Which Would You Rather Have And Why?

during the last few years i have seen the baht maintain it's buying power

and increase in value against the dollar

also economic power may be shifting to the east

there are factors not as easy to see

banking, debt, commerce, etc...

as well as the emergency factor of having to leave the country

Historically I have GBP but I work in China, get paid in $US and spend mainly baht.......very conflicted!

I wish I had bought Ozzie $s some years ago but hindsight is, as ever, a wonderful thing.

Supposedly diversification is the thing in one's investment portfolio to reduce the risk so the same should be true with currencies - shouldn't it? unsure.png

I'd rather have a combination. Living in Thailand means having some THB assets here makes sense. Many people with the mantra of "don't invest in Thailand blah blah blah" have struggled as the THB has strengthened, and even more so if relying on interest income from western currencies.

Having some assets in the currency of where you came from also makes sense, for visits back home and keeping options open/ not burning bridges.

Having some assets in currencies offshore outside Thailand can be useful for investments.

Having some in USD for times of financial crisis isn't too bad an idea, while it is still viewed as a safe haven. Personally don't like USD as a long term view though.

Having some money in gold or exposure to gold isn't too bad when the world is a mess.

In terms of which will do best? I prefer Asian currencies generally to Western for a longer term view once all the above are taken into account. The balance of power is shifting from West to East so Asian generally currencies make sense.

In terms of which will do best? I prefer Asian currencies generally to Western for a longer term view once all the above are taken into account. The balance of power is shifting from West to East so Asian generally currencies make sense.

seconded!

• Like 1

I'd rather have a combination. Living in Thailand means having some THB assets here makes sense. Many people with the mantra of "don't invest in Thailand blah blah blah" have struggled as the THB has strengthened, and even more so if relying on interest income from western currencies.

There is a direct correlation between those who say that and those who have no money to invest anyway.

• Like 1

Now is the best time to be spending AUD in Thailand. If you have the capacity to earn in Thailand then sitting on it and funneling back when times are not so good for currencies like the AUD is the strategy. I do agree with your remark about the economic shift from west to east, exept I believe it is a lot more broader than just economic.

Edited by damo

Being completely financially illitirate I would still have to say that the incredible baht to USD value is the mainstaple of the farangs existence in (LOS?) To DARE to venture to introduce dual currency would probably end up in disaster . I.E. an $800 USD/month apartment that rents for 5000 Thai baht would simply rent for $800/month if you paid USD for it. So don't do it - Don't go there. Leave the USD in the library with mr. Atos and see if you can steer Obamas away from inflating overseas currencies so US can get a slightly better deal in their land of $800 a month shoebox apartments. The Annex 1 country inflation rate is the problem - not the hold over - turn of the century - 3rd world cost of living preservation. See if you can get everybody expatriating who's not here to go to South America or something. Shine the light for the June bugs on some other continent. HIDE for as long as possible. They'll get to this and equalize everything for a handfull fews greedy profits in due time most likely.

Edited by jb5music

Being completely finacially illitirate I would still have to say that the incredible baht to USD value is the mainstaple of the farangs existence in (LOS?) To DARE to venture to introduce dual currency would probably end up in disaster . ie an $800 USD/month apartment that rents for 5000 Thai baht would simply rent for $800/month if you paid USD for it. So don't do it - Don't go there. Leave the USD IN THE LIBRARY WITH MR. ATOS. (understand?)

What on earth are you talking about?

Anyone remember 1997?

Too well unfortunately.....

I arrived in Manila in early July to take up a position with a multinational and less than a week in hit-the-fan.gif

Most commentators seem to be saying that Asian banks have learnt from that and are not in the same position although what the situation is with Chinese banks though seems far from transparent.

Personally I would like to see the RMB opened up a lot more but I am not holding my breath.

Edited by topt

Being completely finacially illitirate I would still have to say that the incredible baht to USD value is the mainstaple of the farangs existence in (LOS?) To DARE to venture to introduce dual currency would probably end up in disaster . ie an $800 USD/month apartment that rents for 5000 Thai baht would simply rent for $800/month if you paid USD for it. So don't do it - Don't go there. Leave the USD IN THE LIBRARY WITH MR. ATOS. (understand?)

The same thing you were I thought - Don't implement dual currency.

what part that you should leave your US-Dollars with Mr Atos is it that you don't understand Bendix? huh.png

what part that you should leave your US-Dollars with Mr Atos is it that you don't understand Bendix? huh.png

I will bite.

I am thinking I am with Bendix on this - who or <deleted> is "Mr Atos" ?

There is a direct correlation between those who say that and those who have no money to invest anyway.

this correlation can be seen lookingat these two graphs (y-axis = frequency 1k, x-axis = ticks time months member Thaivisa).

post-35218-0-41126600-1331364250_thumb.j

post-35218-0-21376400-1331364441_thumb.j

I will bite.

I am thinking I am with Bendix on this - who or <deleted> is "Mr Atos" ?

Mr Atos is the illit-irate uncle of Mr jb5music... i reckon ph34r.png

Having some assets in the currency of where you came from also makes sense, for visits back home and keeping options open/ not burning bridges.

Having some assets in currencies offshore outside Thailand can be useful for investments.

Having some in USD for times of financial crisis isn't too bad an idea, while it is still viewed as a safe haven. Personally don't like USD as a long term view though.

Having some money in gold or exposure to gold isn't too bad when the world is a mess.

Hmm what i remember is,the US$ was always 1-25bt today it,s over 30 so whats wrong?

Hmm what i remember is,the US$ was always 1-25bt today it,s over 30 so whats wrong?

hmmm... you don't remember 1/55 in 1998 or 1/45 in 2001 or 1/42 in 2005? and you forgot that 1/20 was up to 1985 whereas 1/25 was from 1985 till mid 1997? there's nothing wrong with 30 but something very wrong with your claim "always 25".

Far fetched I will agree - Mr Atos is the keeper of a time machine called the Atavichron. Don't implement the modern affluent nations corruption, and inflated CURRENCY (not your dollars) via your trip back through the atavichron portal to a simpler, lower cost of living, time. You'll be flagged for a violation of the Prime Directive.

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episode/WhJoOMDR1zf8G7MzRDtylL6tXUY9m7ZP

hmmm... you don't remember 1/55 in 1998 or 1/45 in 2001 or 1/42 in 2005? and you forgot that 1/20 was up to 1985 whereas 1/25 was from 1985 till mid 1997? there's nothing wrong with 30 but something very wrong with your claim "always 25".

and what did $55 buy in the US in 1998 as opposed to 2012? - and how much did a 2012 $800/month shoebox appartment go for in 1998? $400?

Edited by jb5music

and what did $55 buy in the US in 1998 as opposed to 2012? - and how much did a 2012 $800/month shoebox appartment go for in 1998? $400?

i cannot comment on shoeboxes and leave that up to the experts who rent/live or have rented/lived in shoeboxwa. but whatever... no amount of shoebox rent justifies information based on ignorance such as "the US$ was always 1-25bt".

case closed. bailiff next!

i am absolutely amazed

that 10 baht still basically buys

what it did 8 years ago

as well as 30-40 baht meals

and even beer at 30 a can/bottle

the list goes on

feels freakishly stable compared to....well you know

where is the primary, or most notable inflation(s), in Thailand?

the list goes on

a free bath in the sea,

free sand at the beach,

free drinking water in the toilets of restaurants,

free calls "hansum man" from bar girls,

free sunshine when it does not rain...

ph34r.png

the list goes on

a free bath in the sea,

free sand at the beach,

ph34r.png

???

and your point is???

please try to stay on topic, thanks

no matter how difficult you may find that

the list goes on

a free bath in the sea,

free sand at the beach,

ph34r.png

This looks like a thinly disguised put down by not fully quoting, and by the off topic content of the response.

After seeing a lot jabs, stabs, and put downs on the internet, here is the 411 and why these posts convey a low morale.

-They are outside of the purpose, spirit, and rules of most forums.

-They lack manners, (n)etiquette, maturity and self control.

-Often are feeble attempts at humor at someone else's expense.

-Ways of feeling superior.

-Clearly express deeper inner character flaws and insecurities.

-Completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

Please for god sakes try and control yourselves and push for a higher standard.

the list goes on

a free bath in the sea,

free sand at the beach,

ph34r.png

???

and your point is???

my comments are bloody well justified in context with "10 baht still basically buys what it did 8 years ago".

ridiculous statements invite ridiculing comments. welcome to reality!

the list goes on

a free bath in the sea,

free sand at the beach,

ph34r.png

???

and your point is???

my comments are bloody well justified in context with "10 baht still basically buys what it did 8 years ago".

ridiculous how?

it is a factual statement

an indication of economic stability

not silly or condescending or 'out there'

Edited by deejah

the list goes on

a free bath in the sea,

free sand at the beach,

ph34r.png

???

and your point is???

disrespectful

childish tit for tat

disappointing

your 'reality' is extremely limited

the opposite of uplifting

Edited by deejah