxing atmosphere too, so comfortable you felt you just wanted to stay.... thumbsup.gifworth a try if you want a cuppa!

Tea anyone?

It's hard to find decent tea in Thailand... it was not until fairly recently that I discovered TATA tea, sometimes available at Makro, in bright green bags but last two batches I had to get at a small Burmese shop in Lamdon Market, down towards the end near the Chinese temple. It's loose tea and has what I call a "good kick"...smile.png

But I discovered a nice little tea place today in Fisherman's Village, just as you go in through the Arch... it's called Namcha.... They must have at least 15 types of tea available. Served in nice china cup and saucer... (you have to hold your pinkie in the air! wink.png )laugh.png

There was enough tea in the pot for 3 cups, served with milk and honey (not canned cream bah.gif )

The also have quiet diverse menu, from Mexican to Thai... I'm going to give them a try on their food soon... Lovely relaxing atmosphere too, so comfortable you felt you just wanted to stay.... thumbsup.gifworth a try if you want a cuppa!

Fresh milk? Yeah right.

Tea anyone?

Fresh milk? Yeah right.

Well as I said it was not the canned stuff! that most places use ....bah.gif but then it was not straight from the cow either.... so as fresh as you get after going through Foremost and being bottled!tongue.png

Well as I said it was not the canned stuff! that most places use ....bah.gif but then it was not straight from the cow either.... so as fresh as you get after going through Foremost and being bottled!tongue.png

Granted the canned stuff is worse but I can't even drink the so called fresh stuff. I'm a massive tea drinker so I tried, I really tried for a couple of years to get used to drinking tea with the milk here but it just didn't work. Thought I would eventually get used to it but never happened. Now I just make large bottles of iced lemon tea.

Granted the canned stuff is worse but I can't even drink the so called fresh stuff. I'm a massive tea drinker so I tried, I really tried for a couple of years to get used to drinking tea with the milk here but it just didn't work. Thought I would eventually get used to it but never happened. Now I just make large bottles of iced lemon tea.

Try vodka.

Agreed some of the milk here has a strange taste.... cannot think of the brands, one is Old Dutch I think, another a Thai name? but I always found the Foremost Brand is OK, I use the lowish fat stuff (light blue cap) .... I have to think about my figure!biggrin.png

As for Rooo putting in Vodka, does that make a Black Russian? sick.gifbah.gifrolleyes.gif

Agreed some of the milk here has a strange taste.... cannot think of the brands, one is Old Dutch I think, another a Thai name? but I always found the Foremost Brand is OK, I use the lowish fat stuff (light blue cap) .... I have to think about my figure!biggrin.png

It was the texture more than anything

i used to use this indian many moons ago, and was always impressed with the portions and quilty

Been back a couple of times since and I have to say, the food has been very good. Not 100% with dates but doesn't matter anyway. Went there 5 days ago with an American friend to get some stuff for a takeout. He went for chicken korma and yellow rice which I think was 170 Baht plus 40 Baht. I did say to him it was unlikely to be saffron rice at 40 Baht and would be either all or mostly food colouring but he went with it anyway. I wanted mutton madras which wasn't on the menu so asked the waitress if she would ask in the kitchen if they could do it. She shot off to ask and no problem. I got I got it with reeta (sp?) ricke which is cooked with cummin seeds. Price for mine was 280+40 I think and was well worth the price. My friend said the yellow rice was awful. Since then I have picked up a mutton vindaloo with the same rice (same price I think) and this was also very good other than it not being as spicy as expected even though I was given the option of hot or medium.

These 3 times in total have all been take outs so I can't comment very much on the service. Great so far as ordering food even something which was not on the menu and it took 10-15 minutes.

All up 10/10 but don't bother with the yellow rice.

Where are air conditioned restaurants with wifi for customers, or can you think of any non a/c restaurants with wifi. Bangrak, Bophud, Chaweng area only.

I have seen regulars at Antica Locando in Bang Rak on-line. I think that Shambala might have wifi too - but neither are a/c. Lots of fans though.(Both do good food)

The only a/c place that I know that might do both is the Italian next to Premier Bar in Bang Rak. OK food - lousy service

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

For the cooks out there, here is a relatively low calorie diet cake to help when craving for something sweet. I tried it and it was not bad!

200 grams Tofu (Silken type - I have not tried any other)

40 grams melted chocolate - your choice (semi, dark etc)

1 Egg

60ml Soy milk (regular milk is ok)

2 tablespoons of sugar, I used brown. (The original recipe said 4-7 tablespoons, that seemed excessive)

4 tablespoons of flour (about 1/4 cup)

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1.5 tablespoons cocoa powder

Optional

Chili powder - to your taste

Total calories with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar is about 720 so good for a couple or good to eat over 2/3 days.

Getting ready...

Put the flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder in a bowl, mix well and set aside. I usually mix it and then sift it into the main bowl later.

1 - Mix the tofu in a bowl until it is smooth.

2 - Add the sugar and egg to the tofu and mix.

3 - Gently melt the chocolate with the milk... then add to the tofu, sugar and egg mix. Mix it.

4 - Add the flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder mix into the main bowl. Mix all together, pour it into a cake mould, bread mould and cook for 40 minutes at 170C.

Once done, empty the cake onto a wire rack, let cool and then enjoy it.

I was actually surprised that it tasted as good as it did. Note that the batter is pretty runny so any nuts, raisins etc you want to add will sink to the bottom. The cake does not rise very much, if at all so do not be surprised if it looks thin. Because of the tofu, the texture of the cake will not be like a usual cake, it will seem to be wet/soggy or almost look like a rough chocolate tart when sliced.

Enjoy!

Where are air conditioned restaurants with wifi for customers, or can you think of any non a/c restaurants with wifi. Bangrak, Bophud, Chaweng area only.

I have seen regulars at Antica Locando in Bang Rak on-line. I think that Shambala might have wifi too - but neither are a/c. Lots of fans though.(Both do good food)

The only a/c place that I know that might do both is the Italian next to Premier Bar in Bang Rak. OK food - lousy service

In my daily dally through the village, I suddenly remembered two more places.

Cat Can 2 has wifi - no a/c, and how could I forget Starbeach. Wifi and a/c. Starbeach is actually in Plai laem - almost opposite Easy Bar. (At the end of Soi Thongson.) Cheap food - nothing special but definitely OK. Slow service if busy.

Good luck thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Koko Miko ring road Lamai nearby the golf range and post office, I have never had a bad meal there, standards and quality have remained consistent throughout and the service is smooth, I think the only consistent thing with restauarants here are the inconsistencies!!!!.Kokomiko have decent prices good choice of Thai, Italian and Western, its always been alternative for all the oldtimer farangs to eat good western food in Lamai. Been operating for at least 10 years or more but I think it had a different location in its early days, cant remember that now!!!

Anyway I am getting off the point of why I came on line, does anyone know where I can buy Chicory Coffe, I am trying to cut down on coffee and this is the best alternative with numerous health benefits thrown in.

Thanks guys for any info, oh btw I am going to Penang soon, does aqnyone know if I can pick it up there maybe ???

• Like 1

Koko Miko ring road Lamai nearby the golf range and post office, I have never had a bad meal there, standards and quality have remained consistent throughout and the service is smooth, I think the only consistent thing with restauarants here are the inconsistencies!!!!.Kokomiko have decent prices good choice of Thai, Italian and Western, its always been alternative for all the oldtimer farangs to eat good western food in Lamai. Been operating for at least 10 years or more but I think it had a different location in its early days, cant remember that now!!!

Anyway I am getting off the point of why I came on line, does anyone know where I can buy Chicory Coffe, I am trying to cut down on coffee and this is the best alternative with numerous health benefits thrown in.

Thanks guys for any info, oh btw I am going to Penang soon, does aqnyone know if I can pick it up there maybe ???

Don't know how old you are - but in Malaysia they might still sell Camp Coffee.

Chicory coffee in liquid form. It used to be a favourite in the 1950's and 60's in the UK.

Don't know how old you are - but in Malaysia they might still sell Camp Coffee.

Chicory coffee in liquid form. It used to be a favourite in the 1950's and 60's in the UK.

Well Im old enough to remember my Grandma used to make me a cup of camp coffee for me when I used to pay her a visit, I must have had my first cup was when I was about 7 years old, those were the days of Dandelion and Burdock pop, tinned peaches with carnation milk, and many more goodies.

So yes I know about camp coffee, but I think it has a fair amount of caffeine and sugar in it , and I wanted to find the raw stuff if possible.

...and if I cut the thermostat?

As Poorsucker says, unlikey at best that the heating element would generate enough heat. The unit would also not have been designed for the level of heat involved. All in all.... oil being heated by a unit with the saftey switch disabled and not rated to the heat. Very high risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to various places the last 12 days and really havent been to a place that we disliked, but we mostly been to places we dined at the last two vacations, but did visit a few new places and one we been to a few times now is Stonefish restaurant located at Chaweng lake road, at food market just next to Mitra.

Great food and very good service at cheap prices.

Their seafood is really great and so are their whole fish grilled with sweet and sour.

yummy.

Last night we had.

300 grams of grilled prawns with spicy sweet and sour.

1 papaya salad

1 dish of grilled tigerprawns with garlic pepper.

2x garlicbread

1 x rice

1 tequila sunrise

1 archie drink

1 water

2 large singha beers.

Everything was really nice and bill was 780 bath.

Stonefish restaurant worth a visit imo.

Seems like there is quite a few good restaurants at that food market on lake road.

Also been to Mitra a couple of times and that is also very nice and cheap.

• Like 1