Moving Me And My Stuff Bkk->Cm

BigJohnnyBKK

I'm moving up to Chiang Mai in stages starting next week, and my company was going to fly me up, but I've got a desktop computer/monitor/printer I need to take, as well as books and clothes etc, and just can't afford to pay the baggage overweight charges or send it as unaccompanied luggage.

So I'm thinking of asking for the cash rather than having them pay for the ticket, and either renting a car or taking the overnight train. Anyone know if the railway measures baggage? I assume that even if I had to pay extra, a few even heavy boxes wouldn't be expensive that way.

The problem with driving up is that my overseas drivers' license has expired, so I think the one-way rental companies wouldn't let me rent with them. I could probably arrange a driver, and then get a cheaper round-trip rental, I know a place for B800 a day without mileage limits, should be able to turn around BKK-CM-BKK in 24 hours, but I think the train's a better option for this trip.

When the time comes for me to completely move up, I'll probably hire a box truck with a driver, but if there are cheap bulk shipping arrangements that would certainly be less stressful.

All suggestions welcome - but keep in mind I'm on a Thai-style budget, the usual expat-on-a-package options aren't available to me.

In fact I'll have to convince my landlord I'm not skipping out on the back rent, she's been most patient with me and I fully intend to pay it out ASAP, but don't even have the full rent for this month and she's going to see me packing my stuff up in boxes 8-(

Also in a similar situation...

Last summer I brought a large internal back pack, large duffle bag and a another large 17" laptop back pack via train, the two big bags barely fit under the seats int he sleeper section.

Now I am moving from the US to CM in a few weeks and will have the same plus 1 more piece of luggage, I might just get the bottom bunk this time or two. Still not looking forward to lugging 170lbs worth of stuff all over BKK.

Maybe the bus might be better, anyone got any idea?

Thai Airways cargo just called me back (quick!) and quoted a flat ß18 per kg BKK->CM, doesn't matter packed in how many boxes, need to have a corresponding air ticket, but itt doesn't have to be with them.

That seems like a reasonable way to handle this first trip, but I'd still like further information on the other options for when I've got a whole house's worth of stuff to shift. . .

Now I am moving from the US to CM in a few weeks and will have the same plus 1 more piece of luggage, I might just get the bottom bunk this time or two. Still not looking forward to lugging 170lbs worth of stuff all over BKK.

Maybe the bus might be better, anyone got any idea?

The Thai Airways cargo's downright cheap. Just found out the Swampy "official" unaccompanied baggage is almost double that at ß32/kg, but apparently that includes door-to-door delivery?

So far all the train-related information implies it isn't an issue, a bicycle or even a motorbike can go along - or any too-large parcels - in the baggage compartment for a nominal service charge, not charged by weight or pieces.

The train trip is **much** more pleasant than a bus IMO, although it is a lot slower. But I have to ask, if you're coming straight from the US, why aren't you just booking your flights through to CM?

When we moved from the U.S. to CM we flew thru Swampy because there are limited international options direct to CM. Plus, we had frequent flyer miles on an airline that didn't serve CM.

We had a ton of luggage and did the Bangkok-CM portion on the train -- first class compartment, because we were concerned about the security of our luggage. Mind you, we've never had a problem with 2nd class, but this time we had four huge suitcases and four carry-on sized-items. Besides, it would have been really rude to our neighbors if we'd tried to store all this luggage on a 2nd class sleeper car. This way, we didn't have to sleep with our electronics in the bed with us like we do when we travel 2nd class.

Edited by NancyL

BigJohnnyBKK:

There is no Salvation Army here and there are already more than enough people who do not have it together.

Do you think you can manage Chiang Mai when you do not have enough money to pay your rent?

• Like 1

When we moved from the U.S. to CM we flew thru Swampy because there are limited international options direct to CM. Plus, we had frequent flyer miles on an airline that didn't serve CM.

We had a ton of luggage and did the Bangkok-CM portion on the train -- first class compartment, because we were concerned about the security of our luggage. Mind you, we've never had a problem with 2nd class, but this time we had four huge suitcases and four carry-on sized-items. Besides, it would have been really rude to our neighbors if we'd tried to store all this luggage on a 2nd class sleeper car. This way, we didn't have to sleep with our electronics in the bed with us like we do when we travel 2nd class.

Yeah, I saw that option, about 2000B to rent out the 1st class compartment, not too bad. It will only cost me an extra $250 to arrive in Chiang Mai, not my airline of choice, but factoring in a hotel in Bangkok and 2000B, the $150 extra might just be worth it to land in Chiang Mai worry free. I'll have to see what the fares are once I hear back from my job. Applying for non-imm B outside the country, one of the more annoying laws of Thailand, oh well...

BigJohnnyBKK,

I took Nakornchai Air (tour bus) 2 times from BKK to CM. While at the station, I saw people shipping boxes, big and small, via Nakornchai Air. I believe it doesn't cost much. You may want to explore this option. You can easily google Nakornchai Air.

Pardon me for piggy-backing here. I have finished building a dog house in our CM home for our 7 old dogs. I obviously can't ship them via bus or train. I plan on renting a close-box van and drive them there myself with my wife attending the dogs . Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by muchogra

Try Thai postal service……They will carry anything, I’ve sent motorbikes, pushbikes, boxes and lose bags, never had a problem and the fees were OK.

Thanks, didn't realize they ship such big stuff. With the computers I'd think the Thai cargo option at 18/kg would be better value, especially since I need them up there ASAP, and possibly better fragile-handling.

There is no Salvation Army here and there are already more than enough people who do not have it together.

Do you think you can manage Chiang Mai when you do not have enough money to pay your rent?

Thanks so much for your concern at a personal level, and although I'm not looking for any handouts, of course I realize that any level of charity is thin on the ground over here - as seems to be increasingly the case all around the world 8-(

I've got to give it a shot, the job's a great opportunity and they'll take care of most expenses in the early stage. As long as I can manage the kids getting taken care of properly via "remote control" for the first few weeks, that's my biggest concern of course. That's why I'd like to get the whole household moved up ASAP.

Nakornchai Air (tour bus)

I obviously can't ship them via bus or train. I plan on renting a close-box van and drive them there myself with my wife attending the dogs . Any suggestions are appreciated.

I would think they would be just as comfortable if not more in decent cages or open-slat boxes on the train than in the back of a closed-box van. I'm sure a little consideration with the staff will ensure them being given special treatment.

Unless you're talking an air-conditioned truck?

I thought you already live in Chiang Mai.

No, just visited a few times, most recently for the job interview. I've just returned to BKK in preparation for moving up to CM.

"Managing a factory, doubling production"..... "No visa, on overstay"

Can't even get here?

Troll?

Nope, I'm real. Don't know where you get the "can't even get here" idea. And in fact my mandate is to ramp production up by 5x over a few months, but the immediate PO needing filling requires an average doubling over six weeks, which means close to that 5x by the end of that anyway since the initial ramp up will take some time.

I can't imagine people having so much extra time and boredom in their lives that they'd invent such involved scenarios just for their own amusement. . .

Put it on a bus at Ekkamai - just turn up and pay about 200 baht - they will take it and store it at CM bus station until u or a friend picks it up. I'm sending up a settee from Ikea 12ft long plus a couple of smaller packs for the cusions and covers.

Put it on a bus at Ekkamai - just turn up and pay about 200 baht - they will take it and store it at CM bus station until u or a friend picks it up. I'm sending up a settee from Ikea 12ft long plus a couple of smaller packs for the cusions and covers.

No per-KG charges at all? I wasn't planning on shipping my full-size fridge but at that rate I might.

BTW found out the railway cargo shipping service is 4.5 THB per kg, you can send it the night before and then fly the next morning if you prefer, it's there by the time you arrive.

No per-KG charges at all? I wasn't planning on shipping my full-size fridge but at that rate I might.

BTW found out the railway cargo shipping service is 4.5 THB per kg, you can send it the night before and then fly the next morning if you prefer, it's there by the time you arrive.

Sorry, for Chiang mai - read Mor Chi bus station. I'm not sure how they charge for it - but if I was u I would go there or get a Thai friend to phone them to ask. It also depends on if they have room in the luggage space, but they will hold until they have. I once saw a scooter being loaded into the luggage compartment of a bus at Ekkamai - I couldn't believe how they managed to get it in but TIT - where there's a will there's a way. I would travel with your luggage though if i was u but it should be safe as houses unaccompanied as long as it ends up in the right bus.

Sorry, for Chiang mai - read Mor Chi bus station. I'm not sure how they charge for it - but if I was u I would go there or get a Thai friend to phone them to ask. It also depends on if they have room in the luggage space, but they will hold until they have. I once saw a scooter being loaded into the luggage compartment of a bus at Ekkamai - I couldn't believe how they managed to get it in but TIT - where there's a will there's a way. I would travel with your luggage though if i was u but it should be safe as houses unaccompanied as long as it ends up in the right bus.

Send with Inter express logistics BkK-CMAI very cheap.pack in bubble wrap and they will take it to you new venue in Chiang Mai.allow 1 -2 days the revive it,Cost around 200-300/Baht on the items you listed.Its comes by road and will needs to be signed for in Chiang Mai.

http://www.iel.co.th/