If I Boil H20 In Bkk, Is It Safe To Drink In Coffee/Tea Etc ?

chubby

Boil the water for 3 minutes. That kills off the bacterial. Let it cool. Then slap the surface very hard with a large condom for a couple of minutes. That takes care of metals and other active chemicals (don't ask how because I don't know). The water is now 100% potable. And you can still use the condom for other stuff.

laugh.png

Seriously though, I have been using tap water in my coffee machine for years. No problem.

It can take 30-40 years for cancers and other degenerative diseases to show up. By the time they do show up you will have no idea of knowing if they were partly caused by the water or not. Get the water tested and see what's in it. Then ask yourself if you're happy to drink what's in it.

Boil the water for 3 minutes. That kills off the bacterial. Let it cool. Then slap the surface very hard with a large condom for a couple of minutes. That takes care of metals and other active chemicals (don't ask how because I don't know). The water is now 100% potable. And you can still use the condom for other stuff.

laugh.png

Seriously though, I have been using tap water in my coffee machine for years. No problem.

As someone else pointed out, the biggest problem is the drugs and other chemicals that get into the water supply. Obviously you wouldn't notice any problem but it might have long term health consequences.

Sure, like in any city in the world. I've been drinking tap water since I was a child, and half a century later, I am still alive and without problems.

I have heard many such stories. e.g. he was such a healthy guy, always eating healthy food, exercising, etc. I can't believe that he suddenly dropped dead. Not saying you're not healthy, but people can seem healthy but what's going on on the inside can be a different story. It's like the story of the 5 bikers sitting around the table. They all say how safe it is to ride a powerful motorbike. After all, they've all been riding them for over 30 years, so of course it's safe. Who you don't hear from are the 100 bikers that are dead. So you want get people posting on here saying that they died because of the cancer they got from drinking tap water for 50 years. They aren't around to tell the story.Genetics and other things you do also play and important part. Even with the worst water in the world, some people could drink it and stay fairly healthy. But that's no use to all the others who would die. Bad tap water affects different people in different ways. Just don't go thinking that tap water is pure. It's not pure. Most tap water has chlorine it it which is definitely not good for your health.

There's been plenty of studies here that show tap water has lots of heavy metals and pesticides. Makes sense as the source is the river which has heavy run off from farms and lots of output from industrial plants. Remember the fish kill not long ago where the plant got away with dumping stuff into the river because they paid off the inspector???

Boiling gets rid of the live nasties, but not the other bad stuff. Reverse osmosis helps a bit, but still doesn't remove everything. Also, as pointed out, it's not so much the quality of the water from the source as it is the pipes between there and your tap. Many older buildings introduce lots of stuff into your water.

I use to boil tap water also, but noticed it didn't taste as good as using bottled water. Try drinking it after it cools off and compare it to a bottle of water. Big difference.

RO has advantages and disadvantages:

A good R.O. system can remove contaminants such as arsenic, nitrates, sodium, copper and lead, some organic chemicals, and the municipal additive fluoride.

Both tap and bottled water have numerous organic and inorganic contaminants in them. Cumulative exposure to these contaminants over time can weaken your immune system and cause cellular damage or even cell mutation (cancer).

Tough decision, but at least filter your water. Don't drink it straight from the tap.

Have drank Bkk water many times over the years straight from different taps in bkk. No problems.

Read above post. It's a long term problem. Taking years to crop up. No problems at first, but down the road could be a big deal. Kinda like smoking cigarettes.

Edited by lovetotravel

Are you sure you are in Thailand? If yes have you gone outside to lets say a store or something?

6 liter re-fill = 5 baht

Cost and time of boiling =?

If you watch out your window long enough you will surely see one of those guys passing with his pickup full of 20 litre bottles of water, stop him, tell him your water needs and hey presto!! problem solved. You use the water, give the guy his bottle back and he replaces it - no fuss and usually about Bt20 for 20 litres, right to your doorstep.

PS If you bought a big bottle to do it yourself then there might be a problem putting it in the RO machine, you would probably have to take a hose with you. I've also heard rumours about these machines having dirty filters but 1) if you're boiling it for tea/coffee etc it doesn't matter 2) I believe these machines have circuits to detect dirty filters and stop dispensing when they're bad (don't know for sure as I've never opened one but it makes sense and the machine I use does have a warning light). I've been using one of these machines for years with no problems (have one right next door).

Quite correct just remember you live in a country where by-passes are not limited to hospitals!!

http://www.treehugge...-particles.html

i think boiling then brita might make sense, that our hauling water, i will be near suk 22 for a month, really though, what i've done is use the instant tea boiler thing, dispenser, not actually boiling in a pot and just use It for tea and buy and haul family mart water, which is a pain though, never seen no guys in truck with 6 liter bottles

@mijan24 - not got a clue what you are talking about, anybody else understand? what has it to do with my post?

@chubby - they're 20 litre bottles not 6 and you can't be looking very hard, I've stayed in many parts of Thailand and never had a problem finding them, check out what your neighbours are getting.

Please post a link citing BKK tap water contains heavy metals (plural I might add).

When I Google: Bangkok tap water "heavy metals"

The first links I get are (Google for links)

20 Oct 2011 – The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority has declared tap water in the ... amounts of harmful chemicals or heavy metals in the raw water that is ..

20 Oct 2011 – The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority has declared tap water in the ... amounts of harmful chemicals or heavy metals in the raw water that is ...

Phuket might me another matter but appears newbie fearmongers are about us.

Jongkolnee Arsuwate, director of the MWA's Water Quality Office, said the agency was not worried about chemical contamination because any chemicals would be diluted in the water.

Talking out your ass and scaring people. First year in Thailand?

Edited by bangkokburning

Please post a link citing BKK tap water contains heavy metals (plural I might add).

When I Google: Bangkok tap water "heavy metals"

The first links I get are (Google for links)

20 Oct 2011 – The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority has declared tap water in the ... amounts of harmful chemicals or heavy metals in the raw water that is ..

20 Oct 2011 – The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority has declared tap water in the ... amounts of harmful chemicals or heavy metals in the raw water that is ...

Phuket might me another matter but appears newbie fearmongers are about us.

Jongkolnee Arsuwate, director of the MWA's Water Quality Office, said the agency was not worried about chemical contamination because any chemicals would be diluted in the water.

Talking out your ass and scaring people. First year in Thailand?

Been here 10 years. Not the first time this has been posted. Use the search function and you will see plenty of discussions. You actually believe the government officials here? Remember, Yingluck just promised Japan there will be no more devastating floods. Right.

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

http://www.nationmul...Breakingnews%29

http://www.greenpeace.to/publications/GPSEA_agrochemical-use-in-thailand.pdf

http://www.thaivisa....r-to-deal-with/

http://www.ewg.org/r...y-Investigation

http://www.thaivisa....ter-is-it-safe/

Good one here:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3768711

“The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) treats tap water in conventional ways, by filtering out turbidity [suspended particles] and disinfecting with chlorine to remove toxic bacteria.” Although the MWA sets and enforces standards for tap water in Bangkok, the standards do not approach WHO or other international water quality standards. Outside Bangkok, water treatment comes under the aegis of the Provincial Waterworks Authority, whose standards are even lower, according to Suksom.

“The quality of tap water in Bangkok further suffers in neighbourhoods far from the pumping station where standpipe pressures may be low, making them susceptible to outside contamination, both industrial and organic, when pipes leak.

“Individual buildings may also have rusting pipes or pipe fittings, increasing turbidity and metal contamination. Furthermore, owners often build systems that store tap water in large tanks, where the supply can stagnate and breed bacteria.”

http://en.wikipedia....ues_in_Thailand

The most critical environmental problem that Thailand is facing presently, is the water pollution.[13] Despite the annual southwest monsoon, Thailand is subject to drought, particularly the northeastern region.[14] As of 2002, Thailand had less available water per person than any other country in Asia, and nearly one third of its water was “unsuitable for human consumption.”[15] Unconsumable water was also a result of increasing untreated domestic sewage, industrial wastewater and solid hazardous wastes. [15]

Like air pollution, water pollution is most serious in the populous Central Region, with high levels of industrial and domestic wastewater. The depletion of the water tablearound Bangkok has led to land subsidence.

Another major pollution is the heavy metals that have seeped into the rivers of Thailand for many years. In Chao Phraya estuary, mercury levels have far exceeded the normal standards, and such high concentration of heavy metal on the river bed poses a serious threat to ecosystems.[19]

All this, and more, in 15 minutes of searching. None of it good. Net is tap and bottled water comes from the same source and it's impossible to filter out everything. Too many pollutants.

Every time one eats soup or rice in a restaurant or from a street vendor one is ingesting tap water. I think the water goes straight from the tap into the rice cooker and the rice absorbs all those nasty chemicals and mercury. We can at least keep our exposure to a minimum though by drinking filtered or bottled water.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Every time one eats soup or rice in a restaurant or from a street vendor one is ingesting tap water. I think the water goes straight from the tap into the rice cooker and the rice absorbs all those nasty chemicals and mercury. We can at least keep our exposure to a minimum though by drinking filtered or bottled water.

The answer is to throw the rice away and drink the water, it's been boiled and filtered by the rice so it should be very safe.

http://www.nationmul...Breakingnews%29

http://www.greenpeac...in-thailand.pdf

http://www.thaivisa....r-to-deal-with/

http://www.ewg.org/r...y-Investigation

http://www.thaivisa....ter-is-it-safe/

Good one here:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3768711

“The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) treats tap water in conventional ways, by filtering out turbidity [suspended particles] and disinfecting with chlorine to remove toxic bacteria.” Although the MWA sets and enforces standards for tap water in Bangkok, the standards do not approach WHO or other international water quality standards. Outside Bangkok, water treatment comes under the aegis of the Provincial Waterworks Authority, whose standards are even lower, according to Suksom.

“The quality of tap water in Bangkok further suffers in neighbourhoods far from the pumping station where standpipe pressures may be low, making them susceptible to outside contamination, both industrial and organic, when pipes leak.

“Individual buildings may also have rusting pipes or pipe fittings, increasing turbidity and metal contamination. Furthermore, owners often build systems that store tap water in large tanks, where the supply can stagnate and breed bacteria.”

http://en.wikipedia....ues_in_Thailand

The most critical environmental problem that Thailand is facing presently, is the water pollution.[13] Despite the annual southwest monsoon, Thailand is subject to drought, particularly the northeastern region.[14] As of 2002, Thailand had less available water per person than any other country in Asia, and nearly one third of its water was “unsuitable for human consumption.”[15] Unconsumable water was also a result of increasing untreated domestic sewage, industrial wastewater and solid hazardous wastes. [15]

Like air pollution, water pollution is most serious in the populous Central Region, with high levels of industrial and domestic wastewater. The depletion of the water tablearound Bangkok has led to land subsidence.

Another major pollution is the heavy metals that have seeped into the rivers of Thailand for many years. In Chao Phraya estuary, mercury levels have far exceeded the normal standards, and such high concentration of heavy metal on the river bed poses a serious threat to ecosystems.[19]

All this, and more, in 15 minutes of searching. None of it good. Net is tap and bottled water comes from the same source and it's impossible to filter out everything. Too many pollutants.

I won't open all these websites, but could you offer some dates?

When I first came to Thailand 25 years ago, the tap water was certainly not safe for drinking. Thailand is a developing country, and it has developed a lot since. That's why I ask how old the information in your websites is.

I don't know the source of the water in Bangkok but in places like Phuket where there's a lot of old tin mins it's wise to be very careful since the water supply can contain metals that are not capable of being filtered out in the normal cleansing process.

Hm. Bangkok MWA has been advertising for years that their water is potable, but I do not recall to have heard the same about Phuket. Or any other province in Thailand.

As someone else pointed out, the biggest problem is the drugs and other chemicals that get into the water supply. Obviously you wouldn't notice any problem but it might have long term health consequences.

Sure, like in any city in the world. I've been drinking tap water since I was a child, and half a century later, I am still alive and without problems.

I have heard many such stories. e.g. he was such a healthy guy, always eating healthy food, exercising, etc. I can't believe that he suddenly dropped dead. Not saying you're not healthy, but people can seem healthy but what's going on on the inside can be a different story. It's like the story of the 5 bikers sitting around the table. They all say how safe it is to ride a powerful motorbike. After all, they've all been riding them for over 30 years, so of course it's safe. Who you don't hear from are the 100 bikers that are dead. So you want get people posting on here saying that they died because of the cancer they got from drinking tap water for 50 years. They aren't around to tell the story.Genetics and other things you do also play and important part. Even with the worst water in the world, some people could drink it and stay fairly healthy. But that's no use to all the others who would die. Bad tap water affects different people in different ways. Just don't go thinking that tap water is pure. It's not pure. Most tap water has chlorine it it which is definitely not good for your health.

Yes. I also know how unhealthy smoking is, and I know smokers who are in their nineties.

What's your point exactly? Am I supposed to die tomorrow because I've been drinking tap water?

(Your biker analogy does not work, by the way.)

• Like 1

I won't open all these websites, but could you offer some dates?

When I first came to Thailand 25 years ago, the tap water was certainly not safe for drinking. Thailand is a developing country, and it has developed a lot since. That's why I ask how old the information in your websites is.

Most articles are within the past few years. One does reference a 15 year old or so study by a foreign firm showing serious pollution in the rivers. Including mercury, heavy metals and pesticide. Things the water department here don't filter for. I think the biggest difference today is they are killing the bacteria now with chlorine, so you won't get immediately sick. The other nasties are still in there. As several of the articles say, it's a long term health problem. Showing up years later as cancer, reduced immune system, etc. Kinda like Silent Spring???

The answer is to throw the rice away and drink the water, it's been boiled and filtered by the rice so it should be very safe.

Restaurants and vendors use rice cookers. A cup of dry rice requires two cups of water and all that water is absorbed. Those who get on their high horse about the harmful effects of Thailand's water need to consider how much of the stuff they're consuming without thinking about it.

Restaurants and vendors use rice cookers. A cup of dry rice requires two cups of water and all that water is absorbed. Those who get on their high horse about the harmful effects of Thailand's water need to consider how much of the stuff they're consuming without thinking about it.

You might also worry yourself sick thinking about it.

http://www.treehugge...-particles.html

i think boiling then brita might make sense, that our hauling water, i will be near suk 22 for a month, really though, what i've done is use the instant tea boiler thing, dispenser, not actually boiling in a pot and just use It for tea and buy and haul family mart water, which is a pain though, never seen no guys in truck with 6 liter bottles

For the guys with big water bottles, have your favorite Thai associate look in the Yellow Pages for any of the major beverage vending companies. We happen to use Singha, because we genuinely prefer the taste of their water. Just call them until they add you to their delivery route. It may take a couple of tries.

We buy our water in the 1.5 liter bottles, like 20 cases a month, because we prefer to drink directly from the bottle. My wife and I are pretty health conscious, and we try to stay on top of how much water that we drink each day. You can buy in other bottle sizes, should you prefer.

As for boiling water, I boil the tap water that I use in my French press for coffee, and I have been doing it for the past eight years. I am not dead yet, knock on wood. My wife, on the other hand, who grew up literally living in dirt, will only boil bottled water for her tea.

Hope that helps.

Edited by ma91c1an

We now have a three-step filter in the kitchen, the tap water runs through it before being released out of the faucet. The labels and these three cylinder-like filters say Sediment / Resin / Carbon respectively.

Is this good for anything, does it make the water better?

I think that is fantastic. I've read about "issues" with RO water. But who knows. Unfortunately, nothing can remove all the nasties from the water. All you can do is try your best. Research I've read says even the bottled water has residual stuff in it. Just can't filter out everything. Some research I've read says filtered water, like your setup, is very good. Leaving the good stuff in your water as opposed to RO which removes it.

This is an excellent site to read. Just hope there isn't a hidden agenda with this site:

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/quality-water-purification.htm

This talks about the problems with RO:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Reverse-Osmosis-System-Problems-They-Wont-Tell-You-About&id=1171014

What to do?????

I think that is fantastic. I've read about "issues" with RO water. But who knows. Unfortunately, nothing can remove all the nasties from the water. All you can do is try your best. Research I've read says even the bottled water has residual stuff in it. Just can't filter out everything. Some research I've read says filtered water, like your setup, is very good. Leaving the good stuff in your water as opposed to RO which removes it.

This is an excellent site to read. Just hope there isn't a hidden agenda with this site:

http://www.freedrink...urification.htm

This talks about the problems with RO:

http://ezinearticles...bout&id=1171014

What to do?????

I think I'll just stop drinking water....

But in the articles they don't mention alum (สารส้ม) as a water purifier. I was told it is used the world over. Any side effects with that?

Tap water in BKK is safe to drink but it doesn't taste very good to me. I filter through those 3 column filter system and the taste is much better. I replace annually. Bottled water is Ok but envirnmentally bad and is quite expensive compared to tap water. I also know that a small quantity of plasticisers leak into all bottled waters which could be significant to your health over long periods.

Tap water in BKK is safe to drink but it doesn't taste very good to me. I filter through those 3 column filter system and the taste is much better. I replace annually. Bottled water is Ok but envirnmentally bad and is quite expensive compared to tap water. I also know that a small quantity of plasticisers leak into all bottled waters which could be significant to your health over long periods.

How do you know the tap water is safe to drink? Just curious.

I drank quite a big glass of the tap water from my condo in Sukhumvit by mistake other day (It was water in a bottle that i had filled up to water the plants). I was worried, but nothing happened so it must be at least safe enough not to get sick from.