Post Office Customs Fees

I buy things a few times a month off of Ebay just for personal use here and always receive them via the post. There rarely is a customs fee, but this time I was blown away. I ordered a heavy duty float for the beach since the ones at Tesco last about a week. The price for it was 1,200B clearly shown on the customs declaration, but the customs fee was 1,780B! I asked the postoffice guy to explain how the fee far exceeded the price of the item and he said that customs suspected farangs of sellling products in Thailand so had decided to get some of that revenue. I then explained to him that someone setting up a sales operation would not order just one item, but he didn't seem to get it. I told him that he had two options: 1. Send it back to the Customs House and tell them to look at the invoice and put the appropriate fee on it, which shouldn't exceed 10-15%. 2. Return it to sender and I would cancel the visa charge.

Has anyone run into anything like this lately? I know to expect it with FEDEX/DHL/UPS, which is why I never use them.

No. I've been buying a lot of stuff lately; just last week I received five separate items from Wiggle in the UK - four got to my home, one I had to collect from the post office; it had a declared price of 2000B and I paid something like 330B. Interestingly, two that were delivered to my home had declared prices above the one that wasn't!

I haven't yet run into anything like you did.

No. I've been buying a lot of stuff lately; just last week I received five separate items from Wiggle in the UK - four got to my home, one I had to collect from the post office; it had a declared price of 2000B and I paid something like 330B. Interestingly, two that were delivered to my home had declared prices above the one that wasn't!

Regularly buy bits and pieces form eBay - 5 or 6 items a month ranging from 99 cents (!) to 2,000B (app $60) or so - and never any customs fees to pay.

You are spot on regarding imports to sell - and this only being one item - but TIT. The mysterious oriental mind. Plus an utter and bewildering lack of logic. Plus stupidity and greed, no doubt boredom, too . . . all the usual things. Might even be down to just one dopey individual and not even a policy.

Hope it's not a new trend. Although the idea of paying 1,000 baht import duty on a plastic thermometer worth a dollar is entertaining . . .

R

Regularly buy bits and pieces form eBay - 5 or 6 items a month ranging from 99 cents (!) to 2,000B (app $60) or so - and never any customs fees to pay.

You are spot on regarding imports to sell - and this only being one item - but TIT. The mysterious oriental mind. Plus an utter and bewildering lack of logic. Plus stupidity and greed, no doubt boredom, too . . . all the usual things. Might even be down to just one dopey individual and not even a policy.

Hope it's not a new trend. Although the idea of paying 1,000 baht import duty on a plastic thermometer worth a dollar is entertaining . . .

R

Might be worth noting the particular post offices in case it's only one or two doing it, or not. My mail comes through Lamai post office.

R

Might be worth noting the particular post offices in case it's only one or two doing it, or not. My mail comes through Lamai post office.

Yes, that crossed my mind too. Mine is delivered through Mae Nam post office . . .

But can anyone tell me who is it and where that the packages get the import duty applied to them? Is it here on the island or does it happen somewhere big and important on the mainland?

R

But can anyone tell me who is it and where that the packages get the import duty applied to them? Is it here on the island or does it happen somewhere big and important on the mainland?

R

Having had to pay a few of these, I'm pretty sure I've seen their blank notification forms in the post office; so would assume they're processed there.

Chaweng PO told me that Bangkok decides on the fees. The manager said he would send it back to Bangkok and ask them to research it, but it was still sitting there today. They will probably open it and use it. I just hope they don't sign my name for it. I have already reported it to Ebay and asked for a refund. Ebay is very good about refunding money as long as there is no proof of delivery. My Thai wife said to have everything delivered in her name in the future and then they wouldn't apply any fees.

My Thai wife said to have everything delivered in her name in the future and then they wouldn't apply any fees.

sweet dreams are made of these :P

fees are applied for everyone according to the integrated database available at customs.go.th , very few item are below 30%, for most of them it is 60%, exeption is phone and webcam at 5%.

then VAT comes on top and is also applied on the transportation fee all this according to an exchange rate decided by the customs/governement.

you can be thai, thai company(BOI approved companies have a lot of exemptions to duty) or a foreigner, the same rule is applied.

the amounts may vary due to classification of the item by the officers in BKK.

for futher orders, ask the guy to declare the package as gift and under a value of 1000 baht(20 euro or 28 dollars) of course this won't work for big items.

Gentlemen,

I am planning to order pair of ESS ICE brand sunglasses from ebay. The item will cost about $74.00 including postal fee. I would like have an idea the Thai custom duty or post office tax for sunglasses. Does anyone have previous experience ordering sunglasses approximately this value? The seller refuses to declare lower value than the actual value.

Your suggestion/advice is highly appreciated

Gentlemen,

I am planning to order pair of ESS ICE brand sunglasses from ebay. The item will cost about $74.00 including postal fee. I would like have an idea the Thai custom duty or post office tax for sunglasses. Does anyone have previous experience ordering sunglasses approximately this value? The seller refuses to declare lower value than the actual value.

7004.90.10 - - Optical glass, not optically worked 50% from the declared value +7% vat on top and 7% VAT on postal fees.

it should cost you around 120 dollars.

Edited by NHJ

if they are going to charge high prices for receiving then u migth aswell go dhl.

don't get me started on the post office the refuse to come to my house. i have to go and collect it myself. then thhey told me that they would keep my post to one side. then i have found out that they have been sending stuff back to the sender becuase they cannot be bothered to delievre it.

i am probably in debt and have court dates that i don't know about.

pathetic. i would complain but who shall listen. they shall just say yes ye s yes and do nothing

Thank you very much for the replies. I gave up the idea and look for the item in TH.

Gentlemen,

7004.90.10 - - Optical glass, not optically worked 50% from the declared value +7% vat on top and 7% VAT on postal fees.

it should cost you around 120 dollars.

Over the years I have received at least forty packages through the post office and charged customs fees on maybe five of them (10-15% of the declared value). From my observation if it is in a cusioned envelope or very small box and the declared value is under 3,000B then they usually won't charge anything. That may be changing, though. I will keep getting small envelopes/packages and advise on TV if they demand ridiculous charges for them. If they charged sixty percent plus, nobody would be ordering anything from overseas. As with everything in Thailand there is an official policy and then there is reality.

Chaweng PO told me that Bangkok decides on the fees. The manager said he would send it back to Bangkok and ask them to research it, but it was still sitting there today. They will probably open it and use it. I just hope they don't sign my name for it. I have already reported it to Ebay and asked for a refund. Ebay is very good about refunding money as long as there is no proof of delivery. My Thai wife said to have everything delivered in her name in the future and then they wouldn't apply any fees.

So you know there is a chance that there might be customs fees but because it is to high and you don't want to pay it you decide to report it to ebay saying it has not been delivered?

What about the poor ebay seller who then gets into trouble with ebay not to mention being out of pocket on the transaction? Even if he gets the item back he has still paid for the shipping which he will never receive back.

It is not the sellers fault that the customs are so high so why get him into trouble just because you don't want to pay the customs fees? You have 2 choices, pay or don't order from overseas at all, Reporting it to ebay as undelivered just because you don;t want to pay the customs fees is just plain dishonest, it is not the sellers fault that you have received these fees, as the buyer you are responsible for checking what the customs fees may be on an imported item, this is ebay policy, As an ex ebay seller you knock me sick with your attitude to be honest.

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1

If they charged sixty percent plus, nobody would be ordering anything from overseas. As with everything in Thailand there is an official policy and then there is reality.

they charge 60% and more, this is the law, and mind you this is working, have a look at cheese product, tartare sauce, imported fruits... why do you think cherries are so expensive even in can?

hopefully thailand has FTA with some countries , the most recent being india, so we can get good black grape for 100 baht a kilo and not the tasteless type.

Darren: Sorry, you are incorrect. I have reported it correctly to Ebay that Customs charged 130% fees, which is not acceptable, plus I have agreed to pay the shipping fee. Sellers are not responsible for customs fees but buyers don't have to accept extortion, either. The seller gets the merchandise back, unless the Thais steal it, and is out nothing. I have been dealing with Ebay, first as a seller, and now as a buyer, for over ten years so I know their policies. Also, when you buy a product it is impossible to know what the fees will be, unless perhaps you have a customs broker. Ask anyone who receives packages hrough the mail on a regular basis -- the fee is from 0 to the moon. By the way, the shipping fee is 1,800B so I'd rather pay the seller and get nothing than pay a corrupt official and get the float!

not sure if this will help but, I used to get watches sent to me in the UK, they originated in st Lucia in the caribbean where they cost approximately 50- 60% of the UK retail price.

The jeweller that I delt with used to put a covering note into my parcel and explain that my old watch was deyond repair and they had replaced it with a new replacement.

Almost every watch got stopped and opened by UK customs but were always forwarded with no duty to pay.

For the likes of small objects such as sunglass's get your family to forward them with a note saying you have left them behind, they are your property already, and they are

secondhand, it may save a few quid duty.

Darren: Sorry, you are incorrect. I have reported it correctly to Ebay that Customs charged 130% fees, which is not acceptable, plus I have agreed to pay the shipping fee. Sellers are not responsible for customs fees but buyers don't have to accept extortion, either. The seller gets the merchandise back, unless the Thais steal it, and is out nothing. I have been dealing with Ebay, first as a seller, and now as a buyer, for over ten years so I know their policies. Also, when you buy a product it is impossible to know what the fees will be, unless perhaps you have a customs broker. Ask anyone who receives packages hrough the mail on a regular basis -- the fee is from 0 to the moon. By the way, the shipping fee is 1,800B so I'd rather pay the seller and get nothing than pay a corrupt official and get the float!

Well that totally contradicts your statement that you will report to ebay as not delivered and also that the customs fees are 1800, now you are saying the shipping fees are 1800, which one is it?

If you used to be a seller then you will know that ebay will also refund the shipping fees for the item to you so yes the seller will lose these also so will be out of pocket, tell me why the seller should be out of pocket just because you don't want to pay the customs fees?

The seller could possibly never receive the item back, will lose his shipping fees, the fees he paid to ebay and Paypal, will get into trouble with ebay and could possibly have his account restricted through no fault of his own just because of your dishonesty.

It is not the sellers fault that you have received these charges so why should he be punished? Man up and pay the fees or at least have the honesty to contact the seller, explain the situation to him and pay his shipping fees at the very least.

Edited by darrendsd

Darren: Please learn to read English before getting sick again. The Customs fees are 1800B and the shipping fees (not the declared value of the item) to me are 1800B as I stated correctly. Ebay will not refund the shipping fees to me because I told them honestly that the shipper had delivered the goods to Thailand, but there was a problem with Thai Customs. They will simply deduct the price of the item from my balance in Paypal, which I have already agreed on with the seller. I am not responsible if the Thai government steals the item as it could have been stolen coming or going. If you get caught in a lie with Ebay they will simply close your account.

Roo, please consider closing this post as I was looking for responses from people who were receiving items at the post office.

NHK: I agree with you when you are discussing thousands of kilos coming into a port using freight forwarders and customs agents. However, we are only talking about the post office in this discussion. If you don't believe that I have received 35 out of 40 items duty-free then ask any of your friends who get small packages at the post office. If any parcel had come in with 60% or even 30% duty I would have never ordered anything again.

Sorry but you're totally contradicting yourself in your posts, nowhere in your first post do you state that the shipping fees are 1800 and I find it very surprising given your attitude that you paid 1800 shipping fees on a item that was worth 1200.

End of conversation, people like you who don't take responsibilty for items they have bought off ebay are one of the reasons I quit selling on ebay.

NHK: I agree with you when you are discussing thousands of kilos coming into a port using freight forwarders and customs agents. However, we are only talking about the post office in this discussion. If you don't believe that I have received 35 out of 40 items duty-free then ask any of your friends who get small packages at the post office. If any parcel had come in with 60% or even 30% duty I would have never ordered anything again.

i never said i don't trust you, i also received hundred of small parcels duty free but the package is always declared as gift and value of less than a thousand baht(more than that doesn't qualify for duty exemption) using post office, all parcels coming using private carriers will have duty on them(% depends on item classification).

I will never understand:

- people who sell on Ebay: you must be hopeless in this life...

- people who order form abroad useless items or items that can be bought in Thailand: life is boring NA ? Need some extreme experience ? :-)

So it's normal that people who sell on Ebay using Paypal get cheated by customers who ask refund for wrong reasons, and it's normal that customs charge them as much as THEY WANT, you deserve it, and any other discussion seems a bit useless, because of course NOT, your post officers are for nothing in the decision to ask you to pay customs duty or not ! Who could believe this ?

I will never understand:

- people who sell on Ebay: you must be hopeless in this life...

- people who order form abroad useless items or items that can be bought in Thailand: life is boring NA ? Need some extreme experience ? :-)

So it's normal that people who sell on Ebay using Paypal get cheated by customers who ask refund for wrong reasons, and it's normal that customs charge them as much as THEY WANT, you deserve it, and any other discussion seems a bit useless, because of course NOT, your post officers are for nothing in the decision to ask you to pay customs duty or not ! Who could believe this ?

If you knew how much I used to earn on there per month you would probably change your opinion.

Edited by darrendsd