Switching From Married To Retirement Visa

It would appear that requirements vary at different immigration offices.

Here in Kanchanaburi I am on my third retirement extension and each time they have wanted a medical certificate, which costs 50 baht for a 30 second yes/no session followed by a quick listen to my chest.

they have only asked me for proof of accomodation once.

When the time comes for a visit I try to have everything ready, but always go a couple of weeks before necessary in case I have to return with something missed or added to list of rerquirements.

Strange, I also use the Kanchanaburi office to do my yearly extensions. I haven't been asked to provide a medical certificate for many years.

What's the benefit of switching from marriage to retired? I am presently processing a marriage visa but I intend to work.

Retirement is immediate with only financial proof required for paperwork. But it is not an option if you intend to work.

Thank you Lopburi. I have a marriage support but the IP are always "suggesting" I should go for retirement. Never understood why before. From you comments, I guess is less paperwork for them and quicker for me. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

I am very interested reading all the questions and answers here . I have a marriage visa and have been living with my wife in Thailand for 7yrs . The annual visa extension is such a hassle , I think it would be easier to have a Retirement visa . My monthly income that I can bring to Thailand , with the exchange rate has dropped from Bt59,000 to just below Bt40,000 . I have capital in Britain that I could bring to Thailand to have Bt800,000 in the bank . Is one able to make the switch at the Immigration office without leaving the country ?

Hi,

can anyone tell me how long does it take in Bangkok to get the extension of the retirement visa, once you have given them all the required paperwork?

I need to judge booking a flight as soon as possibile after I have the extension.

Also does anyone know if there is anyway at all of applying for a permanent residency after 3yrs of retirement?

Thanks

Same time applied for and you can immediately apply and receive a re-entry permit for your travel. Normally does not take more than 20 minutes once you see officer but could be a queue of minutes to hours.

I am very interested reading all the questions and answers here . I have a marriage visa and have been living with my wife in Thailand for 7yrs . The annual visa extension is such a hassle , I think it would be easier to have a Retirement visa . My monthly income that I can bring to Thailand , with the exchange rate has dropped from Bt59,000 to just below Bt40,000 . I have capital in Britain that I could bring to Thailand to have Bt800,000 in the bank . Is one able to make the switch at the Immigration office without leaving the country ?

You can also get your extension based upon marriage with 400K in the bank for 60 days.

You could also use your "capital" to supplement you income when you get your income letter from the embassy to reach the 40K needed.

Edited by ubonjoe