Best Burger And Pizza

Shot

Come to my guesthouse on Koh Mak; it's much closer than NYC!

I buy grade A Thai beef tenderloin for 400 baht per kg, grind it myself adding a little suet, then make 150g patties. Grilled with a splash of worchestshire sauce, salt & pepper; served on a nice big locally baked bun with melted real cheddar cheese, garnished with iceberg lettuce, onions & tomatoes, 250g of good quality french fries, ketchup, mayo and yellow mustard... all for 180 baht. Add a beer for 50 baht, sit back and enjoy the Vista (12-island view to the north including Koh Chang).

It's as good as anything I've eaten stateside for up to twice the cost... or more. There's no reason for the burgers to be so bad here--it's just greed.

Was gettin a semi on reading that

How do these threads always get going with somebody asking a question that clearly has no correct answer since it is all opinion. Worse, behind the person being from the US, we have no idea what his tastes are. What is considered the best Piazza by an Italian, New Yorker or somebody from Chicago varies greatly.

If the question was where to find the best NY Pizza then that would make more sense (and a question I would like answered). And by the way, the best NY Pizza I have found is Soi 4 (Ronnie's New York Pizza).

As for Burgers ... I have no idea. I either make my own or go to Burger King if I have the urge. Even this is opinion and some say the opposite but I find Burger King burgers taste more like US BK burgers than McDonald burgers in Thailand taste like US McDonald burgers.

• Like 1

How do these threads always get going with somebody asking a question that clearly has no correct answer since it is all opinion. Worse, behind the person being from the US, we have no idea what his tastes are. What is considered the best Piazza by an Italian, New Yorker or somebody from Chicago varies greatly.

If the question was where to find the best NY Pizza then that would make more sense (and a question I would like answered). And by the way, the best NY Pizza I have found is Soi 4 (Ronnie's New York Pizza).

As for Burgers ... I have no idea. I either make my own or go to Burger King if I have the urge. Even this is opinion and some say the opposite but I find Burger King burgers taste more like US BK burgers than McDonald burgers in Thailand taste like US McDonald burgers.

I always assume posts like this are looking for deep pan pizza and quality steak burgers. Why bother posting otherwise?

Plenty Italian style pizza in Bangkok.

I will try Ronny's on my next visit to the city but I hear its not really deep pan..not a problem to me as I'm not a stickler for these things....but good cheese and a crisp base are a must.

I always assume posts like this are looking for deep pan pizza and quality steak burgers. Why bother posting otherwise?

Plenty Italian style pizza in Bangkok.

I will try Ronny's on my next visit to the city but I hear its not really deep pan..not a problem to me as I'm not a stickler for these things....but good cheese and a crisp base are a must.

No, definitely not deep dish. It is thin crust but between the cheese, doe and oil it really does come the closest to NY Pizza (I've found) which is my favorite. Funny, my Thai wife will go there with me when I have a craving and she doesn't like Pizza but like his. She says it is because it doesn't have so much bread. Funny thing too is she doesn't like cheese either but always eats a few slices when we go or I have it delivered but won't even take a bite anymore of the other places I sometimes eat.

I think part of my thing is that food really provides a mental connection to being back in the US during those times of not really missing home but just thinking about this not being my homeland. I actually eat Dominoes deep dish pizza here sometimes too because it tastes like back in the US ... bottom line is I can't think of any "great" food in Thailand. There is lots I like but I don't think many people come here looking for the best burger or pizza .. I really think it is more about connecting mentally with feeling comfortable or at home here. There are many (well some) Thai Dishes I really like but I still don't ever see it as being anything but foreign to me ... After 40+ years of eating American food (even when it was Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Italian...), I imagine it will be a long time before I see Tom Yum Soup and not think it foreign to me.

Edited by Nisa

I buy grade A Thai beef tenderloin for 400 baht per kg, grind it myself adding a little suet, then make 150g patties. Grilled with a splash of worchestshire sauce, salt & pepper; served on a nice big locally baked bun with melted real cheddar cheese, garnished with iceberg lettuce, onions & tomatoes, 250g of good quality french fries, ketchup, mayo and yellow mustard... all for 180 baht. Add a beer for 50 baht, sit back and enjoy the Vista (12-island view to the north including Koh Chang).

It's as good as anything I've eaten stateside for up to twice the cost... or more. There's no reason for the burgers to be so bad here--it's just greed.

Was gettin a semi on reading that

:lol: quality!!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Could you give us the name of the guest house(address too)...your burgers sound great and so does the view! What is Songkran like on Ko Mok?

If you dont mind a visit to an Area that is racy I highly recommend the Madrid well known for its Pizza I hear its good I go there when I am suffering from major burger withdrawl and have the Bacon Cheese Burger"To die for in my opinion" It is in Pat Pong One. 78/3 Patpong Rd. Red Light district Lunch or early afternoon would be a good time small place half a dozen or so booths nice folks.

Hello Nisa,

Mind boggling! You can actually taste the difference between McDonalds' hamburgers abroad? Excuse me that was an opinion and an observation.

To be more constructive i am not shamed to admit i recommend the nana burger, i mean if you know ronnys ny pizza you don't know about the nana burger? It's right at the entrance of the nana entertainment plaza on soy 4. Outside on the street they will bake the burger and fry an egg and some bacon for you! On top some unions and perhaps a tomato and a pickle. This ensemble will be placed between 2 fresh buns and ketchup followed by a descent wrap with napkins will finish the whole peace of art of. After 9 pm on most days.

I would like to make a statement that i alwyas prefer a nana burger above a whopper or a big mac because i know and i see right in front of me how it is prepared and i mean this in the most broad sense of the word(prepared).

Well aside from the pork then but i have a strong gut.

Hello Nisa,

Mind boggling! You can actually taste the difference between McDonalds' hamburgers abroad? Excuse me that was an opinion and an observation.

Why is it so mind boggling?

It's impressive and understandable to me at the same time you can taste the difference in products where the ingredients are all the same, cooked the same way, stored the same way and handled the same in any country. Hence boggling.For me it would be more understandable if you said in comparison that a coke in the US tastes more sweet then a coke from the 711 here in bangkok.

Apologies for being off thread. But if you don't mind me asking what is the difference in taste or presentation between a US McDonalds burger and a thai Mcdonalds burger?

It's impressive and understandable to me at the same time you can taste the difference in products where the ingredients are all the same, cooked the same way, stored the same way and handled the same in any country. Hence boggling.For me it would be more understandable if you said in comparison that a coke in the US tastes more sweet then a coke from the 711 here in bangkok.

Apologies for being off thread. But if you don't mind me asking what is the difference in taste or presentation between a US McDonalds burger and a thai Mcdonalds burger?

So, you think the beef is the same in Thailand vs. the US? And by the way, it is myth that McDonalds does everything the same in every country. You ever try to get a ketchup pack in Thailand at Mcdonalds? How about consider that the Big Mac alone has different nutritional values in different countries and the calories of a Big Mac alone can vary by 100 .. http://en.wikipedia....ritional_values

Edit: McDonald's actually vary within the US & North America too to suit local tastes as well as meeting local and state laws and guidance for food preparation (from the slaughter to the table), serving and storing. A McDonalds in the Southeast of the US not only has a different menu but also has a different taste to some products then you will get in Canada.

Edited by Nisa

I might just pop over on the speedboat next weekend after reading that.

Best pizza: Pizza Pala, near Asok BTS/Terminal 21 http://www.palapizzabangkok.com/ (proper Italian style, not the lame imitation that you get in the States)

I don't think NY or Chicago Style Pizza is in anyway trying imitate Italian Style Pizza. These are 3-separate styles that are often copied in areas outside these locations because of people's preference for each. While burgers are less subjective, pizza comes down to a matter of personal choice of a style before you can even debate which is the best. The most gourmet and expensive fresh pizza in Italy, in my opinion, would not even come close to matching the great taste of a $1 slice of NY Style pizza purchased just about anywhere in the city but this certainly doesn't mean it is the best or better just my personal preference and it certainly doesn't make the other styles "lame".

So, you think the beef is the same in Thailand vs. the US? And by the way, it is myth that McDonalds does everything the same in every country. You ever try to get a ketchup pack in Thailand at Mcdonalds? How about consider that the Big Mac alone has different nutritional values in different countries and the calories of a Big Mac alone can vary by 100 .. http://en.wikipedia....ritional_values

Edit: McDonald's actually vary within the US & North America too to suit local tastes as well as meeting local and state laws and guidance for food preparation (from the slaughter to the table), serving and storing. A McDonalds in the Southeast of the US not only has a different menu but also has a different taste to some products then you will get in Canada.

This was not the question