2012 All Food Related.Restaurants,Recipes, Suggestions Etc... Best Pizza, Hamburger,Thai Food, Seafood,European Food.......

I'm after Dutch style herrings in onion, in the UK they are often called rollmop or Bismark herrings. A member said in the general section that they are often available at Villa supermarkets. Is there a Villa supermarket on the island? Or, has anybody come across them as of late? I gave up looking a couple of years back because all I could find were the Swedish kind which are sweet. I have tried the canned ones from Tesco which the local cat liked.

You have the herring at Tesco.

Villa is located at Buddy's complex in Lamai.

I've only seen the tinned ones at Tesco which I gave to the local moggie after one taste. Cheers for the heads up re. Villa. I'm disabled but could certainly walk there.

They also have Swedish style herring at the imported cheese counter.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm after Dutch style herrings in onion, in the UK they are often called rollmop or Bismark herrings. A member said in the general section that they are often available at Villa supermarkets. Is there a Villa supermarket on the island? Or, has anybody come across them as of late? I gave up looking a couple of years back because all I could find were the Swedish kind which are sweet. I have tried the canned ones from Tesco which the local cat liked.

You have the herring at Tesco.

Villa is located at Buddy's complex in Lamai.

I've only seen the tinned ones at Tesco which I gave to the local moggie after one taste. Cheers for the heads up re. Villa. I'm disabled but could certainly walk there.

They also have Swedish style herring at the imported cheese counter.

I presume you mean at Tesco? Way too sweet for me. I did try putting a handful of sliced onions in a jar containing half white wine vinegar and half malt. Next day I bathed the Swedish herrings in a couple of bowls of ice water for an hour or so before putting them in the jar and leaving overnight in the fridge. Huge failure though the onions were ok.

I wonder if anyone has an original recipe for the dough that is used for Thai Roti banana, because i would like to try and make it here for me and my gf.

It's the thin kind of banana pancakes streetvendors make and has some kind of condensed milk,honey or chocolate poured over.

We had one of those the last time and it was YUMMI :)

Then i can also refresh my cookingskills a bit.

Me and my gf has worked as chefs/cooks for more than 20 years before changing careers both of us, so i should be able to learn how to make it properly ;)

The dough looks like it's almost as thin as Filo dough after beeing thrown around but way more elastic like a pizzadough, so i would assume there is a bit of oil in the dough to make it so elastic.

Thanks.

I wonder if anyone has an original recipe for the dough that is used for Thai Roti banana, because i would like to try and make it here for me and my gf.

It's the thin kind of banana pancakes streetvendors make and has some kind of condensed milk,honey or chocolate poured over.

We had one of those the last time and it was YUMMI smile.png

Then i can also refresh my cookingskills a bit.

Me and my gf has worked as chefs/cooks for more than 20 years before changing careers both of us, so i should be able to learn how to make it properly wink.png

The dough looks like it's almost as thin as Filo dough after beeing thrown around but way more elastic like a pizzadough, so i would assume there is a bit of oil in the dough to make it so elastic.

Thanks.

Yes, many people do have this recipe. We all use the same one as you'll find on the internet.

Google.............

Yes, many people do have this recipe. We all use the same one as you'll find on the internet.

Google.............

Yes i tried to search the internet for recipes, but there is like 100 different recipes some with soda,some with oil,some with ghee,some with milk etc etc, so instead of trying out all of them before i find the one that is perfect, i hoped someone down there could give me one they know worked as the ones the streetvendors have, but i guess i just give it a go, until i find one that works.

Maybe i can fish with the remaing dough in my local pond.

:)

Google.............

Yes i tried to search the internet for recipes, but there is like 100 different recipes some with soda,some with oil,some with ghee,some with milk etc etc, so instead of trying out all of them before i find the one that is perfect, i hoped someone down there could give me one they know worked as the ones the streetvendors have, but i guess i just give it a go, until i find one that works.

Maybe i can fish with the remaing dough in my local pond.

smile.png

Have you considered asking one of the vendors? I doubt they would be willing to give the exact proportions but I can't see them objecting to telling you what ingredients they use. I think it would be a good place to start.

I've just been to the new (maybe 2 months old) Thai BBQ place that is next to the International School/University of Tourism in Chaweng. In there they charge 80 baht for a large bottle of water (Tesco brand - 14 baht) and 80 baht for a large coke (24 baht). But, they dont serve them cold, so then you have to buy a bucket of ice for 50 baht, making the effective price of a 14 baht bottle of water 130 baht. Ridiculous. Needless to say I wont be returning.

I've just been to the new (maybe 2 months old) Thai BBQ place that is next to the International School/University of Tourism in Chaweng. In there they charge 80 baht for a large bottle of water (Tesco brand - 14 baht) and 80 baht for a large coke (24 baht). But, they dont serve them cold, so then you have to buy a bucket of ice for 50 baht, making the effective price of a 14 baht bottle of water 130 baht. Ridiculous. Needless to say I wont be returning.

Can't remember the prices but i seem to remember the Maenam moo kata (Thai bbq) being good food but also really overcharging on drinks and ice. Also it took ages to get the bill and the mrs didn't like the nam jim! Guess which reason it was to us not going again...

Nam jim seems like nam jim to me but there you go. We now go to the Nathon moo kata called imm jang, cheaper drinks and apparently better nam jim!!

A couple of other great "English" breakfast places which are well worth a try in Bangrak are Bangrak Cafe (a couple of doors down from Cafe Uno) and Petcherat Marina. Petcherat Marina also does the best burgers I have had on the island too.

• 2 weeks later...

The best home made fish and chips like the Chip Shop is Sweeny Todds !!!, i hated every place i had fish and chips here in thailand, but sweeny todds use only the best fish, with real batter and home cut chips, complete with loads of Tartar Sauce ! ... everyone i know who has tried thier fish and chips has said it is the best !, ( its UK run, so they know the score ! )

Finally made it to Sweeney Todd's yesterday - was very tempted by the burger, and the bangers and mash, but have had the fish and chips on my mind for a month now... They are definitely the best fish and chips I've had on Samui. Beautifully golden (and not greasy) big piece of fish, decent serve of perfectly cooked hand cut chips, and a decent serve of delicious tartare sauce. Delicious.

I almost missed it as, for some reason, I'd pictured a larger establishment in my mind. To produce such good food - which is obviously popular - from such a modest little shop is fantastic. I'll definitely be going back.

• Like 2

While I'm here...

Because of this post in another thread, I went to Tropicana the other night. Unfortunately, I was brought up on the Australian bastardised pizza - one with masses of toppings - so was very underwhelmed by Tropicana's fare. Sure, they could probably be good if you like authentic Italian pizza, with minimal toppings (and too much cheese IMO), but I don't, so I can't give them a thumbs up.

My girlfriend had lasagne, which was edible, but by no means delicious. Won't be going back.

While I'm here...

Because of this post in another thread, I went to Tropicana the other night. Unfortunately, I was brought up on the Australian bastardised pizza - one with masses of toppings - so was very underwhelmed by Tropicana's fare. Sure, they could probably be good if you like authentic Italian pizza, with minimal toppings (and too much cheese IMO), but I don't, so I can't give them a thumbs up.

My girlfriend had lasagne, which was edible, but by no means delicious. Won't be going back.

I should have mentioned that in my post, just saying IMO doesn't really say anything at all. I was raised on UK pizza which for the most part is very alike Aussie pizza. A good meat feast with fresh chillies and a handful of sliced black olives. As I mentioned in the post you linked to, I simply can't eat large heavy meals anymore and can't even finish the Tropicana pizzas. This is why I missed what I think you saw regarding the sides/dips at Barrio Latino. They are perfect size for the things I order but if they are putting out the same size for a main then no way it is enough.

Around Bangrak when you are hungry.

I eat out a lot. Often because I am too lazy to cook for just one person sad.png , so I enjoy the company and it is a good reason to smarten myself up a bit and practise my Thai. I also prefer the choice a restaurant offers over my fridge! So, with that in mind, here are 4 places I visit regularly and I always enjoy each meal. They are consistent, the food always tastes fresh, and the service is good. I have not had a bad experience at any of these places. Cost is about the same, THB 300-350 for 2 courses and 2 glasses of wine. Skip the alcohol and the price is a lot lower, around 80 for each dish. Always best to go with friends as then you get to share everything. I eat the Thai food, although western stuff is available. Orchid in Choeng Mon is probably best for the foreign foods.

It goes without saying, that all of this is my personal opinion.rolleyes.gif

Tham Thai.

Beach side approaching the start of Bangrak coming from Bophut. Partial sea view, often a nice breeze, seldom busy, raised up so not too much traffic noise. (Although I sometimes enjoy the excitement of Samui traffic watching.laugh.png ) Not huge portions and the staff can tend to ignore you (me??) a bit (I have stood on a chair and waved my arms around once in the past to get their attention! In humour of course!). Lots of good (albeit predictable) Thai options. Have a couple of TVs, although you can ignore them when they are showing the Samui Channel which they assume is what I want to watch.rolleyes.gif

Shambala.

Opposite Punpreeda as you come to the end of Bangrak, next to the Pharmacy. Quite close to the road. Popular, frequented by many local expats. Always a familiar face in there, which I like. Good, honest food. The Chef (Pom) is what a good chef should be; big, smiley and busy! laugh.png They have a 1-5 ratings system for the spices, (5 could probably kill me!).They do not use MSG, and are very good at deleting ingredients if you have an allergy. (A recent visitor has a serious/dangerous nut allergy, and Shambala was the first place I took him to eat with confidence!) Many local school kids get take-aways from there for lunch, and they also supply one of the best dive tour/shops on the island. Tempura prawns are excellent, as is their simple but tasty pad thai. My favourite, possibly because they use a little more sugar than others, rolleyes.gif but mainly because they know me and give me a discount.laugh.png

U2.

A little further on past Shambala. Opposite side of the beach, just before the last 7-11. Again excellent food. Decent portions, and the wine glasses here are bigger so maybe only one glass is needed, so saving a few THB. biggrin.png

Orchid.

This is at the start of Choeng Mon, so a little further afield. Opposite the first Family Mart as you come in from Bangrak. Often full with tourists from the local hotels. Great Thai menu, although the western food seems very popular. Probably the cheapest wine per glass, staff very friendly and helpful. It has a TV showing non stop football, but usually with no sound! The fish courses are often huge, as is the yellow curry with crispy noodles. Winnie - the owner and chef - is always busy but finds time to say hello.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The best home made fish and chips like the Chip Shop is Sweeny Todds !!!, i hated every place i had fish and chips here in thailand, but sweeny todds use only the best fish, with real batter and home cut chips, complete with loads of Tartar Sauce ! ... everyone i know who has tried thier fish and chips has said it is the best !, ( its UK run, so they know the score ! )

Finally made it to Sweeney Todd's yesterday - was very tempted by the burger, and the bangers and mash, but have had the fish and chips on my mind for a month now... They are definitely the best fish and chips I've had on Samui. Beautifully golden (and not greasy) big piece of fish, decent serve of perfectly cooked hand cut chips, and a decent serve of delicious tartare sauce. Delicious.

I almost missed it as, for some reason, I'd pictured a larger establishment in my mind. To produce such good food - which is obviously popular - from such a modest little shop is fantastic. I'll definitely be going back.

So, on these recommendations - I tried ST's at lunchtime, and yes, very good fish and chips. (He even had sarson's vinegar!) So that's three in a row Dave. (And it's only 200 baht.)

Also 'er indoors was well impressed with the sausage and onion baguette with lashings of brown sauce. In all, four of us ate there and not a morsel was left, so well done. (The other two were the all day breakie and the beefburger. All have been recommended on this site before.)

Well it would seem that STs has a seriously good rep for its food. Now I just need to find someone in Lamai who is willing to go up there and get a free dinner. I don't have transport so I'd have to pay to get there and back which is going to cost me what? 4-500 Baht. Cheaper to get a lift in return for a free dinner. Is it open every day?

Well it would seem that STs has a seriously good rep for its food. Now I just need to find someone in Lamai who is willing to go up there and get a free dinner. I don't have transport so I'd have to pay to get there and back which is going to cost me what? 4-500 Baht. Cheaper to get a lift in return for a free dinner. Is it open every day?

closed on mondays...

you could go by songtow and make a day out of it?

closed on mondays...

you could go by songtow and make a day out of it?

Yeah go by songthaew on a Friday afternoon and enjoy some food then a wander around Walking Street stalls. Or better still any other day except Monday. biggrin.png

Cheers guys.

Got to be evening because I'm disabled and at this time of year with the heat even walking to the local market and back kicks the hell out of me. The songthaews refuse to go up my way because the road (road?) is too bad which means a motortaxi back home. I could walk it but even though I am ever so polite the local packs of soi dogs refuse to be friends. I use a crutch to walk which gives me some protection with one or two dogs but when there are six or seven it's another matter.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Got to be evening because I'm disabled and at this time of year with the heat even walking to the local market and back kicks the hell out of me. The songthaews refuse to go up my way because the road (road?) is too bad which means a motortaxi back home. I could walk it but even though I am ever so polite the local packs of soi dogs refuse to be friends. I use a crutch to walk which gives me some protection with one or two dogs but when there are six or seven it's another matter.

ever thought of moving to a new place? , you sound like you are captive in your room during the day :(

you could always rent a jeep? .. or i am sure there is a TV member from Lamai who also want to taste the delights of ST !

Cheers guys.

ever thought of moving to a new place? , you sound like you are captive in your room during the day sad.png

you could always rent a jeep? .. or i am sure there is a TV member from Lamai who also want to taste the delights of ST !

Yeah ask insertmembernamehere. You can both review the place. thumbsup.gif

Cheers guys.

ever thought of moving to a new place? , you sound like you are captive in your room during the day sad.png

Yeah ask insertmembernamehere. You can both review the place. thumbsup.gif

if there is a couple of you , i am sure Dave can even pick you up !,

I discovered this restaurant during a trip to Samui in December/January and ended up going there every single night of my holiday. The restaurant had two Italian chefs and the food was literally the best Italian food I have had in my life (much better than the seemingly popular Prego). The restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside, though!

I haven't been able to find anything online about it, which I find utterly bizarre. Has anybody else been there? I'm praying it's still open when I return to Samui next month!

Not sure if it's the same one - but there is The Black Sheep (Il Pecora Nero ???? Apologies to Italians for my spelling).

It's basically a pizza place. Over 50 choices of pizza - thin base - very tasty and not expensive. Really interesting toppings licklips.gif

About a dozen or more calzone and a few pastas.

Decently priced beers and they sell large bottles of Singha/Chang drunk.gif

I was not impressed with the pasts dishes, but the rest are PDG. Most friends that we have eaten there with enjoy it too.

It is on my recommended list for the pizzas

Not sure if it's the same one - but there is The Black Sheep (Il Pecora Nero ???? Apologies to Italians for my spelling).

It's basically a pizza place. Over 50 choices of pizza - thin base - very tasty and not expensive. Really interesting toppings licklips.gif

About a dozen or more calzone and a few pastas.

Decently priced beers and they sell large bottles of Singha/Chang drunk.gif

I was not impressed with the pasts dishes, but the rest are PDG. Most friends that we have eaten there with enjoy it too.

It is on my recommended list for the pizzas

That's the one mate. Sorry, I thought the name appeared in the title.

I'm a very big fan. Can't work out why nothing about it is to be found on the internet!

Very much looking forward to going there next month. Are the same staff there? The pizza chef with the shaved head and the Turkish waiter?

Cheers guys.

I don't feel captive to be honest. This time of year I just adapt my hours so I sleep most of the day and do charity work during the night. If I need anything from the market I do it just as dawn breaks and stop off for a bowl of jok while I am there. If I want to go out in the evening then I walk in at dusk and there is always someone happy to give me a lift back as it's only a matter of 5 minutes or so. I'm happy here and the only time it's an issue is during May/June when I find the heat with the additional effort it requires to walk a bit too much during the day.

With regard to a jeep, though I do in theory have a drivers license it would no longer be valid as I am now disabled. It would however be cheaper to rent a jeep for 24 hours than to take a taxi to STs and back! Have an English friend returning from BKK tomorrw or the next day, he likes good food so I'm sure I could tempt him to drive his car up for a good feed.