2012 All Food Related.Restaurants,Recipes, Suggestions Etc... Best Pizza, Hamburger,Thai Food, Seafood,European Food.......

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know a restaurant in Lamai that serves Chinese food? I'm thinking of a nice Kung Pao chicken, Satay or Mongolian Lamb. There are at least 2 indian restaurants I know of, but no chinese!

Try Dacy's Garden on the RHS around 100m up from the bridge going into town. Not on the menu so chances are you will need to order the previous day if she can make it. Owners name is Phueng, say Johnno sent you to stand a better chance.

I think there is only 1 Chinese in samui and that's in chaweng .. You would think there would be more !

None in Lamai up until late September as my sister was looking. I'm also surprised that there are not more offering Chinese food as it would only require a few additional ingredients to the kitchen. There was a place perhaps 50m left of The Outback which done some Chinese stuff but it closed a couple of years back.

Anyone know a restaurant in Lamai that serves Chinese food? I'm thinking of a nice Kung Pao chicken, Satay or Mongolian Lamb. There are at least 2 indian restaurants I know of, but no chinese!

Try Dacy's Garden on the RHS around 100m up from the bridge going into town. Not on the menu so chances are you will need to order the previous day if she can make it. Owners name is Phueng, say Johnno sent you to stand a better chance.

Just heard back (4am) and she doesn't know how to make it. I'll go show her how to do it at some stage because it's easy as and the only addition she would need to add her kitchen is rice wine vinegar. I didn't ask about satay because everyone knows how to cook that but Mongolian lamb could be an issue. I'll show her how to do HK style salt and pepper squid too but perhaps other members would like to add dishes I can show her how to do without without going into seriously regional stuff. Chicken in black bean sauce perhaps? Please note that at no stage will I cook for sale as I don't have a work permit.

Anyway, few ideas would be good. No Chinese in Lamai does seem bad and I'm sure there is a market even if small.

There's a brand new Food Center in Chaweng on the beach road, right above Burger King that has loads of little restaurants inside, kind of like an upscale version of Tesco's food court - so far I've had a few salads from a place called Fit Food there which was really tasty and fresh, they import loads of 'farang' foods like buffalo mozarella and artichokes etc, they also do fruit shakes and protein shakes, great for me cos i've been looking high and low for a place to eat healthy but big and delicious salads.

The Khao ka moo (not sure if that's how you spell it phonetically) steamed chicken with rice is also amazing. There's sushi, pizza and pasta too as well as bbq and loads of other thai food although I haven't tried those. Not to pricey either which is also a plus! biggrin.png

Not sure if it's the same one - but there is The Black Sheep (Il Pecora Nero ???? Apologies to Italians for my spelling).

Where is this place, Trop?

It's in Choengmon (NE end of the island).

If you drive from Big Buddha to Choengmon - just as you enter the village, on the right. Before a big restaurant called the Long Table. (Expensive - not great)

You cannot miss the Black Sheep - big pizza oven next to the pavement (sidewalk?)

Not sure if it's the same one - but there is The Black Sheep (Il Pecora Nero ???? Apologies to Italians for my spelling).

Where is this place, Trop?

It's in Choengmon (NE end of the island).

If you drive from Big Buddha to Choengmon - just as you enter the village, on the right. Before a big restaurant called the Long Table. (Expensive - not great)

You cannot miss the Black Sheep - big pizza oven next to the pavement (sidewalk?)

The restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside, but my god... the food!

My mates have had to put up with my obsession with it for the past few weeks as the count down to Samui dwindles!

I think there is only 1 Chinese in samui and that's in chaweng .. You would think there would be more !

None in Lamai up until late September as my sister was looking. I'm also surprised that there are not more offering Chinese food as it would only require a few additional ingredients to the kitchen. There was a place perhaps 50m left of The Outback which done some Chinese stuff but it closed a couple of years back.

I'm pretty sure the one in Lamai that closed (which was in the same alcove as the Black Diamond) closed because the owner got deported for working illegally. He was a Chinese Malaysian named Albert. I used to go there a lot and it was quite decent, although he didn't have a big range of dishes.

I'm puzzled like the other posters as to what would be so difficult about Chinese food. It uses mostly the same ingredients as Thai food, except for the sauces.

Edited by ydraw

I'm pretty sure the one in Lamai that closed (which was in the same alcove as the Black Diamond) closed because the owner got deported for working illegally. He was a Chinese Malaysian named Albert. I used to go there a lot and it was quite decent, although he didn't have a big range of dishes.

I'm puzzled like the other posters as to what would be so difficult about Chinese food. It uses mostly the same ingredients as Thai food, except for the sauces.

I for one love western chinese food and miss it a lot, i,m not really into indian food.

There used to be a fellow who rented a kitchen in a bar in bangrak a couple of years ago, and his curry sauce, was the nearest i,ve got to it in samui, but he closed due to a lack of customers, he was english but had been taught in chinese shop in england.

The other chinese shops in chaweng, just didnt get the sauces right,and thats whats needed.

I think they cant get the ingredientes here.

Orgasmic.

I was luck enough to be taken here the other night. And I didn't pay!clap2.gif

Just outside Fishermans, on the left heading towards Bangrak, just before the hill.

The place isn't really visible from the road, and is right on the beach – at the very end of the bay, so no-one wanders by trying to flog you anything. You walk over a little bridge and then enter the open restaurant. (There is a covered area above the kitchens as well, and a small dining sala.) Great lighting, usually a good breeze, lots of trees and the sea of course. And plenty of room; you aren't really aware of other diners. Perfect for that special dinner. Certainly romantic.

It is the kind of place where you are spoken to in excellent english, with kapom instead of khrap. And with cold towels and a small appetiser (free) as you look through the menu. (Take reading glasses, to use with their little torches.rolleyes.gif)

A great Euro/Thai menu. Duck, steak, fish etc alongside traditional Thai. Fusion is what it is called, I am told.tongue.png Mains around the THB 500 mark, so with a glass of wine (house, Shiraz I think, none of this Mont Clair khrap) at THB 180, and a starter/dessert, you are looking at a bill of 1,000 per head easily. (Service charge is extra.) Many of the mains come with extras not advertised; small plates of roasted swede (I think) and a stuffed tomato, for example. The duck I had was very tasty.

On a previous occasion I ate Thai food, which appears pricey, but for example, the shrimp fried rice had the largest and tastiest shrimps I have ever seen on Samui.w00t.gif All the food is beautifully presented. Excellent service. And the boss and chef pop over to double check – a nice touchthumbsup.gif

In the high season and with great weather, probably best to make a reservation – especially if you want one of the half dozen seaside tables.

• Like 2

Orgasmic is my fave restaurant on the island!

I would go simply for the chocolate dessert! licklips.gif

Orgasmic is my fave restaurant on the island!

I would go simply for the chocolate dessert! licklips.gif

The Sabayon is heavenly!

Chantra, you are correct. Fisherman's Outlet is a good little restaurant. licklips.gif

Unfortunately it is about an hour's drive from my little hut and there are a shed load of other places inbetween. I suspect that the population spread of TV readers on the island would put most in the north end. Hence most restaurants reviewed come from that area.

However, please keep on updating the site with any other little gems - there are lots around, just hard to find at times.

• Like 2

A couple of other great "English" breakfast places which are well worth a try in Bangrak are Bangrak Cafe (a couple of doors down from Cafe Uno) and Petcherat Marina. Petcherat Marina also does the best burgers I have had on the island too.

Good recommendation there sketcher - we have just tried Bangrak cafe. Huge breakfast - 200 baht. 2 x sausage, egg, bacon, toast and a choice of beans/toms. Also includes tea or coffee and a small juice.

So, in my search for the best "Full English", the top three are (and NOT in order of preference)

Secret Garden - for location and a nice lazy Sunday morning

Bangrak Cafe for volume and a good hearty meal.

Sweeney Todds for all round good value and good food

Next to try - Petcherat Marina. Any other good suggestions people?

Edited by Tropicalevo

A mate was visiting from Australia on his annual Thailand holiday last week, and was staying at the Ark Bar, so my gf & I spent four days and three evenings there. I'd been keen to get back there, as the last time I was there, a week before the accident, I had the Breakfast Parma, and absolutely loved it! I wanted to see if it was truly delicious, or if it was just the Magners talking that night...

I think the fact that I ate it three times last week, proves that it was!

Golden grilled crumbed chicken breast (real, plump and juicy, not flattened to a sliver, or processed 'meat'), topped with home made salsa, two eggs, bacon, then cheese, served with perfect fries.

It's probably one of those things that only Aussies will understand (indeed, it was included on the menu there thanks to an Aussie), but it really is one of those things you should try. It is amazingly delicious!

On a side note, it appears that the Ark Bar has toned down a lot since the last time I was there, as there was no Wednesday night beach party; indeed, the volume was kept low enough that we didn't need to raise our voices while eating. This makes it a much more pleasant and enjoyable eating environment.

I'm sure it was fine but you can get the same thing for 200 baht anywhere.

Lamai Wanta does a breakfast buffet every day for 250bt, including all the coffee and orange juice you can drink, cereal, Penang Curry, eggs any way you want them, Bacon, Sausages, Tomato, French Toast, Croissants, Yoghurt, fresh fruit and more.

Very good value, the only real disadvantage being that you have to be there before 10:30, which I usually am not.

Went do a Korean restaurant at Plai leam soi 10 today, "the blue garden"'

Seems to be a favorite spot for Korean expats.

Air-con place with excellent food.

Me and the wife did a buffet with 2 warm dishes and eight cold dishes for 500 baht. ;)

Will return every time I pass the road between Choenmon-Plai leam.

• Like 1

Checkout Petcharat Marina, different name now Marina club or something like that, but they serve breakfast, including full english smile.png, from quite early on in morning, and for 160 baht it is best Ive had on samui, very professionally presented, lovely view, massive portions, good coffee etc.. Took the girlfriend who had veg breakfast which was also (benefits for taking gf you get 1.25 breakfasts) very good (fruit, youghurt with cereal, omelette etc..)

Edited by matt111

Me and the wife did a buffet with 2 warm dishes and eight cold dishes for 500 baht. wink.png

Me and the wife did a buffet with 2 warm dishes and eight cold dishes for 500 baht. wink.png

Both Korean restaurants in the Choengmon area are good. They both won't win prices for having a cozy place but the food is good indeed.

I'm sure it was fine but you can get the same thing for 200 baht anywhere.

Lamai Wanta does a breakfast buffet every day for 250bt, including all the coffee and orange juice you can drink, cereal, Penang Curry, eggs any way you want them, Bacon, Sausages, Tomato, French Toast, Croissants, Yoghurt, fresh fruit and more.

Very good value, the only real disadvantage being that you have to be there before 10:30, which I usually am not.

Aloha resort does or at least did do the same thing but no hash browns and the usual overcooked streaky bacon. Was 160 Baht but been a while so no doubt gone up. Open from 6 'til 10 so after a night out go straight there and have a feed. The go out to the pool for a quick dip before a 3 hour nap on a lounger next to the pool. Set the phone alarm for 9:30 then go have another feed before heading home.