How Much Can You Live Off

geeit

Am looking at moving to thailand. at the moment i have around £3.500 or 245,360 THB of residul income. How much more would i need to live a comftable life style. not luxuary. Baring in mind that i would be renting a property for the first year at least.

Geeit;

3 things that will greatly influence this answer.....

Do you plan to live in Bangkok or Up-Country ?

Do you have a Thai Wife or Partner

Do you intend to travel much

Apart from that food etc is very cheap.

Hey newbie,

I would suggest you to give more specific information, so that would be easy for us to provide info.

Have you ever been to Thailand? Any clue where/which city you want to live? bkk/chiang mai/phuket/krabi/Pattaya or others? Cost of living depends much on where you live. Definitely, cost of living in the big city is higher than small ones.

Do you plan to use up 300000 baht in one year? What type of good lifestyle in your definition?

Give more info then! :o

If you just want to chill out and not do too much and live comfortably then you may be able to do it. For example if you live in Chiang Mai in a small apartment for say 3,000 baht a month and eat at local food stands you can live quite cheaply. You could bring your bicycle and get around easily on that.

However, if you wish to travel a lot and go out drinking beers and so on, thenyou will find that you will need more to be comfortable.

Why are you coming to Thailand ? What is your purpose ? If you are coming here to lose yourself in the bar culture then you are going find it hard to survive without living like a pauper ! Things like going to the gym, seeing a movie, dining out, taking home a nice bottle of wine......will all be quite difficult.

I would suggest you cut your time by one third or better still....half !!

In Bangkok you can get small one room apartments for 6-7000 baht a month which ar eok. These are usually situated outside the main expat areas, but this is a good thing as if there are more Thaios then there will be more street food and so on. It is easy to find your way around the bus system here as well so you find yourself paying 3 baht per journey instead of 35 - 100 baht (example) in a taxi !!

Thanks for all you help.

Am looking at moving to Krabi, and working as a diving/kayaking instructor, so there would be an extra income there, although i would no idea how much this could bring in. if anyone knows that would be great.

I will also be halfing the cost of rent as i ill be living with a good freind. am budgeting about 10,000 baht per month for rent. I do want to work there, but i would also like to live an active life, going out with freinds and drinking.

However things i enjoy most in life, come cheap. I.E kayaking. i have my own kayak. Fishing with a bottle of rum! as i plan to have a small boat out there.

I do not plan to go out every night on the town drinking beer, but would like to have that option once a week or so.

Hope this gives a little more detail

Hey,

In krabi, they have a quit big community of expat there,especially in AOW Nang. For small town like that , you can get a very good place to live for 10000 baht. Cost of living is cheap down there also. U might need a motorcycle to get around, so plan a budget on that.

Good luck, krabi is still so beautiful.

ok cool, things are starting to make more sence now, Looking faward to seeing those amazing krabi locations.

I fnayof you guys have any other usfull info about living in thai that would be great.

Thanks for all your help.

Geeit,

If you're seriously considering working in Thailand I'd suggest brushing up on your spelling skills--whether you're a native English speaker or not.

ok cool, things are starting to make more sence now, Looking faward to seeing those amazing krabi locations.

I fnayof you guys have any other usfull info about living in thai that would be great.

Generally Thais are employed as instructors/guides, etc. Since you don't know anything about where you're moving how successful could you possibly be finding work legally? It seems though that you just might be qualified to teach English!

:o

Nevertheless you can coast for quite awhile on 200,000+ baht. Have fun!

FROND

Geeit,

If you're seriously considering working in Thailand I'd suggest brushing up on your spelling skills--whether you're a native English speaker or not.

Generally Thais are employed as instructors/guides, etc. Since you don't know anything about where you're moving how successful could you possibly be finding work legally? It seems though that you just might be qualified to teach English!

:o

Nevertheless you can coast for quite awhile on 200,000+ baht. Have fun!

FROND

LOL

Its not my spelling just my typing!

Cheers

Geeit

geeit~

Sorry to hear about the problem. It is one that affects many people. However, on the board, the only judgement of you that can be made is by what you type. Like trying to be a public speaker with a stutter.

Spell checker is a good thing. I use it regularly. And the Preview Post button. I probably should use that one even more.

Jeepz

Problem for ma and spelling - I use a laptop and when you put your beer down, you can get the keyboard.

But if you can fox your accomodation so you have minimal outgoings there, the 200k baht should be fine get you by for a long while.

Fist of all thanks for the Ispeller link. I don’t have dyslexia but I do have a natural ability to not spell well. We all have our weaknesses and strengths. I use MS word b4 I post anything. Even that doesn’t help with witch which is witch..

Now back to the Topic.

Geet you really should come and see. I spend 40k per month with free rent in BKK. Not a bar person but 100 baht here and there really ads up. Also it will take you sometime to get used the money here. I had a stack of 100,000 and boy the first half went really fast.

But more important why are you coming here. 250,000 baht is not a lot of money. You said residual for clarification you get 250,000 every year and plan to live off it?

You also in a different post asked about starting a company here. What is your funding? Remember for you to work you have to pay your self 60k per month.

If you run out of cash what will happen? I have to agree cut you time by half. Also have you lived abroad b4? It you have a Jimmy Buffet in Margaretville dreams this is not the place.

Fists of all, do you have 800,000 baht in the bank for a 1 year visa? If you plan to work illegally do you have 200,000 baht get out of Jail money?

Dude all I can say is come here for a month or two and check it out. Don’t plan on anything other than a long Holiday.

For the long holiday if EVA air fly’s out of you area. Use them you can get a 6 month return ticket. The return date is changeable without penalty.

Good luck

Guest IT Manager

I personally think Geeit is writing a how to book on living in Thailand, and going after the Guiness Book award for writing the most research without having done it himself.

He has all the facts, as near as possible, now he just has to write it down and make it read ok. Thank God for cut and paste in my opinion.

Good luck geeit. Look forward to reading the result of the work we have all done. :o