C7 Civil Servant Charged With Slapping An Airport Security Official

webfact

C7 Civil Servant Slapped With Disciplinary Violation

C7cervant.jpeg

Credit: DailyNews.co.th

BANGKOK: -- The high-ranking civil servant, who made headlines several months ago when a VDO clip of him slapping an airport security official went viral, has been slapped with a disciplinary violation charge. He has been diagnosed with a psychiatric condition that impairs emotional control.

The C7 official under the Customs Department, Sombat Chatchaiwaiyawit, was faced with widespread social disapproval when the VDO clip of him went viral on the internet. On the VDO, Sombat was seen slapping an airport security official with both hands when he was passing through an airport checkpoint and refused to be searched.

The airport security official, Sirichai Maichum, 32-year old employee of Asia Security Management, has filed charges against Sombat.

Sombat has been charged with a minor disciplinary violation. He's been diagnosed with a pysychiatric disorder that prevents him from controlling his emotions; including angry outbursts. He's been asked to take 2 months off work to seek appropriate treatment.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-08

footer_n.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been diagnosed with a psychiatric condition that impairs emotional control.

Wow, that is going to be my new excuse.

Or use the very trendy "Bipoloar" disorder.

It was a pretty funny video, but the penalty is weak.

what a joke .... when you have this kind of "sickness" you are not a high rank civil servant ... when you have this kind of behavior you cannot be a high rank civil servant .... I dont know why but nothning surprise me anymore in this country ... Soon you will have donald duck as ministry of interior and mickey mouse as PM ....

• Like 1

I know I've wanted to slap more then a few of them when I come through.

I'm Diabetic, could I get away with it too you think?

If you can, please inform me right away!

Birds of a feather....

People in government (regardless of the political persuasion of the administration in power) can only survive and thrive if there is cohesiveness of its members. It is one of the facets of Thainess.

I.E: any conflict between a Thai and a non Thai individual, authorities often times will pull to the side of the Thai. There are exceptions, of course. I am sure that those PC people will be ouraged and/or with anecdotal stories of their own will step forward to defend this attitude and lynch the messenger.

The fact remains. Unless we are talking about article 112, the "penalty" levied on transgressors consistently has been a transfer or months suspension with pay.

It is what it is no matter what some want to belief.

I remember an old folk saying I learned in Spain: "There is no worse deaf person that the one who does not want to hear."

Are any of you really surprised that this fella got off with a slap on the wrist? I certainly am not. This is Thailand for goodness sakes! The fact that this wasn't swept under the rug and forgotten entirely is what should be surprising.

• Like 1

2 months off??? He should be fired plain and simple. What a great message to other employees; beat up another employee and receive a 2 month vacation, then go back to work; no problemmad.gif

Now guess - what could happen if he is farang.....coffee1.gif

How about dismissal for cause without pension benefits, followed by criminal charges for aggravated assault causing injury..... Oh sorry i forgot, that only happens to ordinary people here!

Totally disgusting, but not at all surprising outcome.

sick.gif

Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) [Wiki]

The DSM-IV criteria for IED include: the occurrence of discrete episodes of failure to resist aggressive impulses that result in violent assault or destruction of property, the degree of aggressiveness expressed during an episode is grossly disproportionate to provocation or precipitating psychosocial stressor.

what a joke .... when you have this kind of "sickness" you are not a high rank civil servant ... when you have this kind of behavior you cannot be a high rank civil servant .... I dont know why but nothning surprise me anymore in this country ... Soon you will have donald duck as ministry of interior and mickey mouse as PM ....

Errm.... that would be Minnie Mouse thanks.giggle.gif

Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) [Wiki]

The DSM-IV criteria for IED include: the occurrence of discrete episodes of failure to resist aggressive impulses that result in violent assault or destruction of property, the degree of aggressiveness expressed during an episode is grossly disproportionate to provocation or precipitating psychosocial stressor.

Do you truly believe that that condition, whether it exists or not, is the real cause of this particular man's outburst in this case? If that is a real condition, and I haven't looked it up yet, but I will, then it would certainly be cause for serious medication and/or state supervision (for the duration of the patient's life). This condition, based on your Wiki quote, will cause future violent behavior if it isn't alleviated/monitored in some way. I'd also be very curious about the incidence of Intermittent Explosive Disorder. What percentage of the population, on average, experiences this?

Even if it is real and this man has it, I'm loathe to believe that. If this statement came from the government, I lean towards incredulousness always.