Taking An Hiv Test At The Red Cross Clinic - A Disappointing Experience

Erap

Hi all

Went to take an HIV test at the Red Cross clinic at Ratchadamri, opposite Lumphini Park - the familiar place next to the water tower. This was the second time for me to take a test there, the first time was 5 years ago. However, this time I was somewhat disappointed with their services, and wanted to share the experience.

I went to take the test last Friday, arriving in the afternoon. The Place was absolutely packed, quite a difference from last time when there were perhaps only 2 or 3 other people waiting! After receiving my number at the front desk, I was sent upstairs to the second floor. It was not clear where I was supposed to go, as neither the staff's English nor my Thai are up to scratch... Had to wait for some time before I was accepted by a social worker. She was nice but she spoke very little English. She registered me the tests that I was supposed to take - HIV and Hepatitis - and I was sent to the other side of the corridor where I had to wait again until my number was called, and I went into the nurse's room to take the blood test.

Results are supposed to be available after just an hour, however I was late already and asked to come back on Monday.

So there came Monday morning, I went back to the place, and once again it was packed, once again no real understanding on where to go... I was finally asked to sit outside of room #1 which was where I was accepted by the social worker the last time. There were people before me waiting, with some people going in for consultation for a long period of time. Made me wonder - how long does it take to get your test registered or to receive the results? I asked again if this was the right room for me to go and was answered by a "yes". So there I was waiting for over 2 hours with, when people who came well after me were received before me, sometimes immediately! Among them were foreigners, So obviously, language was not the barrier.

After almost two and a half hours, my nerves finally betrayed me and I left. I took the test again, this time in Semitivej hospital - naturally it was 10 times more expensive, but I got privacy and a very good service, which - at least for me - was worthwhile.

It's not that I had a terrible experience at the Red Cross, and it's not like I would disqualify the place outright. However, I would suggest to someone who goes there to know what to expect... Zero privacy, very little English, nothing to help you soothe your nerves... I also strongly doubt they have an English-speaking psychologist to assist you in case the result is HIV positive (though I can't really be sure) If you view an HIV test as a delicate matter, then I would strongly suggest another place.

If you have any question or comments, I would be happy to hear

Erap

Sorry to hear about that; I like the place and seeing the other people but maybe I'm more used to Asian hospital experiences. Anyway, yes, there are sometimes a lot of people- sounds like you picked an unlucky time. Best times are probably right after 12 daily. If you want your results later, you have to get in line again for a counsellor. There are different types of counsellors and I think some are reserved for intake while others are reserved for results- so you may well have been seen after later arrivals who were at a different stage in the process. Remember that some of the people ahead of you may have been HIV positive and just discovered it- they might be in quite a bit of shock and need more time.

So yes, it's no VIP experience- but it's faster than the public hospitals and the only truly anonymous service (they will not report the results to Gov't). I have had better luck with English (my Thai is ok but doesn't really cover medical stuff well).

You could still go there for your results from them if you wanted!

Hi Erap,

I respectfully think that you would be better served to practice safe sex.

Why do you even go "there" without a condom? This is Asia.

I will apologise to you if you had to test if your wife/longterm G/F was unfaithful but it appears not to be the case.

Friday afternoon, and followed by a Monday morning. Not really the most convenient times wouldn't you say in hindsight?

You don't want to spend too much money, so it would be fair to say that neither do others for whatever test or treatment, that is what makes it busy.

Like you said; Your nerves played up and therefor you got more eager for an instant result. You go to another place, pay 10 times more and spend time there, same time or even less spend waiting longer at the first hospital would have got you the result too.

Sorry to hear that, I have been going there for a few years without any problems.

Friday afternoon might a busy time, also, in general testing is better done in the morning,

meaning some tests are only ran up to a certain time of the day there, they start pretty early.

Thai language skills might be useful there, or bringing someone who speaks Thai, but I haven't found this to be a problem to get a test and pay a bill.

I had no privacy issues, it's just a place where they draw your blood.

This is a testing facility, if you are found to be positive you will still have to go to a doctor somewhere to find treatment and follow-up.

And yes, no "English-speaking psychologist at hand" as this is a Thai Red Cross facility.

I go the clinic every six months, nothing but praise for the clinic. I always go midweek, leave Pattaya on the 5am bus, so I arrive at the clinic early morning--they open at 7:30am. I get the results after one hour, a little shopping and lunch and I'm on the bus back to Pattaya.

I suspect they can do liver enzymes as these are commonly needed by people with hepatitis and/or HIV (the latter because of the meds)

Like most government facilities of any sort, Fridays and Mondays (and any day before/after a holiday) tend to be more crowded.

I suspect they can do liver enzymes as these are commonly needed by people with hepatitis and/or HIV (the latter because of the meds)

Like most government facilities of any sort, Fridays and Mondays (and any day before/after a holiday) tend to be more crowded.

You were right about liver enzymes, they do have it, it is called liver function test there.

Edited by orchis