Selling A Big Bike In Thailand, What A Joke..

roban

I recently offered an elder and cheap "Big Bike" in thaivisa classifieds and Baht***d.

I think, I got about 20 or more replies, where people asked for my phone number, which I mailed (most) of them.

Two people rang back, made appointments, but never showed up.

2-3 sent mails and asked ME to visit them, because they have no time, bike, car, blabla to come...hit-the-fan.gif

Some wanted to trade in some BS...

But the rest, never rang or sent mails.

I don't need to sell now, tomorrow or next week, but was wondering whats wrong with these people/timewaster/wannabe's?

has somebody made the same experiences?

PS: this did not happen, when I sold my and missus scooter.

Seems to be a "Big Bike" thing...

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classifieds are all the same the world around. I have had the same scams attempted on me when selling things online Thailand as I would in the US. Add to this the lack of personal interaction and you have people who don't respond because they decided not to pursue it and since they don't know you, why bother to tell them you change of plan. I am guilty of this as well :/

• Like 1

Perhaps the elder, cheap big bike doesn't really interest people.

Is it fully legal with green book? Can they go to a dealer and buy spare parts? Probably not.

Perhaps they were initially interested, contacted you, then took a better look at the market and couldn't be bothered.

Is it fully legal with green book? Can they go to a dealer and buy spare parts? Probably not.

Perhaps they were initially interested, contacted you, then took a better look at the market and couldn't be bothered.

And being 'fully legal' does not, as in our home countries simply mean the registration (green) book.

There are many other documents needed here (for obvious reasons) for the bike to be proven to be the seller's' possession. Tabien baan/ID card (in the case of Thai Nationals being primarily amongst them.

If you are offered any bike with anything less than these, you are receiving stolen goods. And theft, particularly of vehicles, is taken very (jail time) seriously here.

There are some idiots out there. I was recently selling a brand new ipod nano (now sold) on thai visa classified. Some guy e-mailed me and offered me 1,000 baht. Cheeky <deleted>. I told him where he could stick his 1,000 Baht. People like that make my blood boil... LOL.

There are idiots everywhere. Sellers and (potential) buyers. Employers doing job offers and employees searching jobs. Babies, kids, teens, adults and wannabes... And its getting worser and worser with help of internet and all the "free of charge" classifieds.

But one thing is for sure: If you offer an interesting motorbike for a really interesting price on a place where bikers are, than soon someone will buy it. If not, than you do something wrong, or you are the only one who thinks its an interesting offer.

There are idiots everywhere. Sellers and (potential) buyers. Employers doing job offers and employees searching jobs. Babies, kids, teens, adults and wannabes... And its getting worser and worser with help of internet and all the "free of charge" classifieds.

But one thing is for sure: If you offer an interesting motorbike for a really interesting price on a place where bikers are, than soon someone will buy it. If not, than you do something wrong, or you are the only one who thinks its an interesting offer.

calling people "tire kickers" and "time wasters" when they ask what kind of bike is for sale is not

a good strategy to get them interested

the market dictates the price of anything ,ive never had trouble selling a bike but i always price them realistically for what it is and if i dont get any buyer i drop the price a little every week until i find out what the market IS wiling to pay

this guy raves like an idiot and most people will simply not buy a bike from someone like that ;)

I think some of the posters don't understand. Or they need to adjust their "sarcasm detector" happy.png

1. I did not post in this forum to offer the bike, or whining about not selling it. So it's irrelevant which bike it is. It is easy to find in the classifieds. Don't see it? Send me a PM

I asked, if somebody made the same experiences, when selling a Big Bike, regarding this kind of people, who want to have anything but never show up.

2. I have no problem with people, who show up, to see the bike and don't like it, find it too expensive, or whatever.

And sure, people who phone me many times, telling stories, why they cannot come today/tomorrow, but 100% next weekend etc. pp. ARE time-waster.

Other wanted to reserve the bike and come definitely on day x to pick it up...laugh.png

Ahh forgot, and the two idiots guys, who wanted to pay with Paypal (but never seen the bike), and I should send the bike by post, somewhere to the sticks

But I suspect, in reality, the missus (and her empty wallet?) was the show-stopper of some/most "potential buyers"...tongue.png

But as mentioned before, this behaviour did never happen, when I sold other items.

Edited by roban

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in Thailand. Usually bought from friends or friends of friends and have usually sold to people I know or friends of people I know and have to say that I've never suffered any drama on a bike sale or purchase here in Thailand. I rather think ones ATTITUDE has a lot to do with the success or failure of a transaction... Perhaps rather than blaming others the OP should take a step back and see if there's not something he could do to make these transactions go more smoothly? Just sayin... wai.gif

• Like 1

I don't think it's beyond reasonable to ask what type of bike it is, and was it sitting outside, I have gone to look at stuff in the past and under the owners description made the journey to go take a look, when I got there the item was outside and was not as the seller described, I never bothered calling or knocking the door, just drove on in frustration...so it works both ways mate, not saying this is your situation but a little more info might help explain it, you seem very reluctant to share any details with us which makes me think you have an idea all of your own as to what happened.

This is not meant to take sides but I think the OP has chosen to not disclose on this forum given that he's probably not selling a widely sold bike and more than likely his bike is the only one of its type currently listed....thus immediately making himself known on an Internet forum where he hopes to remain anonymous.

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in Thailand. Usually bought from friends or friends of friends and have usually sold to people I know or friends of people I know and have to say that I've never suffered any drama on a bike sale or purchase here in Thailand]

Pah..dealing with friends and their friends is too easy, that doesn't count...wink.png

But serious,

I sold some motorbikes too, over the years (but never big one's) and never had a problem with potential buyers, nor selling them.

I think, there are two categories of (more or less legal) 2nd Big Bikes (and their potential buyer)

1. The "preminum" bikes, price range starts, lets say from 250K or more.

2. The old and cheap ones like mine. Lets say 64K (<--a small hint..)

3. The "midrange", I think mostly covered by new bikes (?) CBR's etc.

I am sure, you will deal with two completely different types of clientele when advertising a "premium" or a cheap one.

Edited by roban

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in Thailand. Usually bought from friends or friends of friends and have usually sold to people I know or friends of people I know and have to say that I've never suffered any drama on a bike sale or purchase here in Thailand]

. Lets say 64K (<--a small hint..)

a hint? do you treat your prospective buyers like this ?

?

This is not meant to take sides but I think the OP has chosen to not disclose on this forum given that he's probably not selling a widely sold bike and more than likely his bike is the only one of its type currently listed....thus immediately making himself known on an Internet forum where he hopes to remain anonymous.

Than he should not offer his bike here. As he said before, you can easily find it. But i don't think this makes him "known". Its his nick name, nothing more.

OP, offer better pictures and more information. And if still noone is interested, make it cheaper. Below some point even i would buy it :)

But you can not compare selling a modern scooter in LOS, maybe 3 years old with selling an old bike, maybe 15, 20 or even 30 years old :)

its obviously not "priced to sell" because any time i put a bike up i got heaps of calls

even for bikes that are not what you might call "desirable"

hes afraid to show us the ad because it is likely too much money for some old crap :D

...when I got there the item was outside and was not as the seller described, I never bothered calling or knocking the door, just drove on in frustration...

Agree, happened many times before, in my home country, when buying 2nd hand cars...

But in my case, the bike is parked inside the house and this makes me sure, that nobody ever showed up...happy.png

...thus immediately making himself known on an Internet forum where he hopes to remain anonymous.

Nah, anonymity is not my problem, otherwise I would have registered a new nickname.

The bike is uninteresting in this case, even I gave some hints about it. cool.png

It's the "buyers" behaviour, what I am talking about

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in Thailand. Usually bought from friends or friends of friends and have usually sold to people I know or friends of people I know and have to say that I've never suffered any drama on a bike sale or purchase here in Thailand. I rather think ones ATTITUDE has a lot to do with the success or failure of a transaction... Perhaps rather than blaming others the OP should take a step back and see if there's not something he could do to make these transactions go more smoothly? Just sayin... wai.gif

Right, Chief. SURE, It's usually if not always the OP's fault. Get a grip please!

First, if OP starts naming his bike here and the price, some unhappy soul will report him to the mods. And then? I've seen it happen - off to the classified segment and the dialog stopped.

Second, I did once notice with an old bike, a Norton or BSA as I cannot recall, I did have phone calls (to newspaper adverts) that were clearly not so much associated with the desire to buy as to gather information. This was before broad use of the I'net, but in any case, it was just curiousity (which evidently wained when they hung up). Also, in those days, neither bike was of value as an antique or static display.

With newer and smaller bikes too, there is more of a market, and one can get a sense of value. A BIG and old bike carries with it many uncertainties, including those inside of the potential buyer.

I had the same bike for sale 2 years ago. It was the "V" version and in similar condition as yours. It took me about 3 months to sell it, started at 65K, finally sold it for 5XK....and I had my fair share of tyre kickers and scammers.

In the end I sold it to a guy who bought it without even seeing it in person first and I sent it to him per post. He must have sold it on again, because it's back for sale in the classifieds 55....small world.

Edited by mezcal

OK, its his decision to seperate this thread from selling the bike.

If interested you can google the username inside the site:classifieds.thaivisa.com smile.png

precisely, posts deleted. OP has his bike on the classifieds , it is not appropriate to sell it here.

As he rightly stated, he wants to know if others have had the same experiences, keep it limited to that thanks.

hehehe i saw a lovely tmax today but 500K baht....

but the dealer said i could test drive it except on sundays....

so im gonna ride it like i stole it and no intention of buying it .... hehehehe.....

seriously 500K for that???? 200k might be ok though...

And being 'fully legal' does not, as in our home countries simply mean the registration (green) book.

There are many other documents needed here (for obvious reasons) for the bike to be proven to be the seller's' possession. Tabien baan/ID card (in the case of Thai Nationals being primarily amongst them.

If you are offered any bike with anything less than these, you are receiving stolen goods. And theft, particularly of vehicles, is taken very (jail time) seriously here.

ERRR excuse my ignorance but just because the person selling has a Tabien Baan/ID card how does this make the bike anymore legit other than the name in the book matches the person ID, the book can still be well dodgy.

Ive been looking for a bike for a while now and I see many books that are clearly for another bike but the names match and so do the numbers.

so im gonna ride it like i stole it and no intention of buying it .... hehehehe.....

its retards people like yourself who make it hard for genuine buyers to get a test drive

on an expensive bike they want to buy

Why would you do that?

Why would you do that?

Probably a cheapskate wanting to ride a bike he cant afford. I would never test drive anything i have no intention of buying. That being said if i dont like it after the ride i wont buy it.