Using True Visions Hd Set-Top Box As Pvr With Esata Harddisk

ColinChapman

A quick update.

Yea, I think the problems I am having with the PVR have been isolated. After two previous visits by technicians (sub-contractors) to the house, two separate visits by me to Digital Gateway and countless (and I do mean countless) hours Truevisions' customer service people and I have spent on the phone connecting/re-connecting, booting/re-booting etc., the special technicians sent by Truevisions' Customer Service department today literally isolated the problem in 30 seconds flat!

The problem I have been having relates to the "free" HDD case and connections, not the WD HDD or the HD Plus set up box. Given the speed in isolating the problem, I can only guess that others may be having the same problem.

One other thing worthy to note. While in Bangkok we are given the choice of paying for the eSata HDD at either Truevisions' home office or Digital Gateway, once you have chosen one, that is pretty much the one you will deal with thereafter. The reason I say this is that I have been told that they have different stock (albeit the same equipment). This surprised me because I was thinking Truevisions would service (and replace if needed) the product regardless of where it was purchased (similar to a Sony or Samsung service center). Apparently, there are different owners involved, although in both cases the equipment is the same (i.e. legitimate, not copies).

Bulshy, hang in there.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post - only relevant parts

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

And they all lived happily ever after - well, reasonably contentedly anyway.

The True technician phoned on Thursday morning to confirm and again about an hour before the appointment. Despite having been a customer on yearly contracts for more than eight years, I was told to prepare a copy of my condo rental agreement and my passport. In the event, only the passport copy was required.

He arrived and installed the HDD - interestingly, a message came up saying it was not one of the approved ones and listing the three approved ones, but he just ignored this. He then phoned True and they activated the function, he recorded a few minutes and played it back and also checked the live pause feature. I paid the 4,780 baht (cash only, exact money only), signed about six times and off he went. I will post again when the bill for the PVR service arrives.

I've now had a chance to test it more thoroughly, and it has basically two functions that work reliably: it will make a recording, either in the future by selecting from the EPG or immediately by selecting the desired channel and pressing record; and it will pause and resume a live broadcast. Recordings, including those of HD channels, are the same quality as watching them live. There is no way of manually programming a recording, so if the EPG is blank, which it often seems to be, there is no way to set a future recording.

I recorded a Funeral in Berlin early this morning and it played OK, there was one point where the screen went black for a few seconds and when it resumed it had skipped forwards about ten minutes, but I rewound and played again and it was OK. I paused it a few times and rewound to catch dialogue I had missed and this all worked.

It will let you record one channel whilst watching another, but it doesn't really work. You can watch your desired channel successfully but the recording is no good. I have tried it three times, twice the recording played back for a few minutes and then the picture froze while the sound continued and once the picture continued but with no sound. No amount of stopping, starting, fast forwarding or rewinding would fix the problem.

The HDD gets very hot - uncomfortable to touch. Originally, the technician installed it laid on its side on the top of the STB, but as this obscured about 25% of the air vents in the top of the STB, I moved it to stand upright next to the STB, so its two large sides are exposed to the air.

The STB does not switch the power on and off - the HDD is on all the time even when the STB is on standby - not very green and not prresumably very good for the life of the HDD.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Please feel free to ask about any points I have missed. Thanks to everyone for all the information.

and to make matters worse my DVD recorder which I have been using for nearly five years on the second box apparently cannot be connected to the HD box

Hi Peter,

It might be worth trying this again. Being something of a Luddite, I still have a VHS VCR and I can successfully record the composite output (red and white audio, yellow video phono plugs) from the HD box.

He arrived and installed the HDD - interestingly, a message came up saying it was not one of the approved ones and listing the three approved ones, but he just ignored this.

A couple of comments.

After two weeks of trying to get it correct, I am happy with the PVR. I have 3 connections in the house. Interestingly, I tried to order another HDD for one of the other connections, but the good people at Truevisions, shockingly (but happily) refused me. They said they have had some complaints and don't want to continue to install the PVR until they are sure all problems are taken care of (they mentioned a software problem with the Samsung engineered box that they want fixed before installing further boxes).

The box does get real hot. I think this is one of the main reasons I had a problem with the connections of the Orico container of the HDD as there is plastic as part of the connections. Also, the WD HDD that you mention as not being one of the approved ones is the same for me. Although it is a Western Digital, the serial number is different from the approved WD HDD, but it meets the the specifications and works fine.

I can watch one show and record another, so far without a problem. The only problem I have had recording is on Saturday morning when I recorded the Masters the picture froze and since it was in the middle of the night, that was that. Last night no problem with the Masters or any other show I recorded.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post

One thing Truevisions have failed to mention in all their information is what about the 15,000 I had to pay for my PVR four years ago? I feel I should get a partial refund at least however I'm glad that I won't be owning the HD Plus box as that means truevisions will remain resposible for it continuing working.

I had the old PVR also. The True technician said the old one can be used at another TV and connection point in the house with a basic package like True Knowledge.

With the new PVR, has anyone noticed the skip ahead 30 seconds button goes back to the last stopping point? It takes me back to where I last pressed skip, or to the beginning of the program. I can first press fast forward, then use the skip button and it skips ahead 30 seconds. Font is small on screen. I can't see episode numbers on my PVR menu. I don't know what episode I'm watching!

Thanks everyone!

With the new PVR, has anyone noticed the skip ahead 30 seconds button goes back to the last stopping point? It takes me back to where I last pressed skip, or to the beginning of the program. I can first press fast forward, then use the skip button and it skips ahead 30 seconds. Font is small on screen. I can't see episode numbers on my PVR menu. I don't know what episode I'm watching!

Thanks everyone!

My "skip ahead" seems to work OK, but I have noticed twice I have recorded programs and the sound wasn't recorded. On one of these occasions, I was recording but watching the show normally and went back to the recording and there was no sound, so I know it was the PVR issue, not no sound on the normal show. I can see the episode numbers, but probably because my TV is closer.

Comments on the PVR hard disc, a little late as I have been tied up lately with family visiting from the UK and my wife being rushed to hospital for an emergency appendicectomy. Previous to this True had informed me that if I couldn't get to Bangkok they would arrange for their Saraburi agents to contact me when they had stock in the immediate future. Surprisingly they did phone me and they delivered, installed and set up the hard disc on the Monday of last week.

When I tried to use the PVR function a screen message told me that this was not an approved HD, so even True cannot get an adequate supply of their recommended discs! I carried on regardless and so far have had perfect results. Recording whilst watching another programme, recording two overlapping programmes - no probs so far. Still finding my way around the controller and probably have not discovered all that the system offers.

It was comforting to read, as I suspected, that I wasn't the only original PVR owner that thought it was a load of crap - I got fed up explaining to True that a PVR was only of any real value if it was reliable! Previously I used the Sky+ system in the UK, so I was accustomed to reliability. The new system seems to compare well with Sky+, with the exception of the EPG as some days it has large holes in it or is inaccurate.

Someone asked why I cannot connect my DVD recorder to my second HD box, now I have a little more free time I will see if I have alternative leads tucked away, so far I only know that the lead that I have been using for the past 5 years is not compatible with the HD box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Time for a progress update, in summary, it works. Details for those interested:

I finally braved the True Visions call centre again and asked about the problems with the PVR (see posting above, basically it would record only if you didn't watch anything else). They sent a technician the next day. He did a quick test and the problem did not arise. I showed him a faulty recording I had made earlier and gave him chapter and verse on the problems. He said he would have to ask someone else and left. The very next day he came back with another guy who downloaded a software uodate to the box (he changed the menus to Thai so I couldn't see how he did it, but an English message popped up during the upgrade). After several days testing it now works fine. The only problem that still occurs is that occasionally when playing back a recording, the screen goes black for several seconds and then resumes further on in the recording. If I press the rewind button as soon as the screen goes black, it skips back to before the problem and then plays normally. I can cope with this and as it is unduplicateable and unrecordable I'm not going to try to get True to fix it.

My (new) Receiver Software Version is 2.1.1.001 Mar 8 2012.

This also includes the ability to make timed recordings and to repeat them.

Another feature I have noticed is that you can rewind a program you are watching, even if you are not recording it, this is very useful.

A couple of questions:

1/ Has anyone found a way to advance to a specific time in a recorded programme, rather than having to fast forward through the entire recording?

2/ What use are the two buttons to the left and right of the Stop and Record buttions? The one to the left (an anticlockwise circular arrow) skips back 10 seconds; the one to the right (a solid right arrow and vertical bar) skips forward 30 seconds. Is there a way of configuring them to skip for different time periods?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Time for a progress update, in summary, it works. Details for those interested:

My (new) Receiver Software Version is 2.1.1.001 Mar 8 2012.

This also includes the ability to make timed recordings and to repeat them.

Another feature I have noticed is that you can rewind a program you are watching, even if you are not recording it, this is very useful.

A couple of questions:

1/ Has anyone found a way to advance to a specific time in a recorded programme, rather than having to fast forward through the entire recording?

2/ What use are the two buttons to the left and right of the Stop and Record buttions? The one to the left (an anticlockwise circular arrow) skips back 10 seconds; the one to the right (a solid right arrow and vertical bar) skips forward 30 seconds. Is there a way of configuring them to skip for different time periods?

I have not found answers to your problems. Certainly, the manual we get doesn't cover very much so it is almost all trial and error. I do have a question though. We both know how long it takes to get one of these units up and running. Now, the wife has expressed interest in recording on a TV (we have 3 Truevisions HD boxes).

I called Truevision's customer service and they confirmed they are still haveing problems with others and weren't sure if adding a second hard disk unit to another Truevisions HD box would mess up the one that is working. I know theoretically it should be no problem so I went to Truevisions Gateway to buy another Hard disk unit. However, they couldn't get the one I was going to buy to work on their own test unit which completely scared me off of this plug and play approach.

If you have more than one Truevisions HD box in your house, have you bought another hard disk unit and if so does it play as well as the first one?

Anyone else?

• 1 month later...

The drive I'm using is a Seagate Goflex ultraportable 500GB that I bought at Pantip for 3200 Baht (IIRC). Note though that this is a USB 3.0 drive which I disassembled and put into a powered SATA enclosure. The power stays on full time but I'm not really concerned about the drive life being shorted - the internal specs of the drive itself is a Seagate Momentus 5400 so the spin rate is low; even if it fails I'd expect to get couple of years of use before it does.

When the drive was plugged in fresh, the PVR told me I had 82 hours of recording time left, I assume that a 1TB drive would be at least double.

Caninbkk

Great info thanks. I just bought a Seagate GoFlex 500GB on the weekend - on the phone they suggested I but a 500GB Seagate or WD, but there was no mention of this external power source. So I have it now and hope I can make it work.

Where did you buy your powered SATA enclosure if I can ask? Is it difficult to put the Seagate in? Or better still do you knwo if the shop where you bought the enclosure could do the swap? Or do you knwo of anyone?

Thanks in advance for any reply

Caninbkk

Great info thanks. I just bought a Seagate GoFlex 500GB on the weekend - on the phone they suggested I but a 500GB Seagate or WD, but there was no mention of this external power source. So I have it now and hope I can make it work.

Where did you buy your powered SATA enclosure if I can ask? Is it difficult to put the Seagate in? Or better still do you knwo if the shop where you bought the enclosure could do the swap? Or do you knwo of anyone?

Thanks in advance for any reply

Hi Kuma,

The enclosure I have is exactly like this one:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/enclosure-box/ineo/i-na308ue-3-5inch-external-hard-drive-enclosure-usb-2-0-esata-p006509/

I believe you can order from this website, maybe if you call them up you can probably even haggle a better price.

Click on the link for "manufacturer's specifications" and you'll see a pic out the ports, two of which are the eSATA port which goes into the True decoder and the DC power port. The actual transfer of the drive is a cinch, just use a flat screwdriver to pop open the Seagate's plastic case, unscrew out the physical drive and pop it into the powered enclosure. You'll be done in 5 minutes.

You could get someone to do it for you but it's actually a lot easier than you might expect, use this website if you want step by step instructions with pictures:

http://bychaw.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-take-apart-your-seagate.html

Good luck and enjoy PVR'ing

Caninbkk

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and provide such great information.

I traverse between Bkk and Chonburi so I guess i will have to order online - hope it actually gets delivered - the post has always been disappointing for me here.

Though I will call to see if they have a shop in Bkk - no mention but guess you never know....

Hope to get it and get ready by next week.

Cheers again for the post

Another thing that seems strange is that it is a Samsung box, but they don't recomend any Samsung disks. Maybe Samsung don't make DVR style disks.

Good hunting!

I seriously doubt that the brand of disk matters, as long as it is eSATA

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

So the latest for me in this saga...

Caninbkk, I tried to buy the enclosure you mentioned but they were sold out and then discontinued it.

This past weekend a Thai friend picked me up a 2.5" Orico SATA HDD (see photo) apparently perfect for the True application required, according to him. It says SATA and eSATA so I hoped this was the real deal.

Well apparently not - there is obviously some difference between this and what is needed - the SATA or eSATA cable in the box has a head much smaller than the port on the back of the true HD box, and will not connect. So there is yet another 800 THB out the door and I am still now where I was at the start of all this, less a bunch of money.

I have tried on my own to find a box for three weeks now and had no luck so was quite happy when he said he found one. I called True even to but their high priced offering and they said they had none but would call once some came in.....not holding my breath.

Truly unbelievable - I was so looking forward to recording and watching some football this year, and was even planning on upgrading to platinum since I could record what I wanted to watch at my leisure blah blah...

Now I am pretty much fed up with the whole ordeal, not even sure I am going to bother looking anymore and certainly not going to upgrade my service, in neither of my two places here. So think of the revenue streams this outfit is missing out on by putting together this most pathetic of offerings...from just me alone they are missing out on 2000+ THB/month - and I wonder how many others have just given up as well.....

post-41989-0-95399400-1345478193_thumb.j

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just to confirm I have just set this system up and it works fine.

E-Sata Docking Station Here: http://www.thanni.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=175&products_id=5829&zenid=e938d17fb9935e495acfcfd0278edf70

I then threw in a 1TB 3.5" Western Digital Green Drive from Banana IT.

Plugged it in this morning, got Truevisions to activate it. It then came up with a warning "this system is not designed bullshit"- I hit OK. It formatted the drive. It's working fine.

I'm wondering just how much hype and mystique is being chucked around by the nice little chaps at Truevisions . . .

I pulled an old(ish)Western Digital 250 Gb out of my computer and lashed it up to an ordinary 5v power supply (from an external USB hard drive enclosure).

I'd already bought a Molex (that's the white plastic connectors you get inside your computer) to SATA converter from eBay for about $1 post free.

I plugged it into the ESATA slot in the back of the Truevision box, it told me it was formatting the drive - and 2 minutes later I was recording.

Essentially it cost me nothing as I had the bits on hand. But to go this way and do it yourself from new bits certainly wouldn't cost four or five thousand baht.

Pic of temp trial lash-up test rig attached!

R

(Hi Matt - everything's working fine!)

post-4665-0-73739800-1345987993_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

Great set up Rob!

Rob, you couldn't tell us how good your signal is?

Menu > SETUP >System Setup> Signal Setup > Enter Pin (2321) > OK > OK (again) > Should say 'choose Your Transponder' > Entry Point 1 >ok.

smile.png

Hiya.

Following your directions -

ThaiCom 100% level 255:

Quality BER 620 (about 10% on the scale)

Mean anything to you?!

Cheers,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought an Orico 2.5 in external hard drive enclosure and a 500gb Seagate HDD to use as a PVR for the Trusvisions HD box. I'm now not sure how to power the esata drive on the Orico box. The HD box has two outlets one for e-sata power and one for the e-sata cable but the Orico box only has one input, i presume for the e-sata cable. How do you power the Orico box? Do you need a special cable, from Truevisions?

Edited by chris2004
  • Like 1

So have to update on this subject

Again thanks to everyone who offered help earlier.

I did get over the fact I tried twice and ended up short.

I went again to Pantip and again tried multiple places with no luck. Then I tried just one more spot - on the 3rd floor - JIB, one of the many shops called JIB in that floor.

But the sales guy here was fantastic - very rare. HE said he had a hard drive I could use, just needed to step out and get a external ESATA box. I told him how impossible that was and he promptly came with me and we walked through the whole place with me and pressed everyone to find out where there was a box. We covered three floors, and finally..yes, we finally found one place with one box left. I could not believe it.

To top it off he did the install for me (I do not have the small tools nor the inclination) and good thing because once we opened the box it became obvious the cable was not ESATA only SATA. So again I thought I was done for but he insisted it was an ESATA box and again we went out and searched (easier this time) for an ESATA cable.

Long story short - it is installed and works a dream and I am watching GB v Seattle now......